IGNORED

Our Last QF against Bradford

ashton_fan

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Big fluorescent red digital clock / timer that took an eternity to change the minutes !!

Walshy scored far too early

Took us about 8 hrs to crawl back through the night in horrendous fog

Great memories 

Think that was when the Bradford fans took a liking to attacking the vans Superbob that night. I was sat next to Ralph Milne in the stand.. Think it was just after he signed for Man U?

Might have been on your van SuperBob but my memory is shite.

That stand was rockin that nite.

3 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Think that was when the Bradford fans took a liking to attacking the vans Superbob that night. I was sat next to Ralph Milne in the stand.. Think it was just after he signed for Man U?

Thought you were - with RM and some lads from Keynsham 

RM was giving it the big un to some Bradford fans after game , whilst we were sat at lights just as 30-40 of them charged around the corner !!

We didn’t hang around for the green light 

does that jog the memory ?

Yes! Right again!

That was the one, forgot the Keynsham lads. We were with them and some Timsbury lads from the Guss & Crook - it all comes back to me now! 

You know the Timsbury guys. Bradford was a rough old town in those days. Got naughty outside the ground.

12 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought you were - with RM and some lads from Keynsham 

RM was giving it the big un to some Bradford fans after game , whilst we were sat at lights just as 30-40 of them charged around the corner !!

We didn’t hang around for the green light 

does that jog the memory ?

I first went to Bradford in Oct 84, and they were very keen on throwing stones at vans then. Not interested, though, in sticking around to hear how the people inside the vans felt about them trashing the windows of the vans, when the people in the vans decided to get out the vans and "engage" them. In other words, they ran a mile. What I was doing in that van - well, it's a long story, it was the 80s, I was so much younger then, these things happened. I was no "kiddie" either, mind. I just had the right Bennetton top on that day...

Totally outnumbered, a few City lads (not me!) turned the Bradford braves on their heels. Gutless w***ers, Bradford, in my experience. We drove in two cars in Jan '89!

12 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Yes! Right again!

That was the one, forgot the Keynsham lads. We were with them and some Timsbury lads from the Guss & Crook - it all comes back to me now! 

You know the Timsbury guys. Bradford was a rough old town in those days. Got naughty outside the ground.

I must know you mate i used to drink in the Guss and Crook

17 hours ago, weepywall said:

We came back minus a window on our coach, the lad sat next to the window was arrested for jumping out of it and chasing the stone thrower, he was released at midnight think we got back at about 5.30am, it was one of the best away games ever. I seem to recall a Bradford fan was stabbed that night and he was hanging around Bradford magistrates court when I took my mate back up for his court appearance, he was surprisingly friendly though !!!!

Never heard that and think you may have that the wrong way round weepywall. 

I do remember reading in the EP afterwards that a City fan was stabbed that night - in fact they reported he was in a very serious condition in a Bradford hospital   - after a minibus was attacked after the game.

7 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

I must've been just behind you as remember Ralph Milne being in the stand - spent most of the game stood on my seat!!

Small world Chessels Chick! He was a nice bloke and actually spoke to me! Claim to fame :laugh:.

We had a fantastic away following that night, loads of noise, rowdy outside, and great result. Used to love the away days. 

On 25/10/2017 at 10:59, HIGHRIDGE BCFC said:

Went to every game of that cup run. Ties were two legged for the first couple of rounds.

Exeter, Oxford, Palace, Tranmere, Bradford and then Forest in the semi's.

Bradford away is one of my all time favourites.

The atmosphere on the terraces was unbelievable!

Must have sung "when we see City win the Littlewoods cup, we shall not be moved" continuously for what seemed the whole game, as I can remember?

I went to the Oxford, Palace, Bradford and both Forest games - All brilliant matches and memories.

Ralph Milne unplayable at home to Palace. Didn't we play in all white at Bradford or am I making that up ?

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

I must know you mate i used to drink in the Guss and Crook

Probably?

Here are the abbreviations of some of the “City nutters” I knew - TC, CW, MP, SR, Y, etc? You might be one of them? I still live in the Chew Valley, used to go with RM from Bath a lot. Survived to tell some tales (:laugh:).

Went to Italy World Cup with some of them. Crazy days. Ought to write a book really!

SuperBob thought me all I know about football! 

Legend!

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Never heard that and think you may have that the wrong way round weepywall. 

I do remember reading in the EP afterwards that a City fan was stabbed that night - in fact they reported he was in a very serious condition in a Bradford hospital   - after a minibus was attacked after the game.

You could be right, my memory is not good, just seem to recall a few Bradford at the court and chatting to one that had been stabbed.

It was this result that made me believe that City were genuine contenders for promotion.

Bradford were flying high at the time , not to be mistaken for the Bradford of today .

We were very much the underdogs .

The pity is that Jordan left before our full potential was achieved.

Jimmy Lumsden was a decent man but it felt like we were settling for second best with him as manager .

It marked another " What might have been " chapter  in the Bristol City history book .

16 hours ago, weepywall said:

You could be right, my memory is not good, just seem to recall a few Bradford at the court and chatting to one that had been stabbed.

I thought it was a Bradford fan, because didn't some bright spark on our board offer him a season ticket......for AG.

6 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Do you remember being attacked by a cleaver swinging Turkish kebab van owner as we tried to tip his takeaway van up on the way back from an away game - I was with you Weepywall that nite somewhere in the UK?

Think we turned off his generator also? We were hungry!

You were hungry so you turned off his generator .

The very generator he would use for cooking his kebabs .

Nice work .

:blink:

Archived