IGNORED

Pre Match Beer

Rich VFR

Hi all...

Tomorrow I'm heading to Ashton Gate for the first time since 1992 (City just signed Jacki Dziekanowsk I believe) as my other half now lives in the city and friends regularly go so I've decided to give the gate a visit.

Previously watched WSM regularly as well as the odd visit to Staffordshire.

Is there a good home pub to stop by for a quick beer before kick off? Think we're coming via Bedminster.

Thanks in advance. 

22 minutes ago, Rich VFR said:

Hi all...

Tomorrow I'm heading to Ashton Gate for the first time since 1992 (City just signed Jacki Dziekanowsk I believe) as my other half now lives in the city and friends regularly go so I've decided to give the gate a visit.

Is there a good home pub to stop by for a quick beer before kick off? Think we're coming via Bedminster.

Thanks in advance. 

The Cottage.

As Cynic says head straight for AG. The bar and grill in the South Stand (although it get busy) or any one of the beer outlets around outside or in the concourse.

It's very different to 25 years ago and you're in for a jaw dropping experience. Most of us saw the gradual redevelopment of AG as it was happening so it's never been a surprise to most of us. 

There'll be a lot going on around the stadium and you can even watch a band on the stage if you fancy it.

Going to matches at AG these days is a great experience and I'm sure you'll love it.

1 hour ago, Rich VFR said:

Hi all...

Thanks in advance. 

I think you will spend the first 10 mins picking your jaw off the floor it has changed that much, post later and tell us all what you think, like someone who has never seen the Shawshank redemption, I envy you your sense of amazement you will surely get seeing it for the first time.

9 hours ago, Rich VFR said:

Hi all...

Thanks in advance. 

ship and castle or wedlocks best bet........

As others have said - ignore the pubs and get to the ground - go see the shop, sports bar and outside fans zone and then take a walk and a beer inside and gave a look - envious (as others) as I have seen it develop and really don't appreciate the magnificence of what has been done - you so will !!

If you follow the advice to go to the ground early for the bars outside the ground, beware, there are no toilets outside the ground. You have to go into the sports bar, which is usually packed, or the ground itself. Once you go into the ground you can't come out again but there are plenty of bars in the concourse, though not much of a selection of beer. On the way keep clear of the centre or bottom of Park Street as roads are closed for cycling event

As others have said as you've not been there for so long you should go straight to the ground and take in the changes, there is a lot to see! In fact you can do a pub crawl around the ground now. Start with the sports bar on the corner between where the Williams and East End used to be, but get there early, it gets packed. Then there is the fans village outside which has bars, food and a live band ( no toilets though) Finally if you go through the turnstiles you are free to wander round three very different concourses all decorated with memorabilia and that have more bars and food (and posh bogs). Hope we win after that build up.

10 hours ago, Rich VFR said:

Hi all...

Thanks in advance. 

Try "The Little Grosvenor"-you can do a spot of shopping whilst having a 'natch....'every one's a winner.

49 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

As others have said as you've not been there for so long you should go straight to the ground and take in the changes, there is a lot to see! In fact you can do a pub crawl around the ground now. Start with the sports bar on the corner between where the Williams and East End used to be, but get there early, it gets packed. Then there is the fans village outside which has bars, food and a live band ( no toilets though) Finally if you go through the turnstiles you are free to wander round three very different concourses all decorated with memorabilia and that have more bars and food (and posh bogs). Hope we win after that build up.

And don't forget to take a look at the Atyeo statue

11 minutes ago, Homer Simpson said:

Strange, no more comment from the op. But I suppose if your driving down from London you wont be able to.

Yep, you'd think the 'friends who regularly go to AG' might have been able to recommend a 'home pub.'

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

:facepalm: .........   In your opinion.

Not everyone agrees with that view judging by the people I chat to.

:facepalm:......... Yes in my opinion.

Walking out the Gate last season after yet another loss and 1 win in about 3 months, and having to hear a band blare out crap, did my head in!

Archived