IGNORED

Anyone else agree...

spudski

2 hours ago, lenred said:

I thought until we scored we were being overrun in midfield or at least it looked that way to me and it was a bit of a talking point around us that we were struggling to get a hold of the ball and everything was mostly bypassing the middle. Once we equalised though it was completely different, their heads dropped and we bossed the midfield and all other areas completely. Thought last night really showed again how confidence has such a massive effect on a game. We looked a different team once we scored having not done so for a couple of games, and they obviously capitulated once we did. 

We were being over run definitely agree. The reason we conceded is the lack of protection and the amount of space Sako kept having to run into. 

LJ and Co must have had a word as Pack brownhill and cod started slotting back in and plugging the gaps. Suddenly the team could press as a unit and stop the through balls being slipped in. Then we looked solid! 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

....we play so much better when we don't play 'out and out wingers'.

So much more solid in midfield last night. Still had width and an outlet to stretch the opposition...but no gaping holes.

On a side note...what solid performances from Pisano, Đurić and Magners. You would have thought from their performances that they'd been starting every week.

What a beast of a player Sako is too....wouldn't mind him in our midfield.

What I noticed was for the first 25 minutes, we were overrun in midfield, their midfield and especially Sako tore our midfield to shreds and again central midfield was the problem, Pack was caught out of position for their goal and was never going to get back.

However after their goal, we seemed to tighten up in midfield and Pack and Brownhill to their eternal credit gradually took control and for the next hour we controlled the midfield area which was the platform for a great performance and result, Brownhill had a terrific game and was my MOM for the 2nd game running, he is improving all of the time, as long as Pack does not venture too far forward and sticks to what he is best at, tackling and giving mainly simple passes IMHO he is then a far better player.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

We started with a back 3 Joe. I think Lee deserves much credit for seeing we were getting overrun and Magnússon, in particular, was struggling. After Pisano was asked to drop back, we had the width to cut out the relentless passes to Sako. 

Thought we started 442, Joe was certainly further forward then a wing back would be and the guys warmed up as a back 4. 

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Agree about Sako - amazed he doesn't get more game time at Palace.

I thought that Milan was superb, but Pisano took a long time to find his feet again and Magnússon wasn't without his dodgy moments.

Sako would be a great signing for us. But he can't handle the Prem. Shows the gap. 

4 hours ago, spudski said:

So much more solid in midfield last night. Still had width and an outlet to stretch the opposition...but no gaping holes.

On a side note...what solid performances from Pisano, Đurić and Magners. You would have thought from their performances that they'd been starting every week.

Totally agree. Which imo was a major factor against Leeds. We get over run & out numbered in the middle. I also feel the movement stagnates from this, Patterson drifts into little pockets of space & causes the opposition problems. Wingers tend to naturally hug the touch line, which then leaves bigger space between the lines on turn over.  Plus allows the overlap for Bryan etc when they drift in. Much more compact playing like this. COYR 

51 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I don't agree we started with a back 3!

Regardless of the intention, that was how we played for about half an hour. At that stage, during a break in play, Johnson had a word with Pisano who then relayed instructions to Wright and things went a much more orthodox flat back 4 from then on.  Which is why we started to deal with the threat of Sako better.

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Thought we started 442, Joe was certainly further forward then a wing back would be and the guys warmed up as a back 4. 

I think we were a bit lopsided so perhaps not a true 442 or 352. Whether Mags was LB or LCB and Bryan LWB or LW is not easy to call, but Pisano starting position was way in advance of a normal RB, definitely more RWB. 

O’Dowda tucked in to join JBhill and Marlon rather than us going 442. Pisano didn’t really change. 

At the end if the Day formations become too fluid during a match to be able to say for sure how we lined up. 

I must watch their goal again tonight. Wright was fouled and we got caught as a result. Bailey ended up attacking balls in the air in Mags’s zone which I don’t think helped. Easy to say Mags out of position, but Wright wanted to come for every header, no matter where it was. He did it well, but Good opponents notice the space it leaves!!!!!

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Thought Loftus -cheek caused us problems getting getting in behind pack and pulling our defenders out of shape imo. After we scored it seemed we had a better shape but we had them on the back foot and he wasn’t as influential after that. 

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I don't agree we started with a back 3!

Bloke behind me said it was 3-5-2 but I didn’t see it like that. Pisano and mags were playing fullbacks. If we were playing 3 in midfield then it didn’t work wth the amount of space Loftus-cheek and puncheon we’re getting first 20 minutes. 

Rarely seen a goal affect a game so much.  We were chasing shadows and they looked hugely confident.  They gift us a goal and then shrink back into themselves whilst we grow as much as they shrunk.  They look absolutely nailed on to go down if that is what they have in reserve.  Would be seriously impressed if Woy keeps them up.  

14 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Actually thought we were all over the shop in the first half hour, we found it hard to cope with Palace, if it were not for them letting us back in as they did a better defensive outfit would have beaten us well. So there is still some work to do, a lot, Maggers looked out of his depth at times, plus the usual slip and fall, we gave the ball away for fun too, second half was a lot better, but this result was great albeit we should not be thinking we are the finished article, just yet.. 

to be fair not many on here think we are the finished article.

I put the 1st 20 mins or so down to none of us having a clue which players palace would select and what system they would play. It must have made doing our home work extremely difficult. 

As the game went on tho we soon learned about them.

There maybe was a little bit of luck in our goal but we made that luck by asking questions of their defense. Mistake aside tho that finish by Taylor was a sublime finish, if you watch the replay carefully Matty had his back to goal and his eyes were firmly on the ball and on Van Aaanholt, he didn't have eyes on the goal until he had shot and for me that makes it such a great goal. To instinctively know where the goal is really is a gift.

Archived