IGNORED

Ashton Gate - old picture

Offside

On the `Twenty years of OTIB` thread we were suggesting threads to be put into the classics. A while back we had a fabulous and really interesting one where all sorts of people had uploaded photos, maps and general bits of history of AG and BS3 generally.

If I could remember what it was called, that`s one I would suggest - it was fascinating, anyone recall what it was called?

54 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

On the `Twenty years of OTIB` thread we were suggesting threads to be put into the classics. A while back we had a fabulous and really interesting one where all sorts of people had uploaded photos, maps and general bits of history of AG and BS3 generally.

If I could remember what it was called, that`s one I would suggest - it was fascinating, anyone recall what it was called?

This one RRH ?

Does anyone have a firm date and description? It looks like a postcard from the Vaughan Collection to me. Having done some research for the Know Your Place website, I suspect it may be part of a sports celebration day in May, 1926. Earlier than that Ashton Gate was the venue for some of the Empire Day celebrations of 1912, but I think that's too far back for the photo.

If you click http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=&maptype=js and select the Vaughan Postcards box from the Information Layers/List then you will find lots more old images, particularly on the Gate.

14 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Does anyone have a firm date and description? It looks like a postcard from the Vaughan Collection to me. Having done some research for the Know Your Place website, I suspect it may be part of a sports celebration day in May, 1926. Earlier than that Ashton Gate was the venue for some of the Empire Day celebrations of 1912, but I think that's too far back for the photo.

If you click http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=&maptype=js and select the Vaughan Postcards box from the Information Layers/List then you will find lots more old images, particularly on the Gate.

Looks to be 1920s, possibly 1910s, judging by the fashions. Late 1910s, and most people were in khaki!

Archived