IGNORED

Football League Paper - Big LJ interview

iamalagerdrinker

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Anything new said or is it all old rehashed news?

More media recognition for the club which is all good.

Offered four managerial positions abroad before taking City job.

Wants to stay with City 'as long as physically' possible, but wouldn't mind managing abroad in the future.

See's himself as a 'Geek' when it comes to coaching...always looking for new methods that work.

Good interview by Sam Parkin in their as well about us.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Offered four managerial positions abroad before taking City job.

Wants to stay with City 'as long as physically' possible, but wouldn't mind managing abroad in the future.

See's himself as a 'Geek' when it comes to coaching...always looking for new methods that work.

4 jobs abroad, any idea who they may of been Spud? Are we calling offers from Scotland as foreign or are we talking ‘proper abroad’?

Be interesting to know just how big those clubs that were interested in him are & if they maybe able to tempt him in the future.

Glad to hear that he wants to stay with us for as long as possible & with any luck there’ll be no reason for a new man in charge here for many years to come.

Is Sam Parkin the ex-Chelsea, Swindon & Exeter player or just coincidence?

15 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

4 jobs abroad, any idea who they ypud? Are we calling offers from Scotland as foreign or are we talking ‘proper abroad’?

Be interesting to know just how big those clubs that were interested in him are & if they maybe able to tempt him in the future.

Glad to hear that he wants to stay with us for as long as possible & with any luck there’ll be no reason for a new man in charge here for many years to come.

Yes it is the ex Swindon striker he was at the Palace game very complimentry about the team, ground etc.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

4 jobs abroad, any idea who they may of been Spud? Are we calling offers from Scotland as foreign or are we talking ‘proper abroad’?

Hi mate...said he wouldn't name them, but two in Europe and two further afield.

Was in relation to Roy Hodgson and talking to him after the Palace game and emulating what he had done abroad. Knows GJ well from taking him to Malmo when he was managing there.

I agree....would love a Ferguson type run at City.

Yes...Parkin the same man. Was at the Palace game watching.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Hi mate...said he wouldn't name them, but two in Europe and two further afield.

Was in relation to Roy Hodgson and talking to him after the Palace game and emulating what he had done abroad. Knows GJ well from taking him to Malmo when he was managing there.

I agree....would love a Ferguson type run at City.

Yes...Parkin the same man. Was at the Palace game watching.

Wow, really intrigued to know who it could of been & what sort of level we’re talking considering he had a limited amount of experience prior to joining us & he still wouldn’t be considered to be someone with lots of experience despite his time with us.

It really does feel like we currently have someone who wants to be here for footballing reasons though & for what they can build rather than just being here to line his pockets. But it’s good to see that he has ambitions to progress, hopefully he can do that with us before he has to consider moving elsewhere (if he has to).

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Wow, really intrigued to know who it could of been & what sort of level we’re talking considering he had a limited amount of experience prior to joining us & he still wouldn’t be considered to be someone with lots of experience despite his time with us.

It really does feel like we currently have someone who wants to be here for footballing reasons though & for what they can build rather than just being here to line his pockets. But it’s good to see that he has ambitions to progress, hopefully he can do that with us before he has to consider moving elsewhere (if he has to).

Agreed mate...he is highly regarded in footballing circles. Like he said in his interview, he meets lots of coach's that are English at seminars and coaching courses, that he knows would be excellent at coaching and managing clubs at a high level, they just don't get the chance.

He alluded to the Championship becoming even more 'European' with a higher influx of managers and players from abroad. Saying British coach's and some players have to except starting lower down the leagues.

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

Agreed mate...he is highly regarded in footballing circles. Like he said in his interview, he meets lots of coach's that are English at seminars and coaching courses, that he knows would be excellent at coaching and managing clubs at a high level, they just don't get the chance.

He alluded to the Championship becoming even more 'European' with a higher influx of managers and players from abroad. Saying British coach's and some players have to except starting lower down the leagues.

Totally agree & you only have to look at the success of our English coaches at junior international level now, people that are fairly unknown to the majority of supporters.

And from what he alluded to (from what you have said) was part of the reason I gave up on my coaching by the time I was 30, despite being voted 3rd best out of over 300 coaches while in the States in 1999, I came back & just found it impossible to get a job within the game because I had no real playing history behind me despite only being 29 at the time & the extortionate fee’s the FA wanted for me to progress further just meant it wasn’t viable as I couldn’t justify paying out the money they were asking just to coach Saturday local football when any Tom, Dick or Harry could do it without qualifications.

It used to be very much a case of ‘secret handshakes’ & the likes to get anywhere in the business.

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Totally agree & you only have to look at the success of our English coaches at junior international level now, people that are fairly unknown to the majority of supporters.

And from what he alluded to (from what you have said) was part of the reason I gave up on my coaching by the time I was 30, despite being voted 3rd best out of over 300 coaches while in the States in 1999, I came back & just found it impossible to get a job within the game because I had no real playing history behind me despite only being 29 at the time & the extortionate fee’s the FA wanted for me to progress further just meant it wasn’t viable as I couldn’t justify paying out the money they were asking just to coach Saturday local football when any Tom, Dick or Harry could do it without qualifications.

It used to be very much a case of ‘secret handshakes’ & the likes to get anywhere in the business.

I feel your pain mate...very much jobs for the boys.

However...Clubs are opening up to 'outsiders' more so in the analytical side of the game.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Offered four managerial positions abroad Wants to stay with City 'as long as physically' possible, but wouldn't mind managing abroad in the future.

" Offered four managerial positions abroad " 

You mean Cardiff , Wrexham , Newport and Kilmarnock wanted him ? 

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

Never say never mate...I got my Coaching badges in another sport in my 40's. Changed my life for the better.

:laugh:, unfortunately I struggle to walk now mate & can’t sit or stand long enough for a match anymore, I’d say that leaves me in a pretty impossible position with regards to football coaching.

19 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

:laugh:, unfortunately I struggle to walk now mate & can’t sit or stand long enough for a match anymore, I’d say that leaves me in a pretty impossible position with regards to football coaching.

But not in other avenues of life mate...keep positive ;-)

Archived