IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda

You Do The Dziekanowski

4 hours ago, nickolas said:

I think playing on the left should be a must. Stuck on the right he never takes anyone on. 

Absolutely, he played well before Pato was taken off on the RHS, but simply cannot take his man on the outside because on the wrong foot so always cuts in. Once Pato went off and he switched to LHS the difference was clear, balls cut back from the byline are always more difficult to defend. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

To be picky he should have buried the match when clean through and just the keeper to beat for 3-1.

Still excellent match and two assists the boy done good.

As others have said , good to see him on the left . When he plays on the right he tends to cut in and often loses possession.

Well done Callum , becoming un droppable.

Harsh - was a great run to get there and a great save !

Edit - might be thinking of a different chance.

13 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I’ve said it in another thread. 

But this lad is most improved this season. Love his style and direct approach and has worked on his final ball which gave him many critics last term. 

Man of the Match performance today according to reports.

i thought he had a poorish game for his standard tbh, well up until the 65th min then never put a foot wrong, way  too many misplaced passes in the first half though did put the cross over for reids goal.

I don't think you can discount the fact that McGeady was playing for Sunderland today as an additional incentive for him to do well. He is trying to get ahead of him for the ROI side so you would imagine that any Irish scouts watching today would have been comparing their performances.

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't think you can discount the fact that McGeady was playing for Sunderland today as an additional incentive for him to do well. He is trying to get ahead of him for the ROI side so you would imagine that any Irish scouts watching today would have been comparing their performances.

And Keane was there

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And Keane was there

He was and presumably would have been impressed.

I wonder if Callum`s performances for the ROI, particularly the MOM one v Georgia(?) have made the lad believe he can be that good. He`s never looked a player that is short on confidence to me but if he read what was being said after that game he must have been so pleased and that has to be a good thing.

It`s obvious from what he`s said in the past that Martin O`Neill rates him and sees him as one of the key players in the country`s future. McGeady`s 31 now so probably has the next WC and possibly the next Euros in him but I think Callum will get more and more international game time in the future.

14 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

As you know Fordy there have been defenders in the past that have struggled to stop these left footed wonders.

Bet you could name one or two that only use the right for standing on.?

Everyone knew what Alan Walsh was going to do but,,,

21 hours ago, nickolas said:

I think playing on the left should be a must. Stuck on the right he never takes anyone on. 

Agree. He always cuts inside when playing on the right as he’s so left footed. Play him on the left and we’ll get him going outside his man and crossing like he did for Djuric’s goal yesterday. I’m sure Paterson could cope with playing on the right. 

4 hours ago, Packman said:

Remember when Wes burns dad said that we got absolutely ripped off when we spent £1m on Callum? :P looking like an absolute bargain now.

I remember his dad saying a lot of things that seemed odd at the time and now seem down right actionable in retrospect. Meanwhile his wonderful son was an unused sub for a mid-table league one side yesterday, whilst a team consisting of many players he criticised or claimed were unhappy, moved into 4th in the Championship. I guess just being ITK is no good if you bring an agenda with your information. :whistle:

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Keane was at the match

Have said for ages I like him better on the left. Only problem is Pato looks nowhere near as good on the right. Though if Milan is playing probably better to go COD on left and maybe Eliasson or Brownhill on the right. Remember some saying Eliasson was rubbish against Burton, not great but did look to get crosses in. Think he could thrive with a target to aim for like Djuric. 

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Have said for ages I like him better on the left. Only problem is Pato looks nowhere near as good on the right. Though if Milan is playing probably better to go COD on left and maybe Eliasson or Brownhill on the right. Remember some saying Eliasson was rubbish against Burton, not great but did look to get crosses in. Think he could thrive with a target to aim for like Djuric. 

Sounds familiar, I wonder what they will be saying about him in a season or so? :whistle:

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Sounds familiar, I wonder what they will be saying about him in a season or so? :whistle:

We will see. Can see the natural talent in both. What I like about Callum is he has all the unteachable things. He is big, strong and athletic. He needed work on his technique and help pushing his football IQ like where to be defensively. 

Eliasson doesn’t have the physical attributes of Callum. He is a bit smaller and slighter and that is fine. He is quick though. Looks like he has that quick first step on the ball that can leave a defender struggling to get back. Plus, I think he has an excellent cross on him from both sides but particularlly when he cuts back on it from the right side. He doesn’t appear to have the natural work rate as Callum imo either which is why I think he is being brought along slowly. Maybe a bit more like a Paterson style winger than an O’Dowda style winger as well with a bit more comfort staying wide. 

I don't listen to many of the interviews but I just listened to Callums post match and was quite shocked. He has the Irish name and I think he looks very Irish to my eyes, but he has a very well spoken English voice and sounds a very bright chap. Must be the Oxford influence. :)

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't listen to many of the interviews but I just listened to Callums post match and was quite shocked. He has the Irish name and I think he looks very Irish to my eyes, but he has a very well spoken English voice and sounds a very bright chap. Must be the Oxford influence. :)

I think being born in, and growing up in Kidlington may have played a part.

On 29/10/2017 at 15:09, JoeAman08 said:

Isn’t Eliasson also left footed ? 

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Isn’t Eliasson also left footed ? 

Yes but I think he is more effective on the right, at least from the little I have seen from him. Think he could really pick out Djuric on crosses. Possibly our best crosser of the ball. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but I think he is more effective on the right, at least from the little I have seen from him. Think he could really pick out Djuric on crosses. Possibly our best crosser of the ball. 

While only one game and I'm certainly not going to use it as a way to write him off, his crossing against Stoke was atrocious.

That said, he beat their defenders with ease every time.

Was thinking earlier- so happy for him.

Last season, he was working hard but it wasn't quite falling for him- in a struggling team, he wasn't quite there. I remember he hit the bar approaching half time v Norwich in what was arguably- 2nd half anyway- early stages of our revivial. Might have started clicking for him a bit sooner had that gone in.

Archived