IGNORED

Cold Calls from the Club.

WolfOfWestStreet

Yes, in the last two weeks I've received about 8 calls from 'City'. If I don't answer the call they generally don't leave a message, which is annoying, when it goes to voicemail.

On two occasions, I answered and politely asked to be removed from the call list. It took a while but I now haven't had calls for a few days.

Business is business but it does sometimes make it feel that us fans are just a potential source of unwanted further revenue marketing.

13 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

If you go onto your profile on the Bristol Sport website, you can hover over your name and click on personal details. On the next page it has your name, phone number, email address etc. and underneath it will say 'contact me' in red writing. You can click this and de-select 'Yes, you can contact me'.

Thank you for that information.

I would add that to access your profile, you need to click on personal details.

I use the Truecall on my landline and it does a good job - allows me to zap a number, they never get though to me again and I don't even get notified that I've been rung.

Mobiles, I use one of two tactics:
1. "Give me a moment, I'll go get him" and just put the phone down and let them waste their time waiting.
2. I figure out it's a cold call and just put the phone down till the get bored.
Either way, I don't just ring off, I waste their time holding the line open while they work out that I'm wasting their time, even if it's for only 10 seconds, it's worth it.

If you are really pissed off with them, complain to the ICO

19 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

I use the Truecall on my landline and it does a good job - allows me to zap a number, they never get though to me again and I don't even get notified that I've been rung.

1. "Give me a moment, I'll go get him" and just put the phone down and let them waste their time waiting.
2. I figure out it's a cold call and just put the phone down till the get bored.
Either way, I don't just ring off, I waste their time holding the line open while they work out that I'm wasting their time, even if it's for only 10 seconds, it's worth it.

Similar tactics to mine.

Sometimes I pretend I'm taking a 999 call on the other line :whistle:

4 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

I despised the ones that would say you have a problem with your computer, and they're from BT or Microsoft.  They're out to empty your bank account! 

I usually asked them to tell me which account has the problem?  As we have 3 at this address, with 3 separate computers.  That usually did it....If they persisted, I asked them to wait while I go fetch the owner.

When I felt they were getting angry enough I'd go back on the phone and apologise for the delay,  but ask if they could stay on the line just a little longer while we finish tracing the call.

If they gave me abuse....highly likely!.... I'd keep calm and say.....Yep almost got it, just a little longer thanks, oh and by the way, this call is being recorded, so if you could speak a little slower so we get a perfect copy of your voice.........   :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, 42nite said:

I despised the ones that would say you have a problem with your computer, and they're from BT or Microsoft.  They're out to empty your bank account! 

I usually asked them to tell me which account has the problem?  As we have 3 at this address, with 3 separate computers.  That usually did it....If they persisted, I asked them to wait while I go fetch the owner.

When I felt they were getting angry enough I'd go back on the phone and apologise for the delay,  but ask if they could stay on the line just a little longer while we finish tracing the call.

If they gave me abuse....highly likely!.... I'd keep calm and say.....Yep almost got it, just a little longer thanks, oh and by the way, this call is being recorded, so if you could speak a little slower so we get a perfect copy of your voice.........   :thumbsup: 

Must admit that I have engaged with the 'There's something wrong with your windows machine' crew for an hour once (it was fun considering that I use a Mac), in the end I did the Norman Collier 'there's something wrong with my mic routine'. I must admit, they were persistent because they rang me back after they ended the call. Nowadays I let Truecall do its job.

15 hours ago, Nibor said:

That's a really scummy move by the club.  @Mkelly why is this happening?

Did the club record consent to be marketed to by phone for all the people they are phoning?  If not they will be liable for a fine of up to 4% of turnover from May 2018 - that's 7 figures.

It's a shame that Mark has become the first point of call. His official title is Managing Director of Ashton Gate Ltd so this doesn't really fall under his remit.

It's exactly the sort of thing a Supporters Liaison Officer should be on hand to deal with - but for some reason that situation has never been clarified.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's a shame that Mark has become the first point of call. His official title is Managing Director of Ashton Gate Ltd so this doesn't really fall under his remit.

In my opinion it does.  Supporter's Liaison would be for things related to being a supporter like matchday and tickets.  This is nothing to do with being a supporter, it's to do with privacy, data protection and commercial policy.  

Mark Ashton just called offering me a time share deal and Lee Johnson phoned yesterday with some cracking rental property options.

Is the club taking this cold calling too far?

10 minutes ago, Nibor said:

In my opinion it does.  Supporter's Liaison would be for things related to being a supporter like matchday and tickets.  This is nothing to do with being a supporter, it's to do with privacy, data protection and commercial policy.  

I was under the impression he was responsible for things to do with the stadium, ground and matchday experience. I don't think it's his problem really.

A person you should contact or email your concerns to would responsible for their commercial department - Caroline Herbert.

I assume her email is caroline.herbert@bristol-sport.co.uk

According to LinkedIn she's been Chief Commercial Officer at Bristol Sport since April so it'll be her implementing this.

35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I was under the impression he was responsible for things to do with the stadium, ground and matchday experience. I don't think it's his problem really.

A person you should contact or email your concerns to would responsible for their commercial department - Caroline Herbert.

I assume her email is caroline.herbert@bristol-sport.co.uk

According to LinkedIn she's been Chief Commercial Officer at Bristol Sport since April so it'll be her implementing this.

Ah, I missed the Ashton Gate Ltd bit. You are right. I only tagged Mark because he's the only one who responds here. The chances of getting any sense out of Bristol Sport will be minimal. 

On 11/2/2017 at 10:19, MichaelRobartes said:

If you go onto your profile on the Bristol Sport website, you can hover over your name and click on personal details. On the next page it has your name, phone number, email address etc. and underneath it will say 'contact me' in red writing. You can click this and de-select 'Yes, you can contact me'.

From memory though, every time you make a purchase it tries to reset your preferences.  Very naughty.

I have had a few calls even though my preferences clearly state no calls.

42 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Ah, I missed the Ashton Gate Ltd bit. You are right. I only tagged Mark because he's the only one who responds here. The chances of getting any sense out of Bristol Sport will be minimal. 

She's the most relevant person to contact I reckon. Definitely worth an email, I haven't received a call but will get in touch with her if I do. 

Yes credit to Mark for coming on here. Adam does occasionally too but I feel if we had a Supporter's Liaison Officer doing the job that Dave did then we'd be able to tell them.

37 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

From memory though, every time you make a purchase it tries to reset your preferences.  Very naughty.

I have had a few calls even though my preferences clearly state no calls.

That is naughty - they shouldn't be doing that. That won't be accidental either.

Archived