IGNORED

We are second in the Championship..

1bristolcity

22 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Wasn`t it changed from goal average to goal difference too around the same time? It all seems so long ago now!

Yes, goal difference was adopted in the UK in 1975 having been first trialled at the 1970 World Cup Finals.

With goal average, a 3-1 win (goal average 3) would have been better than a 4-2 win (goal average 2) so it's easy to see why it was changed in order to favour more attacking play.

15 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Three points for a win did not lead to more attacking football. A fact unless somehow teams attacked more and managed to statistically score less goals which did occur.

It can therefore be argued that teams attacked more pre rule change because teams that go a goal ahead became less likely to seek another goal, with yellow cards and fouls increasing in protection of the lead = Teams become more negative defending the two points for giving  a goal away v one for a draw.

Excellent point that I hadn't thought of and agree with.

Thinking back to pre 3 points for a win I used to see some cracking games full of attacking football and flair as well as some dour ones. This still occurs now. I might be looking through rose tinted glasses but I reckon back then the games were that bit more entertaining. Two of the greatest national sides I ever seen, albeit on TV, for flair and attractive, fluid play did their biz in the 2pts for a win era that being Brazil 1970 and Holland 1974-78.

On 12/11/2017 at 09:20, 22A said:

You may have a point. In 1976 if it had been three for a win instead of two Bolton, not City would have been promoted to Div 1.

City W19 D15 = 53pts. 3 for a win = 72pts. Bolton W20 D12 =52pts. 3 for a win = 72pts, but the Trotters had a better goal difference than City. WBA would have been 2nd.

3pts for a win was introduced to encourage teams to go for a win rather than settle for a draw.

Someone should tell Mourinho.

13 hours ago, gow2gooseya said:

Not exactly no.

They went hammer and tongs for 78 minutes, then when they found out the score from Roker Park they called a truce in the last 12 minutes. I would hardly call that playing for a draw, and I dont believe anyone who was at that game would either. It was a blood and thunder occasion to put any derby to shame for most of the match 

Well they did play for a draw then? 

47 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Excellent point that I hadn't thought of and agree with.

Thinking back to pre 3 points for a win I used to see some cracking games full of attacking football and flair as well as some dour ones. This still occurs now. I might be looking through rose tinted glasses but I reckon back then the games were that bit more entertaining. Two of the greatest national sides I ever seen, albeit on TV, for flair and attractive, fluid play did their biz in the 2pts for a win era that being Brazil 1970 and Holland 1974-78.

I hadn't thought of it either I thought opposite, but the stats back up the points change leading to less goals scored over decades right across Europe not just England. The theme is unmistakable and also applies to Internationals. There is very little variance and what there is again challenges perceptions - Italian teams don't score less and Spanish teams foul a little more but three points for a win did result in teams attacking less.

On 12/11/2017 at 10:27, 29AR said:

I prefer the devaluing the draw to be honest. It does promote a more attacking game. I think we would simply see all away teams playing 11 behind the ball otherwise. 

There was a suggestion about making 0-0 draws pointless.. kinda like that. 

4 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

How about 3 points for a home win, 4 points for an away win and 1 point for a draw!!!

It works like that in Speedway, but with 2 pts for the away draw. OK in that sport, but in football that would encourage the visitors to park the bus.

On 12/11/2017 at 20:34, gow2gooseya said:

Not exactly no.

They went hammer and tongs for 78 minutes, then when they found out the score from Roker Park they called a truce in the last 12 minutes. I would hardly call that playing for a draw, and I dont believe anyone who was at that game would either. It was a blood and thunder occasion to put any derby to shame for most of the match 

But Coventry called the truce as there was only one team that was going to win it that night.

Archived