IGNORED

Are we now serious play off contenders?

Top Robin

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A quarter of the season has gone and we are where we are. 5th in the league and 4 points from the top.  Do we deserve to be there? Absolutely.

We are playing with pace, skill and strengh. Chasing, closing down, blocking and working as a unit.  There also seems to be a togetherness about the team and right through the club at the moment.

We have someone who can fill every position when needed without weakening the team.  Add to this a 3 match unbeaten cup run with 2 premier scalps already and only have to beat a Palace side who have amassed zero points from their first 7 games to reach the quarter finals.

This is feeling like a promotion season and still with a chance of winning the league cup to secure a place in Europe for the first time in the clubs history.

Bring it on. COYR

now that's what you call an upbeat assessment!!

22 minutes ago, dave36 said:

I'm saving for the next season ticket- will at least double in price!

I'm already imagining the announcement next June when SL declares FREE season tickets for our first year in the Premier League to all those supporters who've had an ST for 5 years or more, just to repay their dedication and loyalty. Other newly promoted teams have certainly done this.

With regards to whether we are serious contenders, I'm nearly 50 and I genuinely cant remember a time when we had a squad full of players ANY of which would appear on the team sheet on a match day and you could say 'Yep, got the first team out AGAIN today'.

I know its still early in the season and the international break was our downfall last year BUT there's definitely something a bit different about things this season.

COYR

8 hours ago, RumRed said:

I’d imagine Brum wished they’d met our valuation after today.

ha ha ha, ha ha, ha.  Chortle.

Id imagine Flint is glad they didnt!

From the last couple of seasons I think we should enjoy things whilst we can. Football is a harsh mistress, so yeah why not. Just don't get upset if we start to fall down the table. Solid comfortable Mid table would still be a improvement and solidifying are status as a championship side.

I think once the year rolls over to 2018 and we’re still floating around the top 6... then is the time to say we could be serious contenders. We’re off to a great start but that’s all it is, a start. There’s a long way to go yet and some tough fixtures on the horizon. I’m confident last season won’t repeat itself, a top 10 is more than achievable this season. Anything higher than 10th is a bonus for me. Proud of the boys and management. Let’s make it a season to remember rather than one to forget!

UTFC! 

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I just hope we can keep hold of Flint....he is vital to our chances in my opinion...

He is a special player but not irreplaceable.

I don't think any player will want to leave the City at the moment however as it looks great fun being part of this club .

There is something special happening here . 

4 hours ago, Fiale said:

From the last couple of seasons I think we should enjoy things whilst we can. Football is a harsh mistress, so yeah why not. Just don't get upset if we start to fall down the table. Solid comfortable Mid table would still be a improvement and solidifying are status as a championship side.

Never settle for mediocrity. We are better than that now.  3 transfer windows and Europe within 5 years. The plan is coming together :)

And this season we are not relying on a Chelski loanee either.

No - simply because although we do have depth to our squad, I think that if we were to lose one or two of our top guys to loss of form or injury, we would go from a very good team to a good team.

Keep Bobby and Pato, amongst others, fit and on form all year, maybe I'll change my mind!

Think there is an opportunity for some 'Huddersfield' type moves this season

Few , if any outstanding teams

Personally I think Villa and Wolves will fight it out for top spot and the four PO places will be up for grabs for any side that can maintain some consistency

There are probably 12/15 Clubs that could argue a case for a PO place come May but atm we genuinely look to be in the top half / third of those teams ( along atm with Preston and Sheff United )

So hard to predict results in this division but if you were an outsider you'd be seeing us as a real threat

Not a time to get carried away , but a time to enjoy the journey

Would say it's our best opportunity since our last PO dabble (Can't believe I'm saying it :laughcont: but feels lush)

Really fascinating times atm , especially the way we are trying to do it - we certainly have momentum which is massive

:shifty:

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Who are our top guys though? They're all a consistent 7 or 8 out of 10 every game at the moment. I don't think we have any irreplaceable players in our side, as the back seem to be of a similar standard imo. Bobby and Pato have been brilliant, but look at Taylor being MOTM against Stoke and being brilliant at the end of last season, and look at how good Leko and Eliasson look. Not saying they're as good as Bobby and Pato, but not much in it. Where we lose certain strengths when we lose a couple of players, we gain other strengths with others.

