IGNORED

Old City pics.

Ska Junkie

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Seems to be close, but no cigar.

Certainly his last kick in the final but not his last game for Ipswich:

In 1978, he was part of the Ipswich team that won the FA Cup against Arsenal, scoring the winning goal in the 77th minute, in a 1-0 victory. His celebration upon scoring the winning goal caused him to faint and be substituted with only ten minutes of the match remaining.[2] In 1979, he was loaned to NASL side Detroit Express, for whom he played 22 matches. Osborne played his final game for Ipswich on 15 November 1980 in a league match against Leicester City.[3]

Ta....would’ve been a great piece of Trivia.

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

don't know where you got her name from.......she weren't pm at time

It would appear the story is almost true, just that it wasn't an official thing by the looks of it....

https://www.candis.co.uk/all-Extra-Features/fa-cup-final-blunders/

"Missing the mark

After attending the 1978 FA Cup Final between Ipswich and Arsenal as a guest of honour, Margaret Thatcher told Radio 2 that the player wearing the number 10 shirt, Trevor Whymark, had been her Man of the Match. However, despite clearly impressing Maggie, Whymark’s Man of the Match credentials may be called into question as he had been kept out of the team due to injury and had actually failed to play in the match that day."

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

It would appear the story is almost true, just that it wasn't an official thing by the looks of it....

"Missing the mark

After attending the 1978 FA Cup Final between Ipswich and Arsenal as a guest of honour, Margaret Thatcher told Radio 2 that the player wearing the number 10 shirt, Trevor Whymark, had been her Man of the Match. However, despite clearly impressing Maggie, Whymark’s Man of the Match credentials may be called into question as he had been kept out of the team due to injury and had actually failed to play in the match that day."

Typical self-obsessed Thatcher, going for number 10 even as early as 1 year before the general election.

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

"Missing the mark

One thing I don't understand is that this was in the days before squad numbers. If a player was called up to play he was given the shirt corresponding to his position. So there must have been a player in the final on the pitch that day wearing the number 10. Trevor Whymark may well have been the regular player in the number 10 shirt but if he didn't play on that day it would have been someone else.

A quick check shows the player in the number 10 shirt for Ipswich to be David Geddis. 

6 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

One thing I don't understand is that this was in the days before squad numbers. If a player was called up to play he was given the shirt corresponding to his position. So there must have been a player in the final on the pitch that day wearing the number 10. Trevor Whymark may well have been the regular player in the number 10 shirt but if he didn't play on that day it would have been someone else.

A quick check shows the player in the number 10 shirt for Ipswich to be David Geddis. 

I suspect that maybe the teamsheet MT had was printed before Whymark had to withdraw through injury.

You often see old programmes with handwritten amendments where the lineup has changed after printing.

18 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

There’s a story that while they were filming Escape To Victory Beattie had an arm wrestle with Sylvester Stallone and beat him, and that for the rest of the time they were together filming Stallone refused to talk to him after! Shame it never put him off making Over The Top! Anyone who’s seen that film will know what I mean.

A truly awful film. Thank you for reminding me!

15 hours ago, richwwtk said:

He was also picked as Man Of The Match for the 1978 FA Cup Final, despite being an unused squad player. I believe Margaret Thatcher was picking the MoM and took his name at random from a list.

Ha, that is brilliant

22 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Blimey, there's some names from the past! Trevor Whymark, what a good and underrated player he was. I totally agree about the Manager too.

Good work Noggers et all. I really enjoy old stuff like this, it would be nice if we could keep it going with other old pics.

Yep, I love the old pics. too Ska, especially naming the old players - City and opposition - even though I got JR wrong this time. :yes:

22 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Butcher instead of Osman, Whymark instead of Mariner, and probably Talbot instead of Gates, but the team evolved so you're not far out Ska.

Great team assembled by a superb manager.

shows what can be done with the right team spirit, Nottingham forest were similar, not the biggest club but the right blend of players fighting for each other.

On 09/10/2017 at 18:15, The Horse With No Name said:

Just looked it up. It was the last time we won at Ipswich in 1978/ 9 with a last minute Tom Ritchie goal, and the player is Joe Royle.

I'm surprised that it's Royle . 

I remember him as being more lanky than that.

On 09/10/2017 at 23:32, richwwtk said:

He was also picked as Man Of The Match for the 1978 FA Cup Final, despite being an unused squad player. I believe Margaret Thatcher was picking the MoM and took his name at random from a list.

What Margaret Thatcher didn't know about football could have been written on the back of a cigarette packet .

She was a big supporter and favoured attacking on the right wing .

Archived