IGNORED

BRISTOL?

Tomo

6 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

But why should he? His team's just been made to look stupid and you think he should be asking the locals how they like to be referred to? Why be offended by an opposition manager referring to your team by a name you should be proud of, the name of your city.

I'm really not offended at all. It just annoys me a tad as it's quote a simple thing. Again as stated earlier by someone you never hear Manchester clubs referred to as Manchester...

6 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Do we insist/support this happening to any other club? I have only seen us complain about how we are refered to.

Is this just an over opinionated version of a full kit w****r?

If a pundit went on about Manchester on tv they'd be up in arms about it!

5 minutes ago, Judda said:

I'm really not offended at all. It just annoys me a tad as it's quote a simple thing. Again as stated earlier by someone you never hear Manchester clubs referred to as Manchester...

But they're massive international brands and the way they're referred to has developed over decades. If we'd played Sheffield United it wouldn't have sounded ridiculous or surprised me for Hughes to refer to them as just 'Sheffield'. 

So is the problem that pundits and managers dont full name us or they dont full name every team?

If people care about this as much as I see it turn up on here maybe they should be contacting there MP and starting a campaign to have this discussed in parliament and a law made.

God forbid we have to deal with a real problem that actually has an affect on anyone.

9 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

But they're massive international brands and the way they're referred to has developed over decades. If we'd played Sheffield United it wouldn't have sounded ridiculous or surprised me for Hughes to refer to them as just 'Sheffield'. 

I'd call them United and Wednesday...

7 minutes ago, Pezo said:

So is the problem that pundits and managers dont full name us or they dont full name every team?

If people care about this as much as I see it turn up on here maybe they should be contacting there MP and starting a campaign to have this discussed in parliament and a law made.

God forbid we have to deal with a real problem that actually has an affect on anyone.

Sorry Pedo. It just annoys me getting a name wrong!:P

When a friend of my wife asked me last week which team i supported i said "Bristol"- she said " Rovers?" I live in London and this has happened a few times with neutrals/idiots. The woman in question is 25 and grew up in Essex. How would she even know the gash exist? 

I now blank her every time she comes round.

1 hour ago, Dreamkiller said:

But why should he? His team's just been made to look stupid and you think he should be asking the locals how they like to be referred to? Why be offended by an opposition manager referring to your team by a name you should be proud of, the name of your city.

So he just lost 2 - 0 to Manchester United and Hughes calls them Manchester?

Never, it just wouldn't happen, so why call us Bristol?

1 hour ago, Judda said:

You are right but it's not exactly hard to say Bristol City is it?

Agreed Judda, just as it's easy to say Manchester United (perhaps Man U) or Manchester City

We are the only team in Bristol, but the gas also get called Bristol, so it's not right

47 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

When a friend of my wife asked me last week which team i supported i said "Bristol"- she said " Rovers?" I live in London and this has happened a few times with neutrals/idiots. The woman in question is 25 and grew up in Essex. How would she even know the gash exist? 

I now blank her every time she comes round.

Why would any City supporter ever say Bristol?

Am I missing something here?

Been supporting City for 50 years now and have never once said that I support Bristol

City yes, which could be misconstrued, but not in the right context.

Bristol no - whatever the context

2 hours ago, tomo said:

We......ie Me!

ANYONE fed up with pundits, managers, players, opposition fans alike calling us Bristol!

Mark Hughes after Tuesday was guilty!

WE ARE BRISTOL CITY!

Can we stop this nonsense! 

You never hear Manchester U or City being called Manchester. You never hear Sheffield Weds or United being called Sheffield. You never hear Nottingham Forest or County being called Nottingham....bla bla.

Derby are Derby of course! :laugh:

Time for our marketing dept to advise the world that we are Bristol City and anyone that refers to Bristol should be referring to the egg chasers, the Rugby World!

I've posted this before on another thread, but............

Its 100% fact that in the 70's and 80's the first chant at every train station in every away City we played at, was Br..is..tol. 