Totally know where you're coming from on this and I hope you're right.

I just have the feeling though, although we have a very good squad and undoubtably we have depth, the little extra class that makes a team 'click' for enough of the season to finish in the play offs, that we do have in the team at the moment, could be lost if two or three of our top performers are out. 

We'd still be a good challenge for anyone, but would Taylor, Đurić and some of the other current 'second string' have enough about them to consistently challenge the top 6? 

I hope so, but am cautious.

31 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Far too early for this kind of thread.

Hold it until December, if we're not doing well then forget it, if we are top 4 then perhaps. If we are 5-10th then push the thought back and see where we are in March.

now we are in 5th place.  We've got 20 points from 11 games, winning games in different ways.  Coming from behind against Derby, dominating from the off against Barnsley, stumbling past Bolton despite not being at our best, nicking a late winner in a poor game at Reading.  Successful sides win in lots of different ways. 

I never understand why people don't want to talk about being in contention.  It's nonsensical and is counter productive.  Better to put the pressure on yourself to do well than pretend there isn't any pressure.  If we are still in touch with the play offs in March, it is better to have had the mindset of being a team in contention than to suddenly put it on yourselves. 

I see no reason why we can't get better and remain in contention.  Certain teams have players who aren't used to the 46 game slog with no winter break.   I think we are and there is enough depth to cover absences. 

What will interest me is if we are in the top 5 in January and maybe in touch with the top 2. Will we see some money spent on a player who can improve us?  Bit of a name with a bit of nous in midfield maybe? 

Watching the game on t'internet I thought Smith was excellent but we missed Pack.  Brownhill adds something different - energy and more of a goal threat but when we were bossing the game we remained a bit helter skelter.  Pack would have been better at keeping the ball.  Game management... 

14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

now we are in 5th place.  We've got 20 points from 11 games, winning games in different ways.  Coming from behind against Derby, dominating from the off against Barnsley, stumbling past Bolton despite not being at our best, nicking a late winner in a poor game at Reading.  Successful sides win in lots of different ways. 

I never understand why people don't want to talk about being in contention.  It's nonsensical and is counter productive.  Better to put the pressure on yourself to do well than pretend there isn't any pressure.  If we are still in touch with the play offs in March, it is better to have had the mindset of being a team in contention than to suddenly put it on yourselves. 

I see no reason why we can't get better and remain in contention.  Certain teams have players who aren't used to the 46 game slog with no winter break.   I think we are and there is enough depth to cover absences. 

What will interest me is if we are in the top 5 in January and maybe in touch with the top 2. Will we see some money spent on a player who can improve us?  Bit of a name with a bit of nous in midfield maybe? 

Watching the game on t'internet I thought Smith was excellent but we missed Pack.  Brownhill adds something different - energy and more of a goal threat but when we were bossing the game we remained a bit helter skelter.  Pack would have been better at keeping the ball.  Game management... 

Was pondering exactly the same last night about January and the likelihood that SL would fully back Lee if he wanted to add some additional quality , but then went through the squad trying to work out if I was Lee what would I consider

It says a lot that I couldn't identify a 'glaring' area where I'd spend - of course you could always spend silly money and upgrade some in all positions but on a realistic footing at our level I struggled to decide where I'd tinker , if at all without disrupting what we've got

I can foresee Flint , sadly , going in Jan but not sure we'd rush to replace him with HM and JH about (Possibly if HM was to go as well)

Personally I'd sell Gustav if a reasonable offer came in and we could get anywhere near what we outplayed, or with a heavy sell on clause but even that wouldn't leave us needing more numbers up front - The full backs and cover are fine , lots of options wide and thus , like you I came to the conclusion that central midfield may be the only area , and trying to think of something we are maybe missing , which even then isn't easy to pinpoint (A 'beast' of a midfield enforcer ?   Or a box to box midfielder (But would that mean JBs progress being prevented ?)

