IGNORED

Rooney goal tonight

daored

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Underrated?  Regarded as liverpools best ever player isnt he?  

Wonder quite how high you rate him!

A lot of my family are Scouse and they all rate Dalglish as better than Gerrard, but I honestly think that at his peak, he could've gone in to any team in history and been a lynchpin. I'd have him above any other English central midfielder.

1 hour ago, redmycolour said:

Have a look at frenchred quote on previous page,"greatest player".

So quote me where I said that then.

History has a habit of romanticising what went on while the here and now is quite often ridiculed.

As someone else said every generation had their whipping boys and you can bet that players like, Charlton and Lineker scored against them! I don't get the Rooney bashing he has always made himself available to play for England often when injured, he is our greatest goalscorer ever yet some cant see past the gutter press headlines. Fair play to him I say, if all our so called "top Players" turned up for every game as he did maybe just maybe we would have won something with him in his prime, but hey ho everyone likes a whipping boy!

6 minutes ago, frenchred said:

History has a habit of romanticising what went on while the here and now is quite often ridiculed.

As someone else said every generation had their whipping boys and you can bet that players like, Charlton and Lineker scored against them! I don't get the Rooney bashing he has always made himself available to play for England often when injured, he is our greatest goalscorer ever yet some cant see past the gutter press headlines. Fair play to him I say, if all our so called "top Players" turned up for every game as he did maybe just maybe we would have won something with him in his prime, but hey ho everyone likes a whipping boy!

Mis-read your quote, but Rooney has and never will be England's greatest ever player,hasn't done nothing for us in last 2world cups,overrated, but that's my opinion 

12 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Mis-read your quote, but Rooney has and never will be England's greatest ever player,hasn't done nothing for us in last 2world cups,overrated, but that's my opinion 

And it's an opinion you are welcome and entitled to. For the record I don't think he is England's greatest player either, although I do respect his goalscoring record and the fact he never turned his back on his country. 

4 hours ago, BookEnd said:

Says the biggest shiz stirrer on here apparently because the younger generation enjoy FIFA, you literally make comparisons as to why England are a failure. Never heard of spare time? Although you spend most of it stirring Rubbish. 

Plonker you are, probably like Super you cannot know talent if it bit you in the a$$. But I will pass on mostly what you attempt to put into words, doesn't make sense.

Oh I get it, you are mad at me because I thought that those that play video games would be better off playing the real thing....so defensive, but leave Rooney out of it, he is still probably the best English  player in the country. 

5 hours ago, frenchred said:

Well he hasn’t anyways made himself available, he retired from international football!

The guy had the skill and ability of Ronaldo, it was the dedication and professionalism which let him down.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Well he hasn’t anyways made himself available, he retired from international football!

The guy had the skill and ability of Ronaldo, it was the dedication and professionalism which let him down.

Really the skill of Ronaldo? That's like comparing Marlon pack to Steven Gerrard! He retired at the back end of his career when the England manager made it clear by not picking him he didn't fancy him! But hey let's use it as yet another stick to beat him with!

16 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Really the skill of Ronaldo? That's like comparing Marlon pack to Steven Gerrard! He retired at the back end of his career when the England manager made it clear by not picking him he didn't fancy him! But hey let's use it as yet another stick to beat him with!

Rooney was a better player than Ronaldo when they first joined United in the early 2000’s. He had pace, power, raw ability. 

Ronaldo stayed late after training bulking up, practising his free kicks, kept to a very strict fitness regime and became one of the worlds best players.

Rooney didn’t do any of that. Spent a lot of time drinking, sleeping with old birds and smoking. That’s why he isn’t a world class player. You can have all the natural ability in the world but you need to have the dedication and application. 

22 hours ago, Assassin Reid said:

He's scored the most but wasn't the greatest - and a lot of those goals came against the likes of Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein and Montenegro.

His performances at major tournaments were generally a disappointment. 

