IGNORED

Fulham Forum - Praise for BCFC (merged)

Xiled

On 01/11/2017 at 21:44, BS4 on Tour... said:

I do despise the myth that Neil Warnock's teams are 'cheats' - his teams over the last two seasons have finished 4th and 5th in the 'Fair Play' league....and before that he finished 11th and 11th - suggests other teams 'cheat' more than Neil's teams - and calling him 'Colin' is so tired and old and boring - he's a very successful English manager and a top bloke....

I am with you.  100%. There is so much bo++++ks talked about him.  Shame we never saw him here,  was not mean't to be.  Look what he has done at Cardiff, and else where. 

I recall after the Palace play off game he was 'punched' by a 'happy'  supporter with the mini pitch invasion after the result.  Could have mean't big trouble but he laughed it off.  He also went into our changing room and told the team to on and get promoted after beating his team. To me that is total respect.  Somehow this gets forgotten.  Anyone who loves  footie also should have a read of his book.  Its a brilliant read.  Such is life.  

7 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

The play table is based purely on cards given out. So 1st of all if you are actually good at cheating you don't actually get that many cards (off the ball niggles and scraps and verbally wind ups). 2nd a lot of what you expect from an NW team is things that are unlikely to get you a card - throwing the ball away, exaggerating injuries, staying down longer than necessary, suddenly having a face/head injury when the opposition are about to break away etc. All things similar to the how Burton play/ed. I willing to bet they are not doing too badly in the fair play table either. If you don't think this is how Cardiff will play then you are deluding yourself. 

Is it effective? Yes. Is Warnock a fantastic manager at this level? Yes. Would I want city to play like a Warnock team to gain success? Not a chance.

How much of that is really cheating though?

I consider most of that just being a bit clever and streetwise and using the nature of the game and the way it’s refereed to your advantage. 

I think the posh phrase these days is ‘game management’. Like it or not I think most successful teams will be pretty good at. Not doing these things these days is probably being a bit naive.

8 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

I consider most of that just being a bit clever and streetwise and using the nature of the game and the way it’s refereed to your advantage. 

I think the posh phrase these days is ‘game management’. Like it or not I think most successful teams will be pretty good at. Not doing these things these days is probably being a bit naive.

You are welcome to call it streetwise or game management if you like. But if you are tricking the official to gain an advantage by - wasting time, kicking out when the focus isn't on you etc. you cheating otherwise anything the official misses is not cheating. Hit a player and the ref doesn't see it and its just being streetwise? Jump with the keeper and handle it over his head but the ref doesn't see it, just gamesmanship? I mean, it doesn't matter what you call these things it ends up being semantics. You can say Warnocks teams have good game management if you like, I'd call it cheating but either way we mean the same thing.

2 hours ago, Wardie said:

Jesus Christ! That team :facepalm: No wonder we went down. Look at that back 4!!! Also what ever happened to Liam Kelly?! Did we swap him for Korey at Oldham? What a deal that was!!

We paid about £200k as well I think. Korey's contract was running out if I remember rightly. Kelly did well at Oldham for a few years. I quite liked him at League One level 

1 hour ago, jimmyb said:

Running the clock down by keeping the ball in the corner is game management.

Falling over and rolling around everytime someone breathes within 5 yards of you is being a cheating****.

49 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

You are welcome to call it streetwise or game management if you like. But if you are tricking the official to gain an advantage by - wasting time, kicking out when the focus isn't on you etc. you cheating otherwise anything the official misses is not cheating. Hit a player and the ref doesn't see it and its just being streetwise? Jump with the keeper and handle it over his head but the ref doesn't see it, just gamesmanship? I mean, it doesn't matter what you call these things it ends up being semantics. You can say Warnocks teams have good game management if you like, I'd call it cheating but either way we mean the same thing.

I accept we’re talking about the same thing but with a different viewpoint.

Wasting time, kicking the ball away, making the most of ‘injuries’, everyone does it. Whisper it quietly but we do it as well. 

These aren’t things that the referee fails to see most of the time, you push it as far as you can, and as far as the referee lets you get away with it.

Unpalatable it may be when you’re on the receiving end but I don’t see it as cheating

On 01/11/2017 at 17:51, Major Isewater said:

What they mean is beating them. 

I do agree however that we are much more streetwise than I've seen us for ages . 

We have learnt how to manage games . 

We look so assured it's incredible.

This. 

Been noticing for some time now how we are buying cheap fouls to get out of tight spots or just to close the game down. 

Being ahead a lot helps this mind you!

long may us seeing out games professionally continue. Not cheating. Utilising the laws of the game!

For too long we've tended to be a soft touch - all to easily turned over by opposition teams that use al the tricks in the book.

I wouldn't want us to become a team that is perceived as "cheats", and think that LJ wants us to do well by playing the "right way",  but our chances of being competitive have been greatly improved because we seem to have become a bit more streetwise and tougher to beat.

I tweeted Fulham season ticket holder, sports journalist and boxing pundit Steve Lillis after the game the other night, he seemed impressed.

Steve LillisVerified account @stevelillis

FollowingFollowing @stevelillis
More
Replying to @yardyzor @FulhamFC

Very good. Sussed Fulham totally and quick on counter. Only thing was the guy going down holding his face for red. Looked a gentle shove.

Steve LillisVerified account @stevelillis
FollowingFollowing @stevelillis
More
Replying to @yardyzor @FulhamFC

And defo play off. Best at Fulham this season

10:57 PM - 31 Oct 2017

Archived