IGNORED

Can we sell it out ?

shelts

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Loved catching the No 9 bus from Hanham Bus Depot (Tollgate now) to the Gate in the dim and distant past of my youth... (quite a walk from Gas country Cadbury Heath where I grew up, along roads, lanes and across fields full of cows (Longwell Green ASDA/ B&Q/ Home base etc now btw ;)) to Stone Hill and onto Hanham.  The old green Bristol Omnibus (sometimes even had the old hop on hop off platform types) I can still smell the distinctive smell of them old leather seats now if I think of them.

Happy days indeed slowly making our way through the huge crowds thronging the streets of Bemmy on their red and white army march towards the Gate... wonderful when we had a big game on. 

The rossett and program sellers greeting us at the park end entrance.. great days, all building up to cheering on the lads and the game itself, Gibbo, Garland, Galley, Parr, Wimshurst, Taunton, Sharpe, Skirton etc... then the rush back to get a seat on the No 9 from across the road near the bogs by the park.. for a steamy hot ride back to Hanham and a walk across the cow pat covered fields home (was like dodging landmines sometimes and we didn't always succeed! :laugh:) picking up a Green Un along the way.. loved it all... and those green bus journeys were very much part of most match day experiences back then too.

Back then, for us, I guess come to think about it, it was tarmac roads a truly grass routes football. :) 

I'm getting all teary here with nostalgia. Similar scenario to us coming in from Nailsea.  When we got home it was time for tea and then wait for the Saturday Western to start on TV normally after Pops made us endure The Black & White Minstrel Show. Mind you as we got older there was normally a party on and the lure of shagging Denise, Lesley, Linda, Marcia, Lizzie or Jane made for a good conclusion to the day especially after a win.

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

I'm not advocating that we don't strive to get there but just saying it worry's me. In that respect it's one reason I am very happy that we have someone like SL at the helm. I agree with you about the bubble as it must burst at some point and will take a lot of clubs with it unless they have their wits about them.

I can't wait for the day that the ' bubble ' bursts.

All those foreign owners trying to buy personal glory at the expense of ordinary fans and football clubs will be weeping in their champagne. 

I cannot stand clubs who have cheated their way to the trough. 

How can any club survive paying more than it earns only on player's wages ? 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

All those foreign owners trying to buy personal glory at the expense of ordinary fans and football clubs will be weeping in their champagne. 

I read somewhere that when the Venky's bought Blackburn they didn't realise that there was such a thing as relegation.  Their chickens have come home to roost now !!

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It's coming trust . How does any club afford £198 million for a player with a rich normally foreign owner ?

7 minutes ago, shelts said:

It's coming trust . How does any club afford £198 million for a player with a rich normally foreign owner ?

Apparently his deal includes a percentage of the profits from the owners Hotel portfolio ................ FFS !!

8 minutes ago, shelts said:

U can make it up. Did the Venkys pay in chicken ?

I'm talking Neymar and PSG.  Is there that much chicken in India that the Venky's could use as hard currency if they wanted to buy someone like him?

How many breasts & thighs would Messi cost I wonder ?

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I'm talking Neymar and PSG.  Is there that much chicken in India that the Venky's could use as hard currency if they wanted to buy someone like him?

How many breasts & thighs would Messi cost I wonder ?

Big T I nose u was on about Neymar , I was keeping it funny !!

Not sure why everyone is so negative, if Stoke see this competition as the best way to reach a European competition, they could put out an excellent team of star players - think most of you forget the signings they now have and are fixated on the Stoke of old. Jese, Bojan, Zouma, Butland, Shaqiri...

I know they put out a slightly weakened team vs Rochdale, but if they want to win they are unlikely to under-estimate us.

5 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Loved catching the No 9 bus from Hanham Bus Depot (Tollgate now) to the Gate in the dim and distant past of my youth... (quite a walk from Gas country Cadbury Heath where I grew up, along roads, lanes and across fields full of cows (Longwell Green ASDA/ B&Q/ Home base etc now btw ;)) to Stone Hill and onto Hanham.  The old green Bristol Omnibus (sometimes even had the old hop on hop off platform types) I can still smell the distinctive smell of them old leather seats now if I think of them.

Happy days indeed slowly making our way through the huge crowds thronging the streets of Bemmy on their red and white army march towards the Gate... wonderful when we had a big game on. 

The rossett and program sellers greeting us at the park end entrance.. great days, all building up to cheering on the lads and the game itself, Gibbo, Garland, Galley, Parr, Wimshurst, Taunton, Sharpe, Skirton etc... then the rush back to get a seat on the No 9 from across the road near the bogs by the park.. for a steamy hot ride back to Hanham and a walk across the cow pat covered fields home (was like dodging landmines sometimes and we didn't always succeed! :laugh:) picking up a Green Un along the way.. loved it all... and those green bus journeys were very much part of most match day experiences back then too.

Back then, for us, I guess come to think about it, it was tarmac roads a truly grass routes football. :) 

And me walked from stone hill to Hanham no 9 bus to rising Sun few beers and onto the east end

5 minutes ago, shelts said:

Big T I'm off work after having me hip done , OTIB is saving my life . I'm posting mostly rubbish !!

We have a song about Europe!!

Good luck Shelts, I understand fully. I'm waiting to have both knees replaced myself.

PS: posting rubbish on here is what OTIB is all about !!  Just talk to TFJ !!

6 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

*Grass routes clubs like us?

I'd just like to point out to any potential visiting supporters reading this . 

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need 4x4 off-roaders  or horse drawn carriages to come to our place in the West Country backwaters....

You may well be surprised to hear that we've actually got tarmac and everything here in Bristol nowadays, the old farmer stereotype is grossly unfair...  awlroit me ol' babbers just sayin'  :farmer: 

(that goes for potential footballers contemplating a move to The Gate too, although obviously you can bring your 4x4 Chelsea tractors with you if you really must... no need to though a state of the art off-road MetroBus will be along in a minute or two!)

Grass routes my arse :yawn:

If you've got grass roots in your arse WH you need to change your toilet paper - or start using it. :)

18 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Good luck Shelts, I understand fully. I'm waiting to have both knees replaced myself.

PS: posting rubbish on here is what OTIB is all about !!  Just talk to TFJ !!

TFJ's posts aren't that good!

6 hours ago, BigTone said:

I'm getting all teary here with nostalgia. Similar scenario to us coming in from Nailsea.  When we got home it was time for tea and then wait for the Saturday Western to start on TV normally after Pops made us endure The Black & White Minstrel Show. Mind you as we got older there was normally a party on and the lure of shagging Denise, Lesley, Linda, Marcia, Lizzie or Jane made for a good conclusion to the day especially after a win.

With that choice of girls I'm guessing you got off the bus in Old Market?

Archived