IGNORED

Biggest let-down?

Edge1981

City very rarely turn up for big matches, don't know why but it's a fact.

For me my pain is spread over several matches.

Swindon home to miss out on the play offs, was it a Gordon Owen miss???

Walsall away in the replayed second leg.

May 2nd 1990 (much pain)

BHA (felt numb)

Hull at Wembley ( the alcohol helped)

3 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

City very rarely turn up for big matches, don't know why but it's a fact.

For me my pain is spread over several matches.

Swindon home to miss out on the play offs, was it a Gordon Owen miss???

Walsall away in the replayed second leg.

May 2nd 1990 (much pain)

BHA (felt numb)

Hull at Wembley ( the alcohol helped)

Missed a pen , before missing another at Wembley a few weeks later

Good player though

Good shout and Walsall PO replay another one 

:grr:

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

The 04 play off was massively disappointing and its hard to look past that one.

I would like to throw Preston away on the last day of the season in 98. We were playing well under JW but with a few games to go we flogged the Goat to Man City and Jason Roberts had flounced off in a strop. This left on loan striker Sean McCarthy as the only man up front. All we had to do was win and we were champions. Keeping in mind we were about 10 points behind Watford in November, we had fought back well.

As it was McCarthy scored, pulled his back doing a daft celebration and was taken off and all we had left up front was Greg Goodridge.

The title was Watford's. 

cost me a few hundred quid that, I could hear the city fans singing after the final whistle and I was pissed right off in the car at the traffic lights

Main one for me has to be the Brighton play off final. We just didn’t get going in that game. After the dramatic win against Hartlepool I really thought it was going to be our season.

Others that stand out are the 2000 Wembley defeat by Stoke, 3-0 at Trumpton and 5-1 at Blackpool.

The final game of last season at home ended up being a damp squib as well. I was really hoping to send Brom down in front of a big crowd but things just didn’t click on the day.

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Yep, Brighton. Nothing else even comes close. I still don't like talking about that day.

Youre right,no-one brings it up in conversation. We've all seen City not turn up for various games,but to do it to the accompanying racket of crappy plastic horns was unbearable. 

The night I spent at Trumpton in 1990 still remains as the worst moment I've ever had in football - we didn't play that badly but it was just having to stay standing on the terraces and being forced to watch the gas celebrations- traumatic. It stayed with me until 3rd May 2014 when I felt an awful lot better.

I still love Colin Daniel

Bristol Rovers' 94-year stay in the Football League came to an end after they lost against Mansfield. 

The Pirates needed a draw at home to the Stags but found themselves behind after Colin Daniel volleyed in off the post in the 36th minute. 

The home side knew they needed a goal, but saw three efforts hit the crossbar. And their relegation to the Conference Premier on goal difference was confirmed after Northampton and Wycombe won their final-day games.

:clap::clap::clap::clapping:

11 hours ago, redandy1 said:

That would be mine as well. But could not remember the date. Although play off against Brentford at home I think under John Ward ran it a close second.

Was'nt that the game when when Uriah Rennie gave the worst performance in the History of Refereeing? I seem to recall him giving Tony Thorpe offside when he was making a run from inside our half.

1 hour ago, SimonR said:

Was'nt that the game when when Uriah Rennie gave the worst performance in the History of Refereeing? I seem to recall him giving Tony Thorpe offside when he was making a run from inside our half.

I think your right about Rennie and his performance. I  am getting old I had totally forgotten that.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

And it's hi ho silver bloody lining .

For the farce against Stoke . 

A WTF. moment at Wembley .

That was a terrible moment. Why the hell did we choose that over The Wurzels I will never know. Plus we had that awful gold and blue kit! :grr:

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

13th April 2002 - going for promotion....4-0 down at half time away at Blackpool....lost 5-1....utter disbelief in the away 'side' - we nearly went back to The Manchester Bar at half time, but saw it out to the bitter end...gutted...

Christ I’d forgotten that one. Went up full of expectation.

Highlights though were the Tower Ballroom, a nice hotel overlooking the beach and a bit of hanky panky;) and watching a woman fall out of a taxi with her skirt up round her waist but managing to keep her glass of Chardonnay upright! 

16 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

Sounds like you suffered more than most City fans after that game. 

Yep, but guess who was singing "one nil on your big day out" the loudest at the end of last seasons game when we stopped them claiming the title with a 1-0 win at the Amex, revenge can be sweet

For me it's got to be New Years Day 1987, a good performance but a gut wrenching sickener of a result. Just beats the play off against Brighton (though I came away from that one with more of a sense of perspective, having sat next someone who kept yelling "I hope you die of cancer Ref", very classy :mf_sleep:)  Hull was disappointing, but part of me thought we just weren't ready for the Prem (I'd be more confident now :cool:).

The play off games were gutting, but for me the most disappointing result was when I took my eldest son to his first game at Ashton Gate in the mid/late '80s.  We both felt excited, I was thrilled to take him, really looking forward to it.

Lost.

To Chester ******* City.

Fortunately it didn't put him off and I suppose he learnt the downside of following City early on in life!

I think it was 1987 New Year's Day game against the gas. We battered them all game, Timmy Carter the Rover's keeper was off injured for part of the game. Then, couple of minutes from time the ball falls to Gary Smart about 25 yards out and he just hits it and the ball flies into the net.

Up there with the BHA play off game for feeling numb after a game.

46 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Lost.

To Chester ******* City.

Fortunately it didn't put him off and I suppose he learnt the downside of following City early on in life!

Chester was a let down for me also, but some time before yours. 1969-70 FA Cup 3rd round. City mid table Div 2 away to Div 4 Chester and lost 2-1. 

Archived