IGNORED

Shrewsbury Town

Leveller

52 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whilst I was never present when this happened, there used to be a man in a coracle outside the ground who would retrieve balls that had been kicked in to the River Severn behind the ground. 

I saw seven balls go into the river in one match. Bet he was exhausted that night.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whilst I was never present when this happened, there used to be a man in a coracle outside the ground who would retrieve balls that had been kicked in to the River Severn behind the ground. 

And in a good year he could row his coracle across the pitch. Presumably the new one doesn't double as a boating lake.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

We mustn`t forget our sad association with Shrewsbury. It was Dean Horrix`s last game up there before his tragic accident. A 1-0 win IIRC.

That's right, a Dave Smith goal at our end late on. Always remember driving in to Shrewsbury and every car seemed to have City flags and people hanging out of vans, happy days! 

2 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

That's right, a Dave Smith goal at our end late on. Always remember driving in to Shrewsbury and every car seemed to have City flags and people hanging out of vans, happy days! 

March 1990. Was that the game where they announced they were keeping the Shrewsbury fans in and letting us out first as we outnumbered them?:shifty:

12 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

March 1990. Was that the game where they announced they were keeping the Shrewsbury fans in and letting us out first as we outnumbered them?:shifty:

I was in with the Shrews fans where I always stood for their games. I let out an ear splitting shout when Smith scored and they all laughed at me.

Larry Lloyd's brother had a pub nearby and he smilingly told me I was barred after the game, but that only lasted ten seconds.

On 18/10/2017 at 14:35, Davefevs said:

I had the Wales Subbuteo kit, and where one player’s legs had been glued a few times, the player had become shorter.  So he was always Flynn!

I was just going to ask why but good save with the last bit :clapping::laughcont::laugh:

19 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

For some reason I thought I was on the side , or did I dream it. We would have been attacking the goal to my right. Did we have the side as well ??

19 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I was in my teens and got into a bit of bother, went to school the next day with a black eye, embarrassingly I got elbowed in the eye by a full grown bloke who was stood in front of me wrestling a copper who was more than happy to arrest this gobby young lad, of course I told a slightly different story to my school mates.

RIP Dean Horrix

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:30, bcfcredandwhite said:

Thats nothing!!! - Burnley only have a population of 73k and they yo-yo between the Prem and the Championship - which is better than a lot of bigger places (including us) - I can't remember them being any lower than the top half Championship (and I can't be arsed to google it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnley

Unfortunately for the people of Burnley its the only good thing their town has going for it, its bleak, grey and wet.

I live in W Yorkshire but Burnley is close enough for the town I live in to now have a healthy number of Burnley fans to add to the list of Leeds, Bradford and most fondly and closest Halifax Town fans, jeez whatever happened to poor Halifax. I know a few Halifax lads who still follow them and by their accounts their rivalry with nearby Huddersfield was vicious.

8 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Unfortunately for the people of Burnley its the only good thing their town has going for it, its bleak, grey and wet.

I live in W Yorkshire but Burnley is close enough for the town I live in to now have a healthy number of Burnley fans to add to the list of Leeds, Bradford and most fondly and closest Halifax Town fans, jeez whatever happened to poor Halifax. I know a few Halifax lads who still follow them and by their accounts their rivalry with nearby Huddersfield was vicious.

Went by train from Manchester to  Bradford ( v City 0-6) and thought what a rough genuine place Halifax is!! Really, really loved what I saw. Following them in the National League.

14 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Won the FA-Trophy the season they where relegated to National League North

10 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Went by train from Manchester to  Bradford ( v City 0-6) and thought what a rough genuine place Halifax is!! Really, really loved what I saw. Following them in the National League.

I was there pal, great game.

Halifax has some very, very beautiful areas, around the hospital (Calderdale Royal) the houses are large with decadent gating.

Atop of the hill from the hospital is a large grammar school, (posh school) opposite to which is an old tower all made of York Stone (the same as the houses), magnificent pieces of Georgian architecture which is displayed in its glorious best at the newly renovated piece hall, just a few minutes walk from the train station.

http://www.thepiecehall.co.uk/

18 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Halifax has some very, very beautiful areas, around the hospital (Calderdale Royal) the houses are large with decadent gating.

Atop of the hill from the hospital is a large grammar school, (posh school) opposite to which is an old tower all made of York Stone (the same as the houses), magnificent pieces of Georgian architecture which is displayed in its glorious best at the newly renovated piece hall, just a few minutes walk from the train station.

Wow.

I have never been to Halifax, but then I didn't really need to go there to know it was a shithole.

And then, Wow Again!

What on earth is that Piece Hall?

I have just looked it up on Internet, and I am astonished I have never heard mention before of what seems such a magnificent building.

Who would have thought it? In Halifax. Wow. 

25 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Sorry pal, going to have to disagree with you about the piece hall

19 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The Nestlé factory in the valley. A monster.

Yep, a home to rubbish chocolate and a piece of crap architecture.

Halifax does have some shit holes.

Mixenden (Mixy) is a white trash hole, its such a weird place. Coming from the opposite side to Halifax in the car, you basically drive through miles and miles of quaint villages and rolling hills and then a council estate, then another council estate, 2 large tower blocks and a couple of shops, properly ODD. Now I was brought up on a council estate but this one is in the weirdest of places it hangs onto Halifax by a thread with one bus in, one bus out when the service runs that is.

Then there is the Asian hell hole; Kings Cross, rows of terraced houses sloping down a hill, like Mixy full of crack and smack, much like the nearby towns.

1 minute ago, YorkshireSection said:

Yep, a home to rubbish chocolate and a piece of crap architecture.

Halifax does have some shit holes.

Mixenden (Mixy) is a white trash hole, its such a weird place. Coming from the opposite side to Halifax in the car, you basically drive through miles and miles of quaint villages and rolling hills and then a council estate, then another council estate, 2 large tower blocks and a couple of shops, properly ODD. Now I was brought up on a council estate but this one is in the weirdest of places it hangs onto Halifax by a thread with one bus in, one bus out when the service runs that is.

Then there is the Asian hell hole; Kings Cross, rows of terraced houses sloping down a hill, like Mixy full of crack and smack, much like the nearby towns.

Great place to visit! :chant6ez:

1 minute ago, daored said:

Been a couple of times, live in halifax. Personally think there was so much more they could have done to the site 

Its only a refurb though.

They were only allowed to refurbish the site to its original form, so I guess they were very limited in what they could do.

Its definitely a great addition to what would have remained a boring, "normal" town centre, its worth a visit just for the ice cream.

PS: Its nice to know there is another West Yorkshire City fan, how long you been in Fax pal?

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

Its only a refurb though.

They were only allowed to refurbish the site to its original form, so I guess they were very limited in what they could do.

Its definitely a great addition to what would have remained a boring, "normal" town centre, its worth a visit just for the ice cream.

PS: Its nice to know there is another West Yorkshire City fan, how long you been in Fax pal?

Understand what your saying, but think it’s rather bland. For me they could have made more use of the space by turning into more shops etc , places to eat, drink. Just think it’s limited at the minute. Not had the ice cream 

I originally moved to Leeds in 2010 and lived central until I moved to Hipperholme in February 2015. 

Archived