IGNORED

Safe Standing (yet again)

22A

Page 51 of today's "Metro". Shrewsbury are closing on on their funding target to establish safe standing at New Meadow. :clapping:

The original plan was to raise £75,000, but the price is now £62,500. The appeal is now just £12,500 short of the target as Bristol City Supporters donated £150. :clapping:

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What will an area of "safe standing" at Shrewsbury show or demonstrate, that a case study of Celtic Park or numerous stadia in Germany, can't already tell them..? 

Not much, probably, but it's more evidence and that's only going to help the safe standing cause. 

Good work by the SC&T and otib, by the way.

7 minutes ago, Flaxbourton Red said:

Not much, probably, but it's more evidence and that's only going to help the safe standing cause. 

Good work by the SC&T and otib, by the way.

Good work indeed. 

I cant can't see where this trial is going, or what the point is..?

Do they need assurance that the structure can hold supporters..? Look at the places it's in use elsewhere. 

Do they view a few hundred at Shrewsbury as a suitable sample to then allow safe standing for 10,000 on the Holte End, for example..?

Surely its undergone all of its testing. It's either determined as safe or not. So surely, it either gets permitted, or it doesn't. What's the point in having it installed at one, relatively small time club..? 

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Good work indeed. 

I cant can't see where this trial is going, or what the point is..?

Do they need assurance that the structure can hold supporters..? Look at the places it's in use elsewhere. 

Do they view a few hundred at Shrewsbury as a suitable sample to then allow safe standing for 10,000 on the Holte End, for example..?

Surely its undergone all of its testing. It's either determined as safe or not. So surely, it either gets permitted, or it doesn't. What's the point in having it installed at one, relatively small time club..? 

Probably to help gain more understanding on how English fans react to safe standing areas. The need for detailed risk assessments based on evidence will always outweigh nostalgic desire for terracing.

17 minutes ago, Flaxbourton Red said:

Probably to help gain more understanding on how English fans react to safe standing areas. The need for detailed risk assessments based on evidence will always outweigh nostalgic desire for terracing.

"How English fans react to safe standing"..?

This is what I mean. What will be gauged from Shrewsbury that can't be established by looking at Celtic or Germany. 

Last time I looked, English fans weren't entirely different to those 2 cases. 

I could understand it if every club had a trial area and it was given the ok on a club by club basis, based on their individual supporters. I just don't see what they are possibly going to get from looking at a trial in Shrewsbury..!

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

"How English fans react to safe standing"..?

This is what I mean. What will be gauged from Shrewsbury that can't be established by looking at Celtic or Germany. 

Last time I looked, English fans weren't entirely different to those 2 cases. 

I could understand it if every club had a trial area and it was given the ok on a club by club basis, based on their individual supporters. I just don't see what they are possibly going to get from looking at a trial in Shrewsbury..!

The stock answer against introducing safe standing is that it has not been tested in England. This is the test... Start somewhere small, observe how it works, find out and solve, any problems, then replicate the test with a bigger sample. It's just basic evidence building.

• SC&T Board Members
2 hours ago, Flaxbourton Red said:

The stock answer against introducing safe standing is that it has not been tested in England. This is the test... Start somewhere small, observe how it works, find out and solve, any problems, then replicate the test with a bigger sample. It's just basic evidence building.

That's exactly it. By showing it works IN ENGLAND under English rules and regulations (which are different to those in Scoltand and in Europe), it removes the ability for opponents to say 'England is different, it wouldn't work here'.

This installation will be done with the full approval of the local SAG, the national Sports Ground Safety Authority and the EFL.

So MPs and civil servants at DCMS will find it very hard to say in future that rail seating is not an appropriate form of spectator accommodation for stadia in England and Wales.

Impressive as the Celtic installation is, it's still not in England and it therefore leaves opponents wriggle room. This installation at an otherwise all-seater stadium in England won't!

You can help to make it happen here.

PS: If permitted, it will also trial a small increase in capacity, which has not been trialled at Celtic.

Archived