IGNORED

how to win friends and influence people

where's the joy

pace out wide, power at the back, plenty of gas in the midfield tank, Bobby top scorer, what more could we want?

well LJ for some reason has made friends with the board but has yet to prove he can influence his people in a game, judging by the reaction of most supporters.

we may not get a Fergie who could stretch injury time in matches until his team scored or an Allardyce who's tactics could outsmart most;

but what we want is evidence that tactical switches and substitutions that our manager makes will influence a game in real time.

for instance we were 50-50 with Villa yet the substitutions came too late and served no purpose. ditto many other games

the squad is full of real promise, the tempo we hope to play at is thrilling.

there is so much going for the club right now BUT street smart tactics, reacting to game circumstances and inspired substitutions is what we crave to turn all that promise into a real challenge

come on LJ you've got a great train set now ,show us you have learned how to drive it.

18 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

pace out wide, power at the back, plenty of gas in the midfield tank, Bobby top scorer, what more could we want?

well LJ for some reason has made friends with the board but has yet to prove he can influence his people in a game, judging by the reaction of most supporters.

we may not get a Fergie who could stretch injury time in matches until his team scored or an Allardyce who's tactics could outsmart most;

but what we want is evidence that tactical switches and substitutions that our manager makes will influence a game in real time.

for instance we were 50-50 with Villa yet the substitutions came too late and served no purpose. ditto many other games

there is so much going for the club right now BUT street smart tactics, reacting to game circumstances and inspired substitutions is what we crave to turn all that promise into a real challenge

come on LJ you've got a great train set now ,show us you have learned how to drive it.

Like against Watford?

24 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

Ah the daily subtle dig at LJ thread .Must have arrived late with ' the Papers ' .

Being able to react to changes made by the opposition does seem to be an area where City need to improve. In most games this season our early play has been so good as to force the opposition to change their game plan to compensate. The trouble is it's largely worked. I can't imagine it's simple and maybe we simply don't have the players to do it, but the pattern of initial dominance followed by a tactical change by the opposition and then a slow but sure wresting of control from City is becoming quite familiar and will likely cost us in the games against the wilier managers in the league, of which there are several.

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

How to win friends and influence people .

Many  moons ago I stole a  copy of this book from the Salivation Army shop .

I never even read it .

You didn't really miss anything. The only bit of advice I gleaned from it, on page 74, was that if you wanted to win friends and influence people don't steal anything from a charity shop.

22 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Could it simply be that som of our players are only fit enough to play for 60 minutes?

No excuses these days for not being fit enough but I have to agree as a whole team were not fit enough. Especially to play the counter attack pressing style LJ wants to play. 

The goal conceded against villa was down to Patterson being knackered and not chasing his man before it broke for the chap to score a lucky goal , this was in the 61st minute!!

51 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Only one defeat in the league, still in the cup.. not been too bad when you look at the bigger picture.

Granted, Brentford were better than us and we couldn't break down Millwall - but we didn't lose either game. Last season we probably would've lost both.

Early days but not too bad really.

Definitely Brentford not sure about Millwall though

believe it or not I'm not having a go at LJ I'm encouraging him to throw the managerial dice.

he's got so much set up 'just right' now with oodles of potential and some great pairings like wright and baker.

i want us to kick on and show some form and power.

i think it will now come down much more to a battle of wits with other wily old managers than the quality of player we will be putting out

so tactics, canny substitutions and reacting to other teams reacting!!!

27 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I think you have made that quite clear, Major, and this would also explain your constant drivel ;).

Bravo Phil , the only one to pick up on my spoof post .

I thought putting in  ' Salivation ' instead  of ' Salvation ' might get people thinking but alas ! 

Interesting how the human brain sees what it wants to see.

I'm reading Dale Carnegie's follow up which is how to stop worrying and getting stressed. 

Even though it was written in the late 40s, the book is actually very good.

Had Dale been alive in the mid 80's, his book would've only been one page. It would have said the following.....

I have written this book for those in the World who haven't found a cure for stress and anxiety. The only people I know who have overcome stress and anxiety are fans of Bristol City who supported them from October 1980 to November 1984 and beyond. 

Actually come to think about it, maybe that's why I am reading the book! 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Bravo Phil , the only one to pick up on my spoof post .

I thought putting in  ' Salivation ' instead  of ' Salvation ' might get people thinking but alas ! 

Interesting how the human brain sees what it wants to see.

What is also interesting is that, when caught out having made a mistake, the human brain can be so inventive in trying to find an excuse to deny it :whistle:.

On 8/29/2017 at 03:38, where's the joy said:

To be honest there is quite a bit of evidence to support this. In fact, LJ spent a lot of last season being criticised on here for the exact opposite - Why does he always have to make a change to get us playing, why can't he get us set up right from the beginning etc. Last season we were 4th best in the league at picking up points from losing positions. So I can only assume yo are basing this on the few games we have had this year (of which we have lost 1).

Archived