IGNORED

The Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City Match Day Thread 17

1 minute ago, Red_Wizard said:

If you think City played can I borrow your glasses? ;)

Both teams were poor, boring, and played negative football. Still, would of took a point before the game.

We were solid at the back. We never looked like conceding.

We shifted shape from 442 to 352, 3511 quickley

We passed the ball under pressure immensely well.

We didn't get behind them as much as we have been doing. But we had chances to win it!

You were watching right?

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Normally an away point at Wednesday is gratefully received. However, we denied them any shots on target but our Achilles heel denied us another three points.

What is our Achilles heel? Our lack of clinical finishing which will be the reason why we won't be challenging for automatic promotion.

I'm not complaining or criticising as we've done a good job and are still maintaining improved form on last season. Perhaps my disappointment shows how far we've come.

Hopefully someone will wheel out the stats to show we are one of the most clinical. I'm fairly sure we are. 

4 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

I think we really did a 'number' on SW today...

Clean sheet, wasn't it 'no shots on target??

Very pro performance with suspension/injury considered,and kept their better players quiet..where they finish this season will show quite how good a point that was..

Spot on. Wednesday have 15 goals in 9 games at home and we didn't give them a single shot on target. They have only lost once at home (wolves I think?). And we have gone there got a point kept a clean sheets and possibly could have nicked it. We can't expect to go into a game like this a rip the opposition apart its just not going to happen.

• Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think we're a bit hard on Mags. He clearly isn't a LB and is not at all confident in the role. He looked better today than the last game and all you can really ask is for progress. He didn't get forward enough and or offer an overlap but actually, apart from one mix up with FF, defensively he was decent. Bailey suffers the same issue in terms of going forward as Mags but people appreciate he is out of position and give him some leeway.....

Don't get me wrong I not saying he is at the level of Bailey or Flint but he is a player who is developing and has potential. When he is at CB he actually looks confident and relaxed on the ball so it's clear that playing LB affects that part of his game.

Agree his best position seems to be LCB. So it is odd he can only get in our side or Iceland's at LB. A position where he is a bit limited. Would hope our coaches can work on his weaknesses so he can play in what is his best position.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

And they would be right as they were watching too!

our (some on here) expectations have increased along with results. But they know they played a good side, by the amount of booing the home fans were doing!

General gist on the radio was 2 good teams, probing and trying to break each other down. 

We shaded the chances and had decent spells as the better team, although neither GK had too much to do. 

Very happy with a point from this game, especially with a clean sheet against such a strong attacking opposition. 

They’ve been in decent form and it’s further evidence of how much better we are this season. Even with 3/4 first team regulars not starting the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

I think we really did a 'number' in SW today...

Clean sheet, wasn't it 'no shots on target??

Very pro performance with suspension/injury considered,and kept their better players quiet..where they finish this season will show quite how good a point that was..

Yes, LJ is teaching them at last how to manage games, you can't be entertaining every game, especially when playing away against a team with players that will punish you, given the chance. I have been a critic of LJ's tactics since he took over, but I really think he has now learnt by his mistakes and the difference is there for all to see this season, our league position proves it.  I am really beginning to believe that City can get into the play offs and who knows the promise land may be possible, I remember the last promotion to the top flight and as i am 72, it would be fantastic for me to see them there again in my lifetime.  Do it for me boys, COYR's

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think we're a bit hard on Mags. He clearly isn't a LB and is not at all confident in the role. He looked better today than the last game and all you can really ask is for progress. He didn't get forward enough and or offer an overlap but actually, apart from one mix up with FF, defensively he was decent. Bailey suffers the same issue in terms of going forward as Mags but people appreciate he is out of position and give him some leeway. + Mags's throws are a potent attacking weapon that cause a huge threat and have led to a couple of goals so far this seasons. There have definitely been games where we have forgiven Flint's shortcomings because he has scored or been a threat up front.

Don't get me wrong I not saying he is at the level of Bailey or Flint but he is a player who is developing and has potential. When he is at CB he actually looks confident and relaxed on the ball so it's clear that playing LB affects that part of his game. I not saying he is amazing but I think some people have got into a mindset of looking for his faults instead of looking at him overall. At worst I'd say he is a useful squad player.

And you are being over generous.

Every start for his national team has been at LB in a back four, so it isn't as if we have asked him to play up front or go in goal, is it?

He is a £2m + international defender and should be judged as one.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Every start for his national team has been at LB in a back four, so it isn't as if we have asked him to play up front or go in goal, is it?

He does seem to play better for Iceland for some reason and his long throws are amazing.

Edited by wendyredredrobin
4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

General gist on the radio was 2 good teams, probing and trying to break each other down. 

We shaded the chances and had decent spells as the better team, although neither GK had too much to do. 

Very happy with a point from this game, especially with a clean sheet against such a strong attacking opposition. 

They’ve been in decent form and it’s further evidence of how much better we are this season. Even with 3/4 first team regulars not starting the game. 

That is the way most saw it IMO

My comment further above pretty much sums it I think.

Flint had two overhead kicks just wide and Djuric may have done better.

They stopped us from hurting them down the flanks, they obviously studied the Fulham game and the cut backs.

Make no mistake Wed are decent. They didn't have much to offer in our pen, but the back four (three at times) were immense

Korey popped up in midfield a lot and was my MOM as he seemed to have two roles, attacking and defending.

We are a good team and they will be happy with their point too I suspect!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Exactly the kind of view I'm getting at. If you look back through any comments I've made about mags I no super fan in fact I'm normally quite critical. I'm not saying he has been amazing or that he hasn't played LB before but it's clearly not his position (and LJ pretty much said as much last season). And today he was fine defensively apart from that one moment. 

If you read what I wrote and think it's an unfair assessment of how he played then I think your not being balanced in your view of him. Most of what I actually wrote is about his faults. 

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Be in no doubt we are a very good side and well deserving of our hard earned point, I love the fact that unlike the last 2 seasons we are not a team that will be bullied, in fact I thought our midfield was terrific today.

This was another strong performance.

Fielding 6 usual poor kicking and 1 mix up with Magnússon, but did little else  wrong.

Smith 8 terrific, strong always available and a great leader.

Flint 8 usual commanding performance.

Baker 8 he is quality.

Magnússon 5 so frustrating far too casual for me.

ODowda 7 all round game is improving by the game, especially his heading.

Brownhill 9 probably his best game for BCFC, MOM.

Pack 8 had one of his better games.

Bryan 7 so mature these days, even had time to rip Magnússon a new one after a casual mistake. I hope his injury is not a bad one.

Reid 7 his workmate is incredible, never gives up.

Taylor 6 to be fair he worked really hard rightly subbed he was tiring.

LJ 8 pretty much spot on all round, I might have brought Leko on, I think there was more space for him in this game than recent games.

Djuric 6 gave them something different to think about, should have done better when put clear.

Patterson 5 had a reasonable chance but took the wrong option.

Agree with most... don't see Pack was an 8 but did tidy up a lot defensively, worth a 7. Reid, for me, would have only been a 6 for woefully missing that sitter of a header, but agree great workrate. Pato was poor, perhaps not surprisingly was off the pace, I'd have said 4.

30 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

In truth,the form we are in, and the squad we have got, everyone knows we really dont have to improve the squad. We are doing great as we are and if we carry on in the same vein then we will be promoted. Why change it/spoil it ?

We do have to improve it. Whilst it's great there is room for improvement and injuries could bite further.