IGNORED

How can we complete with this....

Eddie Notgetinya

1 hour ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I know parachute payments are a hot topic on here and this may well of been mentioned before.....

I was just watching the game back and skys Gary Weaver said last years relegated teams will receive 50 MILLION pounds in their first year back in the Championship!!! 50 million quid for being shite is frankly Scandalous. 

Not a bad reward for failing is it :grr: ?

5 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I know parachute payments are a hot topic on here and this may well of been mentioned before.....

I was just watching the game back and skys Gary Weaver said last years relegated teams will receive 50 MILLION pounds in their first year back in the Championship!!! 50 million quid for being shite is frankly Scandalous. 

How can we compete against this?  And yet , we did.

5 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

If you are paid for being shite then we should have received £70m for last season.

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

All that money and they were still bang average!

But yes, I agree, parachute payments are a joke. Villa's bench probably earn more than our entire squad.

Terry is on a reported £80k a week. :facepalm: Wouldn't swap him for Baker that's for sure.

Of course Bruce is pleading poverty, getting his excuses in early.

FFP was never about fair play, it was about keeping the big teams big and the small teams small. I actually think FFP has made the situation worse than better, all it's done is restricted certain clubs based on luck and allowed the bigger clubs first access to the best players with the rest fighting for the scraps.

58 minutes ago, Spike said:

FFP was never about fair play, it was about keeping the big teams big and the small teams small. I actually think FFP has made the situation worse than better, all it's done is restricted certain clubs based on luck and allowed the bigger clubs first access to the best players with the rest fighting for the scraps.

Financial fair play is resulting in fairer play. 

The status quo is similar because those with the biggest incomes still have the biggest incomes. The biggest clubs get access to a, b, c  because of their wealth, which is the same as it ever was. The EPL feeds on the championship, Bristol City feed on BRFC and take that is their  best players .. That is the status quo. 

What financial fair play has done is prevent clubs spending money they do not have beyond what are serviceable losses for a stipulated period. Less clubs are going into administration, losing their stadiums etc as a result of FFP and its lower league variant. Bristol City no longer spend 140% more than they earn as a result. This has to be a good thing. A sane thing, This is fairer.

Bristol City are not where they are because of luck. Luck is an uncontrollable. The far reaching decisions like redevelopment, five pillars, Bristol Sport, the project are controllable as were decisions in the past good and bad. Luck will not define BCFC's future it is strategy and focus.

21 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The status quo is similar because those with the biggest incomes still have the biggest incomes. The biggest clubs get access to a, b, c  because of their wealth, which is the same as it ever was. The EPL feeds on the championship, Bristol City feed on BRFC and take that is their  best players .. That is the status quo. 

What financial fair play has done is prevent clubs spending money they do not have beyond what are serviceable losses for a stipulated period. Less clubs are going into administration, losing their stadiums etc as a result of FFP and its lower league variant. Bristol City no longer spend 140% more than they earn as a result. This has to be a good thing. A sane thing, This is fairer.

Bristol City are not where they are because of luck. Luck is an uncontrollable. The far reaching decisions like redevelopment, five pillars, Bristol Sport, the project are controllable as were decisions in the past good and bad. Luck will not define BCFC's future it is strategy and focus.

In theory, it sounds great but theory and practice are two different things. 
Whilst FFP is in place and the silly parachute payments are a thing I don't see football as competitive, it's just maintaining the big 5-6 clubs in the Prem whilst allowing all the clubs below to fight for the scraps. 

21 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Of course that's the theory and in some cases the practice too.  But then you get loop-holes like stadium sponsoring, that distort the finances.

From my cynical view FFP was brought in to stop Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea (at the time) dominating European competitions. If Platini was still in office, he'd have no issues with PSG doing what they are doing.  

The idealist in me would love to see some form of draft system / swap system, but that would never get voted for.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of course that's the theory and in some cases the practice too.  But then you get loop-holes like stadium sponsoring, that distort the finances.

From my cynical view FFP was brought in to stop Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea (at the time) dominating European competitions. If Platini was still in office, he'd have no issues with PSG doing what they are doing.  

The idealist in me would love to see some form of draft system / swap system, but that would never get voted for.

Of course these rules will be abused .. Look at their owners.  

English Clubs are carrying less debt. A fact. An improvement.

