IGNORED

City v Cardiff - Fixture change for Sky, Now Fri 3rd Nov

RedM

In this thread, I have a q for @JulieH

Given Wolves-Villa is permitted to kick off at 5.30pm and I suspect other derbies likewise in recent times, why is our game shunted to a Friday night/Saturday lunchtime?

Assuming it's linked to police decisions- is Bristol City-Cardiff a higher risk category of match than say Wolves-Villa?

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Given Wolves-Villa is permitted to kick off at 5.30pm and I suspect other derbies likewise in recent times, why is our game shunted to a Friday night/Saturday lunchtime?

Assuming it's linked to police decisions- is Bristol City-Cardiff a higher risk category of match than say Wolves-Villa?

Don't be fooled into thinking the police are in favour of this being on a Friday night - their voice was to get it moved to the lunchtime

Wolves - Villa isn't that big a deal in footballing terms, it's Wolves V Birmingham that is the problem fixture, and both these games are at 12 noon

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I fully expect Sky wanted it on the Friday night as opposed to other potential tv spots. 

Birmingham v Villa is the biggest needle match followed by WBA v Wolves (obviously can only meet in the cup this season). Older fans 50+ of villa and WBA see the Villa v WBA  as the biggest Derby but the younger generations regard the games I listed as the biggest.

Yes correct sky wanted this fixture and therefore this was the change that has been eventually agreed both with ourselves and the club

at this stage there is no expectation of any bubble restrictions but will be speaking to South Wales police to see if anything changes the original policing plan. 

I am fairly confident and hopeful that bubble type games for this figure are very much a thing of the past, but each season each fixture is carefully looked at by football officers, both clubs and both sets of supporters representatives and all views taken into account , hence why this fixture has almost become a normal fixture, hopefully this will continue this season. 

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Totally agree mate, if you`re in their club you play by their rules. I was just making the point that neither us or Cardiff would have any say in the matter.

Yes I agree . Do u think we will ever see Saturday 3pm live matches?

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think if live subscription services ever happen in this country and not just for expats then yes, I think we will.

You go on hols abroad and it's always nice to watch a game on Saturday at 3. Maybe it would affect attendances if done in this country . Can't be too far away . 

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

You go on hols abroad and it's always nice to watch a game on Saturday at 3. Maybe it would affect attendances if done in this country . Can't be too far away . 

I don`t know if it would unless the leagues below the premier were covered. Most City fans aren`t going to stay at home and watch Liverpool v Arsenal rather than go to the Gate and watch City - I`d hope so anyway. What it could affect though is future generations of fans who might not ever start going to their local clubs if the `big boys` were on TV.

7 minutes ago, shelts said:

If that ever happens it will be the start of the end of non league football imo, local leagues are already seeing plenty of teams folding due to lack of players, 3pm Saturday games would just lead to more clubs folding.

The Taunton and district league ( for instance) has gone from 5 divisions to 3 this season.

Non league crowds are already way down, probably because of the Saturday 12.30 and 5.15 pm kick offs, which already effects attendances.

Also, Imagine Man Utd v Liverpool 3pm Saturday live on tv, how many lads are going to cry off of playing in their local leagues.

9 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I have no problem with the TV companies showing live football at 3pm on a Saturday. It wouldn't stop me going to a live game, but we would see the true support. If it affects attendances then clubs would have to work harder, and provide more inducements, to get people through the gate. 

It's not the 92 league clubs that would necessarily be effected, but you may up up with only 92 league clubs being able to afford to run clubs. Non league clubs would be greatly effected through dwindling crowds, leading to loss of money through the gate.

People need to realise that Football in this country doesn't stop with just the Football league.

Football is turning into a tv programme, there are far too many games on as it is, next season tv companies are going to show triple the amount of Football league games live than they do now, from the current 112 to 300 plus games, crazy.