I honestly don't get why people get hung up about it, we were always proud of the chant.

I'm pretty certain it was Gary O'Neil doing co-commentary for Radio Bristol a few weeks ago and kept referring to us as 'Bristol'. I thought that was pretty ignorant.

Bristol are a rugby team. We've been 'City' for as long as I've been going to Ashton Gate.

24 minutes ago, zippycar said:

Been supporting City for 50 years now and have never once said that I support Bristol

I would never say that in Bristol but in London its different. 

25 minutes ago, zippycar said:

So he just lost 2 - 0 to Manchester United and Hughes calls them Manchester?

Never, it just wouldn't happen, so why call us Bristol?

No, he'd call them United for the reason I explained before. He called you Bristol because most people in his position would. What's so bad about calling you by the name of your city? He called you Bristol for the same reason I called you Bristol last night. Because it's easier to type or to say Bristol than it is to type or say Bristol City, and because it probably never crossed his mind like it didn't cross my mind that it might cause annoyance/offence/aggravation or any other word that you choose to describe the apparent apoplexy of not being referred to in the same terms as another team in a galaxy far far away.

I always say Bristol City.  Nothing makes me more proud when those words come out of my mouth.

Players any anyone associated with the club should say the name in full.  Annoyed me when G'ON called us Bristol.  I wouldn't want anyone to have any ambiguity and mistake us for Moron FC.

As for the rest of the footballing world, I couldn't give a toss. 

4 hours ago, zippycar said:

If someone ask which club you support sure say Bristol City - but if we are at home and it's not a Bristol derby :rofl2br: then it really does not matter, the fact you would accept City when - well how many teams could that refer to just shows a pettiness to the whole thing.

I guess we're in a pretty unique situation in that there aren't many clubs who share their identity with another, certainly not as low key as us.  

I do find it a tad annoying and the people that do it a tad ignorant.  As do some Sags.  

I guess it's an identity thing.

I knew some twins who said it triggered all manner of rage in them when they were referred to as "the twins" - not as individuals.  This is because it in some way diminished their individual identity.  I would not especially expect an only child to empathise with them, how could they?

So I understand why the country at large does not appreciate the issue.

If there was a Stoke Vale FC and Stoke City had fought like cats and dogs with them for decades - our visiting Stokie, or at least some of their peers, would inevitably have the same issue.

I wonder if it pisses any Sheffield Wednesday/United supporters off?  (I do hear boyh clubs referred to merely as 'Sheffield').  That's the only other city in the same situation.

9 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Would need a special sort of stupid to be watching the commentary, or post-match summary, of Bristol City v Stoke City, hear someone say "Bristol" and think they are referring to the horse punchers.

You've clearly never flicked on the telly or radio to find a match in progress and waited for the commentary to tell you who is playing and what the score is.

14 hours ago, Dreamkiller said:

I doubt Hughes was being disrespectful. I mean it's fairly obvious he wasn't talking about Rovers. Think I referred to you as Bristol last night. Just seemed a bit daft to refer to your full title. I presumed everyone knew who I meant. No offence intended.

Our lot get a bit uppity when we play Man City and all the commentators and journalists refer to them as City without seemingly noticing that little ol' Stoke are City too. We all need something to get wound up about I suppose.

13 hours ago, Tammys Scan said:

Don't we call Stoke City, Stoke?

edit: Ninja'ed by Dreamkiller

I listened to the local radio covereage the other night and it took me a few minutes to get used to the commentators saying City and not meaning us, but of course it makes sense. \there are many City's but only one Bristol as far as anyone outside of Bristol is concerned.

It annoys me.

The reason it annoys me is that although we jest and say things like "only one team in Bristol" etc the truth is that those who refer to us as Bristol probably also refer to that mob over the river as Bristol.

Hughes for example would probably have called the sags Bristol if he had just played them. Sky sports news would probably have done so in their match report (keep in mind that SSN has mixed the two teams up on screen displays at least twice this season).

Archived