Nice 'problem' to have. !!!!!

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Never settle for mediocrity. We are better than that now.  3 transfer windows and Europe within 5 years. The plan is coming together :)

And this season we are not relying on a Chelski loanee either.

Mediocrity is pointless. May as well go and play Bowls. If Hudds and Bmuff can do it then so should we! Let's have some ambition people and aim for top two!!!

34 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was pondering exactly the same last night about January and the likelihood that SL would fully back Lee if he wanted to add some additional quality , but then went through the squad trying to work out if I was Lee what would I consider

It says a lot that I couldn't identify a 'glaring' area where I'd spend - of course you could always spend silly money and upgrade some in all positions but on a realistic footing at our level I struggled to decide where I'd tinker , if at all without disrupting what we've got

I can foresee Flint , sadly , going in Jan but not sure we'd rush to replace him with HM and JH about (Possibly if HM was to go as well)

Personally I'd sell Gustav if a reasonable offer came in and we could get anywhere near what we outplayed, or with a heavy sell on clause but even that wouldn't leave us needing more numbers up front - The full backs and cover are fine , lots of options wide and thus , like you I came to the conclusion that central midfield may be the only area , and trying to think of something we are maybe missing , which even then isn't easy to pinpoint (A 'beast' of a midfield enforcer ?   Or a box to box midfielder (But would that mean JBs progress being prevented ?)

Nice 'problem' to have. !!!!!

Flint will be an interesting one....if we are around the top-six, then it may take a Prem club to ‘turn his head’.  Gave to wait and see.

My biggest worry would be Bryan.  No matter how promising Kelly is, or that Magnússon (who I rate) is an Icelandic international LB, I do think Joe is vital to our style.  Opposition will be aware of his ability defensively, but also what he can do going forward.

Unless we think Gus is going to develop, then I accept it might be time to cash in.  With my changing view of Taylor (darn you Matty for showing you are better than I thought!), Woodrow, Djurić (when fit) and Leko (when needed), to compete with Reid and Diedhiou we are well covered.  Hinds is not forgotten either.

A classy midfielder with work ethic and creativity is the gap.  Not likely to be many in this country in our price range or wanting to come here....time for our recruitment guys to get on that database.

Put it this way. Whilst remaining grounded I've never been so optimistic and confident in a City side before.

I believe we have a squad that could potentially get promotion but not quite sure if we are serious promotion material just yet. 

To get promotion a club needs a lot of luck along the way, injuries, referring decisions and most importantly consistency. If we play like this in every game then we're going to be promoted. I'm just not 100% convinced at the moment that we can keep this up for a whole season. 

This season is reminding me of our League One winning season, the same sort of feeling around the club and blowing teams away as we chalked off each game. 

I think it was around October/November last time that I thought right thus is now a promotion battle. Another month of good results and I'd start to feel the same.

Could the Cardiff game be like the Swindon game? 

Play off contenders - yes. Play off definites - too soon to say.

6 hours ago, glos old boy said:

NO-ONE knows yet, we were here this time last year remember, same place, same time, same position and full of hope.

Leaving Portman Road yesterday it struck me that no one started a chant of "We are going up"!

It's still early days. We've started very well and the signs for this season are promising, but there will be plenty of twists and turns in what is a very tough league. For now I'm just enjoying games without the sense of dread that characterised so much of last season. 

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

Play off contenders - yes. Play off definites - too soon to say.

Leaving Portman Road yesterday it struck me that no one started a chant of "We are going up"!

Yeah, but EIEIEIO rang around the stands didnt it?

I’d be pleasantly surprised if we make the play offs. I was just having a look at the 2007-08 season and coincidentally we also started then with 5 wins, 5 draws and 1 defeat so perhaps it is possible!

That season we had a bad November - 0 wins, 2 draws, 3 defeats - including a 6-0 defeat at Ipswich. We turned it around again in December. We will need similar resilience this season - from players and fans - if we are to stand a chance as we will have a bad spell at some point. 

Archived