7/10 for his international career and that's being a tad generous.

The same drivel repeated by a lot of people. You'll struggle to find a top England goalscorer who didnt score a lot of goals against weaker opposition

He was injured leading into almost every major tournament, its simply unfair to hold that against him like people do. 2004 he was unplayable, and we would have probably won it had he stayed fit

17 minutes ago, Selred said:

Rooney was a better player than Ronaldo when they first joined United in the early 2000’s. He had pace, power, raw ability. 

Ronaldo stayed late after training bulking up, practising his free kicks, kept to a very strict fitness regime and became one of the worlds best players.

Rooney didn’t do any of that. Spent a lot of time drinking, sleeping with old birds and smoking. That’s why he isn’t a world class player. You can have all the natural ability in the world but you need to have the dedication and application. 

As I said before keep believing the gutter press as you obviously take what they say as gospel!

8 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

We can agree to disagree about him as a person.

But seriously, an underrated footballer? Possibly the most overrated player of his generation. 

:blink:

Through most of his career I suspect that the manager of every top side in Europe would have wanted Gerrard, had he been available.

I remember reading Carragher ( I think) saying that if he had wanted, Gerrard could have been Liverpool's best defender, their best full back, their best winger, or their best striker. He was a phenomenal athlete, tough and good in the air. Applying the school playground test, if you were picking teams Gerrard would likely be the player everyone would pick first.

I have little doubt that had he played i the successful sides at Chelsea or Man U he would have gone on to be regarded as one of this country's greatest ever players.

He was, however, one of the golden generation that as a group did underperform for England,

Rooney's record cannot be disputed, but, besides being a bit of a dick head, I think the main reason he is not regarded more highly by many fans is that when he burst on the scene as a teenager he already appeared to have everything  and the footballing world was at his feet. Against those ridiculously high expectations, many will judge that he fell short of fulfilling his full potential.

9 minutes ago, frenchred said:

As I said before keep believing the gutter press as you obviously take what they say as gospel!

It’s a fact Ronaldo doesn’t drink.

On the other hand we all know Rooney does. 

Theres your biggest difference. Why do you believe Rooney hasn’t lived up to his full potential then? (And don’t say he has, as he wouldn’t be playing for mid table Everton now).

11 minutes ago, Selred said:

It’s a fact Ronaldo doesn’t drink.

On the other hand we all know Rooney does. 

Theres your biggest difference. Why do you believe Rooney hasn’t lived up to his full potential then? (And don’t say he has, as he wouldn’t be playing for mid table Everton now).

Ask to see his meds how many cups leagues etc did he win? Probably more than Ronaldo (although that's a guess). He never won anything nationally although I think that's more to do with the"system" than him as an individual. I would imagine it was always a dream of his to finish his career at Everton it is his club after all who he supported as a boy, much the same as when Marcus Stewart came to play for us.

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm struggling to see what was so amazing about that 3rd goal. He chipped it into an open net from a long way out. Why would others not try that? There's no one in goal! Good goal, but not as good as everyone is making out. He's scored plenty better. 

It was not a chip. Took it first time and driven with the laces. Its a harder technique than Adam or Beckham scoring from similar distances.

58 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Ask to see his meds how many cups leagues etc did he win? Probably more than Ronaldo (although that's a guess). He never won anything nationally although I think that's more to do with the"system" than him as an individual. I would imagine it was always a dream of his to finish his career at Everton it is his club after all who he supported as a boy, much the same as when Marcus Stewart came to play for us.

Ronaldo is considered one of the best players of all time. Rooney isn’t. 

Ronaldo is the Champions League highest goal scorer of all time. Rooney isn’t. 

Ronaldo has been the star player at Real Madrid his whole career. Rooney wasn’t at United for the second half of his stay there. 

Was Rooney a great player yes, but his lifestyle let him down and that stopped him being world class. Ronaldo is streets ahead of Rooney. 

Archived