IGNORED

DAB radio in car

iamalagerdrinker

5 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Thinking of changing my car radio over from a ~normal~ radio to a DAB? Halfords have said it's possible with my car has anyone ever made the change over? Got a 52 plate Golf 

Yep, did it with mine. - Skoda Ocatavia 03 plate.

If you`re fairly clever with your hands it`s easy enough to do but being a bit hamfisted I got my garage to do it as the car was in for a service anyway.

A couple of points that are worth noting though;

Ariel - get an inside one if you can. I`ve got an external magnetic one and it`s fine but tends to get knocked off by overhanging branches at this time of year. Also, rather than drill the bodywork, I had mine fed through the door seal and where it does that it has a tendency to leak in very wet weather.

Power connections - In some radios you might need to reverse the red and yellow wires from the way the manual tells you to connect them. Mine were connected according to the book and I found the memory functions didn`t work and I had to retune it every time I switched the engine on. Basically the cable that maintained battery power when the engine was off was reversed and just connecting the two cables the other way round solved the problem.

I wouldn`t be without it. 6music, 4extra and TMS in the car where I spend about five hours a day, what`s not to like!

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yep, did it with mine. - Skoda Ocatavia 03 plate.

If you`re fairly clever with your hands it`s easy enough to do but being a bit hamfisted I got my garage to do it as the car was in for a service anyway.

A couple of points that are worth noting though;

Ariel - get an inside one if you can. I`ve got an external magnetic one and it`s fine but tends to get knocked off by overhanging branches at this time of year. Also, rather than drill the bodywork, I had mine fed through the door seal and where it does that it has a tendency to leak in very wet weather.

Power connections - In some radios you might need to reverse the red and yellow wires from the way the manual tells you to connect them. Mine were connected according to the book and I found the memory functions didn`t work and I had to retune it every time I switched the engine on. Basically the cable that maintained battery power when the engine was off was reversed and just connecting the two cables the other way round solved the problem.

I wouldn`t be without it. 6music, 4extra and TMS in the car where I spend about five hours a day, what`s not to like!

Top man! Thanks 

Archived