IGNORED

Johnson and this group of players...

Andy082005

So having gone to Wolves midweek, and watching the team yesterday...I can honestly say for the first time it looks like we have a group of players who are all playing for the manager, and all pulling in the right direction. So much so....it makes some of last season stand out even more, and really could be answering questions I'm sure we all asked at the time

Its pretty clear to see now Tomlin was a massive disruption in the camp, however Pemberton getting sacked at the time was strange, as was the sales of Ayling originally and then Freeman last year...two players who are arguably good enough for this level. Even the whole Aden Flint saga was odd. 

It really makes me question if the Cotterill sacking left a bitter taste in the mouths of those loyal to him. Cotterill was very much liked by certain players down there. I'm not saying players were deliberately playing badly...but if players or staff don't buy into a managers way of doing things, or doesn't have respect for a manager....it can certainly cause problems both on and off the field

Wolves and Brentford away were very similar in respect that those players gave absolutely everything right to the very end. We would have lost both those games 12 months ago. It showed some real balls to get points from those games

Maybe I'm overthinking things, and I'm certainly not getting ahead of myself...it's just good to be watching players who really seem to give a toss again. Players who seem to be enjoying themselves. Reminds me of the year we won the league under Cotterill ....a group of mates all playing together 

I won't finish on a negative (im well aware I'm classed as a negative poster on here :whistle:)...and although it will take a lot more to convince me Johnson is the right man for us, the last few games has certainly been a lot more positive. 

I've always maintained progression is success. Im not one of these who think we should automatically be top 6...success for me this season would be a comfortable mid table -9th spot finish .

Anyway....Johnson out ;)

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know he's a popular figure on here - but what if Pemberton was part of the problem? It's pretty universally accepted on here that Tomlin was.. maybe JP was too.

Said on a thread that KITR started earlier in the week, that the need for all the backroom staff to have the same mindset is probably more important than their individual coaching qualities. 
Going back to @Andy082005's originally post, the one thing I never ever thought throughout last season was that the majority of players were not playing for the manager. I have seen too many teams over the last few years that were clearly not playing for their leader to miss the tell tale signs. Particularly the last 10 games it was clear that there was a direction and that the players were buying into that. 

As good as that performance was yesterday, I hope that is the start of something, not the culmination of it,  and I think LJ will be making sure that they don't think they have "arrived", they need to keep doing what they did so well yesterday for the next 38 games.

Have to say, as a Johnson critic, the players do appear to be playing for him and each other. There seems to be a spirit not seen since maybe his dad was there (notwithstanding Cott's squad). Maybe one of the lessons Johnson talked about in the summer having learnt from 16/17 was to now keep things simple, and the players are now more able to follow what he wants, they see it is producing good form and results and that produces confidence and it becomes a virtuous cycle. I was more than prepared to give Johnson a clean start again this year and he's behind three results this last week I wouldn't have thought possible. There - when someone comes on and says where are all the Johnson haters now, you can point to me (except I didn't hate him, that's just stupid to hate someone).

Archived