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

If that ever happens it will be the start of the end of non league football imo, local leagues are already seeing plenty of teams folding due to lack of players, 3pm Saturday games would just lead to more clubs folding.

The Taunton and district league ( for instance) has gone from 5 divisions to 3 this season.

Non league crowds are already way down, probably because of the Saturday 12.30 and 5.15 pm kick offs, which already effects attendances.

Also, Imagine Man Utd v Liverpool 3pm Saturday live on tv, how many lads are going to cry off of playing in their local leagues.

I hadn`t considered the playing side of things I must admit - I didn`t realise it was suffering as badly as you say.

41 minutes ago, JulieH said:

Yes correct sky wanted this fixture and therefore this was the change that has been eventually agreed both with ourselves and the club

at this stage there is no expectation of any bubble restrictions but will be speaking to South Wales police to see if anything changes the original policing plan. 

I am fairly confident and hopeful that bubble type games for this figure are very much a thing of the past, but each season each fixture is carefully looked at by football officers, both clubs and both sets of supporters representatives and all views taken into account , hence why this fixture has almost become a normal fixture, hopefully this will continue this season. 

Thanks for the reply, it's good to have the inside word on these decisions and it is appreciated. 

It does beg the question though, if, as you say it needed agreement and Sky don't overrule the police, why was it felt necessary to change the kick off time on the original fixture Saturday..?!

There is no doubt whatsoever that a Friday night match posses a bigger risk of disorder than a Saturday noon, or even 3pm kick off, so why was this agreeable, when a 3pm on Saturday had to be changed..? 

1 hour ago, LC_ said:

ffs another Friday game. And there was the concern that if we ever made it to the promised land we'd lose 3pm kick offs in the Prem. Old bill are going to love a couple 1000 Cardiff fans running around the city centre pissed up after the game too

Yes, seems a bit odd after all that fuss in changing the KO!

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

Next time they ask, can you tell them that we'd rather it was still on the Saturday! I can't keep taking time off work. :grr:

28 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

So police deem a 3pm kick off too big a risk but once Sky are involved it ends up being timed to allow nearly 5 hours additional drinking. 

Couldn't make it up. 

You'd imagine not everyone will be able to spend the day drinking if they're at work though. Some will drink a lot but you'd imagine they'd have done the same regardless of what the kick off time would be. 

That's the thing.

7.45pm ko...plenty of drinking time on paper. In reality, lots of people finish work at 5 if not later.

Then travel time from Cardiff, with the roads as they are...no drinking on designated coaches.

Naturally there will be those on leave who will like a drink, maybe overnight take Friday off if down from Cardiff. As a proportion though I suspect it will be really quite modest.

15 minutes ago, hodge said:

You'd imagine not everyone will be able to spend the day drinking if they're at work though. Some will drink a lot but you'd imagine they'd have done the same regardless of what the kick off time would be. 

I was thinking more post-match…

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's the thing.

7.45pm ko...plenty of drinking time on paper. In reality, lots of people finish work at 5 if not later.

Then travel time from Cardiff, with the roads as they are...no drinking on designated coaches.

Naturally there will be those on leave who will like a drink, maybe overnight take Friday off if down from Cardiff. As a proportion though I suspect it will be really quite modest.

I live in Cardiff, meet up before the game for some food and as said earlier I'll have to leave before 4 to get a decent parking space, even at that time the motorway is chaos around Cardiff/Newport so don't envy anyone having to leave later. 

2 hours ago, hodge said:

I live in Cardiff, meet up before the game for some food and as said earlier I'll have to leave before 4 to get a decent parking space, even at that time the motorway is chaos around Cardiff/Newport so don't envy anyone having to leave later. 

Sky don`t give a stuff about things like this and I expect if you asked the police what they would really like to happen it would be that the Cardiff fans decide they can`t be doing with all the hassle and stay and watch it in the pub.

It will be interesting to see how many away tickets actually get sold for this.

Archived