IGNORED

Tinnion's Management Skills

The Grateful Red

Brian Tinnion has been with us for about 6 weeks now and it has been pretty evident that he is keeping an 'open door' policy with the fans in terms of his communication on managerial issues. We have been privy to a lot of inside info from AG since he took over, to the extent that we heard over the weekend on the official site that BT was going to make enquiries regarding Steve Howard's availability before he had even picked up the phone or pinged an email over to Luton to broach the subject. Isn't this a little precipitated? What can we look forward to next? Are we going to hear what Brian fancies for tea tonight before he speaks to his missus? We 'ope it's chips, etc.

Whilst it provides a refreshing change from the tight-lipped/cliché-ridden approach we had grown accustomed to from Danny Wilson over the last few years, is this level of openness really advisable? In my view it makes for interesting reading, but after a while won't it make Brian look a little inept if he is so loose with the information he shares with the fans? Especially when things like the Maclean debacle become apparent on a more regular basis.

At the end of the day I appreciate the fact that Tins is trying to make the fans feel involved, I just hope his openness does not come back to haunt him in terms of his professionalism and/or lack thereof.

Its a skilled balancing act.

Wilson was too closed and very bland and predictable whenever interviewed, never giving anything away.He was critised for that and rightly so.He was not close to the fans.

John Ward was the master of the fans/management relationship but even Ward was rarely outspoken.He always minded his words carefully.Pulis on the other hand was too contraversial,critising players and disliked by the fans.He didn't last long.

BT will have to develop his own style with the fans and media.Being manager will be a different experience and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with the press after a bad performance and/or a defeat.Lets hope he's as open and honest as he has been so far.That would certainly impress most fans.

Its a skilled balancing act.

Wilson was too closed and very bland and predictable whenever interviewed, never giving anything away.He was critised for that and rightly so.He was not close to the fans.

John Ward was the master of the fans/management relationship but even Ward was rarely outspoken.He always minded his words carefully.Pulis on the other hand was too contraversial,critising players and disliked by the fans.He didn't last long.

BT will have to develop his own style with the fans and media.Being manager will be a different experience and it'll be interesting to see how he deals with the press after a bad performance and/or a defeat.Lets hope he's as open and honest as he has been so far.That would certainly impress most fans.

Interesting perspectives from Cynic and Robbored. I get the impression though that this is not some cunning plan of Brian's to send out messages to perspective and current players, although that may play into it a bit and be a symptom of this new approach; rather he is just trying to put his stamp on the helm and let people know he is in charge.

When the season kicks off and we actually start playing (and inevitably losing at least some) games, it's going to be interesting to see how Brian's PR skills work under those circumstances... especially if he is still playing!

I have to admit though that I am impressed by what I have heard so far. It's refreshing to hear a bit of ambition and straight talking for once now that DW has fvcked off back oop north.

Guest city4ever!!

I think Tins is doing a great job getting us fans involved by providing us with information about transfer targets.It saves all those rumour spreaders e.g bristolcityup to make up silly rumours.

Archived