IGNORED

Are we now serious play off contenders?

Top Robin

18 hours ago, The Bard said:

now we are in 5th place.  We've got 20 points from 11 games, winning games in different ways.  Coming from behind against Derby, dominating from the off against Barnsley, stumbling past Bolton despite not being at our best, nicking a late winner in a poor game at Reading.  Successful sides win in lots of different ways. 

I never understand why people don't want to talk about being in contention.  It's nonsensical and is counter productive.  Better to put the pressure on yourself to do well than pretend there isn't any pressure.  If we are still in touch with the play offs in March, it is better to have had the mindset of being a team in contention than to suddenly put it on yourselves. 

I see no reason why we can't get better and remain in contention.  Certain teams have players who aren't used to the 46 game slog with no winter break.   I think we are and there is enough depth to cover absences. 

What will interest me is if we are in the top 5 in January and maybe in touch with the top 2. Will we see some money spent on a player who can improve us?  Bit of a name with a bit of nous in midfield maybe? 

Watching the game on t'internet I thought Smith was excellent but we missed Pack.  Brownhill adds something different - energy and more of a goal threat but when we were bossing the game we remained a bit helter skelter.  Pack would have been better at keeping the ball.  Game management... 

It's a tough one isn't it? The squad appears to be close, dare I say it similar to the togetherness we had under SC would that be unsettled?

I would suspect we would, SL knows if he had pushed the boat out last time for a striker we would have made the premier league, instead we lost to Hull. If we're challenging for the play offs we may go out and inscrease the squad, if we're third / fourth or above I think the club would gamble a little 

the season usually goes 1st ten games then christmas then easter then we can start dreaming/ thinking but the way the team is playing and with the squad as stoke proved who knows full of hope usually dashed within the 1st 15 mins of the season remember millwall and ipswich home games 3 against us

The wins against Derby and Ipswich show we have the undoubted ability to finish in the top 6.

Perhaps even more shocking, there is no reason we can't aim for the top 2.  The fact that there isn't an alpha predator or top club going to run away with the league is very positive.

If this is the leading pack - Cardiff, Leeds, Wolves, and let's say Villa - then we can compete with that group of teams.

Damn, I wish I had the money for a season ticket this year!

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

The wins against Derby and Ipswich show we have the undoubted ability to finish in the top 6.

Perhaps even more shocking, there is no reason we can't aim for the top 2.  The fact that there isn't an alpha predator or top club going to run away with the league is very positive.

If this is the leading pack - Cardiff, Leeds, Wolves, and let's say Villa - then we can compete with that group of teams.

Damn, I wish I had the money for a season ticket this year!

To this I would add .... YET !

Cardiff and Leeds started well and yes we could maybe compete with them , Leeds look vulnerable at the back but Cardiff have the King of the dark arts and could sustain a challenge.
Wolves have spent big and you could even think they haven't settled yet which could be worrying. They will outspend everyone in Jan should need be.
Villa I think will be up there, depends on backing and if rumours are true , if they can hold on to their strikers (sell on clause anyone??)
You have to think M'boro will come good at some point and have a run at it.
I also think Norwich , Fulham and Sheff Wed will have their part to play in the promotion chase.
Even Preston have been very solid over the last few years and could stake a claim for top 6 , where as Derby and Reading haven't even started yet but I feel sure they will come good at some point.
Point being it is very early (still) .We have had a good start ,we did last year, and though I don't see an implosion along the lines of last year there are still many twists and turns ahead. 
I'm going to enjoy the ride a little more than last year by the look of things, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. 
Promising though init .

Local Ipswich town reporter Stuart Taylor seems to think we're the real deal..

Credit to Bristol City

Take nothing away from the rockin’ Robins though. Lee Johnson’s men are now unbeaten in 11 games across all competitions and up to fifth in the table. You can see why.

Two banks of four were very organised and disciplined. They didn’t give Town any gifts or gaps, were physically strong in all departments and very professionally squeezed the life out of the match during the scrappy second period. A few time wasting antics were frustrating, but understandable. This was an excellent away day display.

Towering centre-backs Aden Flint and Nathan Baker are a formidable pair, lively winger Jamie Paterson now tops the Championship’s assist charts with five, while the front two of Diedhiou (6) and Reid (8) have 14 goals between them.

In what looks to be a very open division this season, they might just stick around at the top end.

Bristol City don’t have parachute payments and get similar gate receipts to Town, but owner Steve Lansdown has reinvested the big transfer fees received for Jonathan Kodjia, Yannick Bolasie (sell-on clause) and Lee Tomlin.

Diedhiou was a club-record £5.3m signing from French club Angers, while experienced Villa defender Baker cost in excess of £2m.

Nice words from the opposition journo.

On 02/10/2017 at 17:52, 1960maaan said:

Even Preston have been very solid over the last few years and could stake a claim for top 6 , where as Derby and Reading haven't even started yet but I feel sure they will come good at some point.

I think our first XI would be capable of a top 6 finish. However, not sure at this stage that we have the squad depth to do it.

Momentum!

just like our last play off encounter, if we can keep picking up points against those around us then anything is possible. I’m not ruling anything out at this stage but can’t deny that our form is excellent as is our style of play.

said on other posts, I had a gut feeling about this season and got a ST for the first time ever and at the moment things look promising

Archived