Arsenal ran their FC responsibly - Profits v huge losses were made.. FFP was not created to Arsenal.

You can be cynical but what was occurring and still does in English football at its zenith and lower is obscene. More debt than the rest of Europe. A basket case, Anything that slowed down, pushed back that madness is and was a good thing.

I think doing what we're doing now is probably the best bet. I was talking to a Villa fan on Twitter and he was impressed with the football we played and said we was the better footballing team Friday night. I said we've spent around 10 million (probably more) And he couldn't believe how little we've spent and how good of a side we are

2 hours ago, Spike said:

In theory, it sounds great but theory and practice are two different things. 
Whilst FFP is in place and the silly parachute payments are a thing I don't see football as competitive, it's just maintaining the big 5-6 clubs in the Prem whilst allowing all the clubs below to fight for the scraps. 

Steve Lansdown via BCFC votes for the silly parachute payments and for other regulation like the EPPP both of which uphold the status quo. Its the EPL's money to do as they see fit. Its not the football leagues cash.

Clubs are behaving more responsibly due to FFP. FFP would never lead to the revolution you want because football does not work that way. It is like expecting Steve Lansdown to one morning wake up and decide he is no longer a capitalist.

Can someone explain what these parachute payments are for please? The way I understand it is that after spending time in the promised land and getting relegated it is to ensure they don't go under because while they were in said promised land they overspent trying to stay there. Is this right?

Personally based on this I think it's a joke! Split the payments evenly between all clubs and make it a level playing field rather than favouring the "bigger" clubs to yoyo between the premier league and championship for all of eternity!

11 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Can someone explain what these parachute payments are for please? The way I understand it is that after spending time in the promised land and getting relegated it is to ensure they don't go under because while they were in said promised land they overspent trying to stay there. Is this right?

Personally based on this I think it's a joke! Split the payments evenly between all clubs and make it a level playing field rather than favouring the "bigger" clubs to yoyo between the premier league and championship for all of eternity!

I actually think you need some kind of parachute payment. If you get to the prem you need some prem quality players and their wages will be high. + players who need new contracts will expect more. At that point, the prem TV revenue covers the wages etc but despite being good the Championship TV deal is nowhere in the league of prem. Relegation brings about a huge loss in revenue that could leave clubs dangerously short. Remember it's not always a club who just arrived in the prem that goes down. Using Villa as an example it really isn't surprising that they had very high wages when relegated. I not saying the figures are necessarily right but you definitely need something in place.

When it comes to FFP I like the idea in principle but what it really does is maintain the status quo. The bigger clubs have the highest turnovers/profit and can afford to buy/keep the best players. It's pretty much impossible for clubs outside that group to reach that brand level without having sustained success and it's really hard to do that if you can't get the best players to start with and when you show any signs of success the bigger clubs swoop in to take your best players.

51 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Its not everybody money to split to start with. the moneys generated by the premier league not the leagues below naïve to think they will share it that not what the premier league is about.

32 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

When it comes to FFP I like the idea in principle but what it really does is maintain the status quo. The bigger clubs have the highest turnovers/profit and can afford to buy/keep the best players.

Man Utd will always have more money!! football in England is worth billions and those billions will be kept at the top. without FFP maybe it would be worse as clubs owned by nations could start spending anything in England. the benefits of what what financial fair play does is keep less clubs going like Pompey.

36 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

1. Man Utd will always have more money!! football in England is worth billions and those billions will be kept at the top. 2. Without FFP maybe it would be worse as clubs owned by nations could start spending anything in England. the benefits of what financial fair play does is keep less clubs going like Pompey.

I think in 1. you are saying the same as me, the status quo will be protected. In reply to 2. I'm not saying FFP is terrible just it doesn't do a lot of what it was implied to do when it was being voted for and then introduced (or even what the name implies). Whilst the official documents do obviously lay out what it involves it certainly doesn't make it a Financially fair market. It's more of a financial responsibility plan/ financial health plan. 

And just to quickly go back to 1.  FFP also stops clubs who could 'responsibly' spend more than they earn but having a wealthy owner. So you can't have a Blackburn under Jack Walker scenario or a Man City again. SL couldn't suddenly decide to spend spend spend to get us to glory. I think you could easily have a debate whether that is good or bad but the fact is it can't really happen now unless people find and are prepared to exploit some kind of loophole (PSG at the moment maybe). . 

Archived