IGNORED

Similarities to the 70's

wendyredredrobin

15 hours ago, cynic said:

Why not wait and see what the next 6 months bring instead of the next few games ?

Many seem to be excited about our current situation; in the league its 6points from 5games, choosing to ignore the fact that SO FAR its a worse start than last season which was 9points from 5games. (and that was a terrible season)

I can understand the hope that comes from the current talk coming from the management and yes things may improve, but on the field they have yet to show that they will improve, in our points tally, at least.......to date.

6months you say, yes whatever, points mean prizes...talk gets nothing and yes we will indeed see......in time.

19 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Has anyone noticed any similarities to the period up to our promotion to the top tier.

Ground improvements - the Dolman stand had just been built.

Young inexperienced manager given time to develop, Struggling in the second tier before becoming established, then getting promoted.

A chairman willing and able to invest heavily in the club.

A superb youth setup - The likes of Merrick, Collier, Whitehead, Tainton, Garland, Gow, Richie were all examples of homegrown talent progressing from the youth setup to the reserves and then into the first team.

The gas were crap.

Could it be that history is beginning to repeat itself?

You missed out the "Flying Pig" as he was jokingly called by some irreverent fans.

And yes, we could be inching our way to the promised land.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Someone stated on another thread that the last 20 games in the league we have won 9 drawn 6 lost 5 (I think thats what was stated).

That gives us 33 points or 1.65 points per game, which equates to 75 points over 46 games.

Yeah, stats - but that aint bad (provided those stats are correct, I've not checked).

Maybe true but we had Tammy for most of them, I was also looking back as well......to LJ`s comments about this time last year (I think it was after Brum game) he said we must learn and fast we know what happened shortly after that.

As the saying goes we can "talk the talk but can we walk the walk"

I think we now have a less exp side this season, compared to this time last season; so indeed we are going to have to learn and fast this season as the newbies will need time to adjust. Young lads coming in may or may not come good and some may play in the first team, but the time is now this league is upon us, as we will find out this coming month. 

20 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Struggling in the second tier before becoming established,

I like the comparison, wendy, but I just don't get people's understanding of the word 'established'. For me, it doesn't mean a few months of not being in the relegation zone. Not even Preston are established in this division and they keep finishing above us. For me personally, established means 4, 5, 6 years safely above the dogfight in the bottom 6 or so. Nothing less.I look forward to that between now and 2022.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I saw him live at the Bierkeller (?). It was an experience to say the least!

He was a very talented song writer too, he wrote  "The Living Years"  What he is doing now,  I don't know,  probably retired as he is 67,  I believe.

13 hours ago, cynic said:

Your point about Tammy is superfluous as we are obviously still going to score goals - as indicated by having scored 8 in the league already and 8 in the cup. By my reckoning, thats 16 already this season. Tammy who ? :shifty:

Great win today as well :clapping:

It was a win, albeit slightly fortunate; still behind on last seasons total points to date however and another 8 to find this month to match last seasons tally.

The "old boys" keeping us in it atm with the 5m man yet to show.

Much left to do yet :glare:

Archived