IGNORED

Bobby Reid Striker?

Gmac

I think it's been genius that Reid has been seen as a 'number 10' rather than an attacking midfielder.

He's far more effective higher up the field imo. His constant energy both offensively and defensively has been one of the factors of our success this season.

Lets not forget, this is a lad that hasn't played this role before in league games, and his decision  to go along with it was massive as to what happened further in his career.

I've also noticed how much stronger he's become. You don't knock him off the ball so much these days. His header that just flew wide of the post by a whisker against Leeds also showed he can mix it with the defenders....what it again...he doesn't hold back in getting stuck in.

He had a perfectly good goal disallowed against Burton...He should be sitting top of the goalscorers on his own, let alone being equal top scorer.

Teams have paid £millions to have a top scorer in their team...we've found one in our ranks.

I think like all players, especially goal scorers where it really shows, Bobby is having a bit of a dip in the last couple of games. Well it would have been beyond belief that he could have carried that form on week after week. I do think though this is totally  because the opposition are being aware of him and snuffing him out than his confidence dropping etc.

This in theory should leave more room for other players, but when so many were having an off day against tough opposition it just didn't happen for us. I think a full strength side would have been a different match altogether. We had injuries then tinkered further, too much I think.

14 hours ago, Gmac said:

Well this might be a bit controversial but this is my honest opinion after watching last couple of home games. I personally would like to start looking at other options up top. I just don’t see him as a striker, admittedly he has proven that he is good poacher around the box but for me hasn’t done anything that Taylor can’t do.

I’m NOT saying I DON'T want him in the team just not as a striker when we have goal scorers in the squad. There have been numerous times were Fammy finds himself receiving the ball and Reid is nowhere near him, he does not have the positional sense to play up top. The 10 minutes I saw of Taylor against Leeds he was constantly on the shoulder of the last man looking for the ball or looking for the knock down from his strike partner.

Now I know he has scored a few goals this season but if I’m right in thinking (most likely wrong) they have mostly been tap ins not clear cut chances. I would much prefer him in the team but in a free role behind the two up top that allows him to drift late into the box. Now this will call for a change in the system we play and I not saying a have a solution to this, but lucky for us I am not the one who gets paid to make these decisions.

Would like to reiterate this is just my opinion after watching a couple of home games where we have had little of a goal threat and is not in response to the Leeds game.

So have you seen all the other games or is it just Leeds and Burton?

He’s joint top scorer in the championship at present so crazy to consider alternatives. Maybe he’s getting closer attention due to his goal tally. He’s always been a player who shines for a few games and then drifts into anonymity. Saying Taylor does the same thing is wrong IMHO because his record speaks for itself as does his first touch.

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think like all players, especially goal scorers where it really shows, Bobby is having a bit of a dip in the last couple of games. Well it would have been beyond belief that he could have carried that form on week after week. I do think though this is totally  because the opposition are being aware of him and snuffing him out than his confidence dropping etc.

This in theory should leave more room for other players, but when so many were having an off day against tough opposition it just didn't happen for us. I think a full strength side would have been a different match altogether. We had injuries then tinkered further, too much I think.

Tbh RedM I don't think his form has dipped.

He scored a cracking goal against Burton that was wrongly disallowed.

Against Leeds Woodrow did nothing to help feed him. Leko was bloody awful...one ball into the box, too close to keeper and near post. Then got moved into midfield for Taylor and Flint. I thought he'd scored with the header...then he did a 'Bas Savage'...which made me chuckle.

As you say, other influences haven't helped him.

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

It's always a big joke!

I don't agree with that, off the top of my head I can remember Pack scoring cracking long range goals away at Coventry and Fulham and notching with great finishes at home to Leeds and QPR....his finishing certainly isn't 'always a big joke' - but it was pretty woeful on Saturday...

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I think it's been genius that Reid has been seen as a 'number 10' rather than an attacking midfielder.

He's far more effective higher up the field imo. His constant energy both offensively and defensively has been one of the factors of our success this season.

Lets not forget, this is a lad that hasn't played this role before in league games, and his decision  to go along with it was massive as to what happened further in his career.

I've also noticed how much stronger he's become. You don't knock him off the ball so much these days. His header that just flew wide of the post by a whisker against Leeds also showed he can mix it with the defenders....what it again...he doesn't hold back in getting stuck in.

He had a perfectly good goal disallowed against Burton...He should be sitting top of the goalscorers on his own, let alone being equal top scorer.

Teams have paid £millions to have a top scorer in their team...we've found one in our ranks.

Have to say I'm not convinced it's been 'genius' as such. If you look back to the summer it was actually more a case of LJ having no other options up top due to injuries to Taylor/Đurić and Engvall being not rated/on loan. I think it was only ever supposed to be a temporary measure, probably until Đurić got fit, who LJ rates highly. But Reid's form in that position, coupled with continuing injuries to Taylor/Đurić and now Fam have made him un-droppable for the time being.

I do kind of see where the OP is coming from. I only ever thought Reid in this position would be temporary and once Đurić returns to full fitness (if he does)  and Reid falls out of form (probably inevitable at some point) then I wouldn't be surprised for things to be changed up. For now though we have few options other than to stick with Reid, who is rewarding his manager.

I was thinking about this last night. Bobby’s goals have dried up a bit but Fam’s have picked up. Possible after a few games teams starting marking Bobby differently? He seems to have much less time on the call than he was getting at the start of the season. 

Personally im keeping him up there. He brings so much more to the team than any other option maybe bar Matty Taylor who’s struggling to stay fit and take his chances. Bobby’s pressing is also very important to our play. I never expected him to be a 15-20 goal striker so the facts he’s got 7 in the league is already well above expectations. Him and Fam is probably our best pairing though I’d love to see more Fam and Taylor at some point while Milan we’ll have to see who he fits best with. 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Have to say I'm not convinced it's been 'genius' as such. If you look back to the summer it was actually more a case of LJ having no other options up top due to injuries to Taylor/Đurić and Engvall being not rated/on loan. I think it was only ever supposed to be a temporary measure, probably until Đurić got fit, who LJ rates highly. But Reid's form in that position, coupled with continuing injuries to Taylor/Đurić and now Fam have made him un-droppable for the time being.

I do kind of see where the OP is coming from. I only ever thought Reid in this position would be temporary and once Đurić returns to full fitness (if he does)  and Reid falls out of form (probably inevitable at some point) then I wouldn't be surprised for things to be changed up. For now though we have few options other than to stick with Reid, who is rewarding his manager.

Did you see the interview with Reid regarding becoming more of a forward Mate?

I got the impression it was calculated rather than a manoeuvre because of injury.

Đurić is also a completely different striker to Reid.

Imo the way we play is all about pressing high with lots of energy from the front line.

I don't think Taylor or Đurić would be able to give that amount of energy...both completely different from Reid imo.

The role Bobby's playing now is the only position he'll get into the side.

Fair play to him, he's surprised everyone and done really well but he's a confidence player and he does need the goals to keep coming, albeit no one expects him to continue his early season rate. The last thing we want to see though is him completely fizzling out in that position with a long non scoring run.

This is the responsibility of the coach imo.- it's up to LJ to work out exactly why BR was doing so well, and getting into so many goalscoring positions, and ensure, as far as possible, the team is set up tactically so that continues. No forward can thrive, football or confidence wise in a team that isn't creating chances.

Bobby's getting little or no opportunities to continue his great start at the moment, but that's not his fault, and he's certainly worth persevering with.

Archived