Rooney goal tonight

daored

1 minute ago, El Hombrecito said:
great
ɡreɪt/
adjective
superlative adjective: greatest
  1. 1.
    of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above average.

He has scored the greatest amount of goals. He is therefore England's greatest ever goal scorer.

In this narrow definition yes.

Otherwise, he's been a total flop at every championship event on the world stage. Oh yes, and he's a complete banker.

1 minute ago, El Hombrecito said:
great
ɡreɪt/
adjective
superlative adjective: greatest
  1. 1.
    of an extent, amount, or intensity considerably above average.

He has scored the greatest amount of goals. He is therefore England's greatest ever goal scorer.

I see you've coveniently omitted 1.2 below . . . 

of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above average.

I agree that whilst he may have bagged the highest volume of goals by any single player, he is FAR from our greatest goal scorer ever. 

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Do you think Linekar and charlton were scoring only against the likes of Brazil and Germany?

Can't speak for Charlton but when Lineker was playing for England, the qualifying groups in Europe consisted mainly of five teams which resulted in less games at this stage, plus there was far less dross to compete against.

Also, Lineker scored 10 goals in the only two World Cup tournaments he featured in which is quite an achievement.

If Bas Savage had an international career like Rooney I would have given him 10/10 but this is a player who had the world at his feet. Apart from scoring mainly against mediocre/inferior opposition, I didn't see much else from Rooney in an England shirt. He spent a lot of time nonchalantly passing the ball around to teammates like it was a training match and not taking the game by the scruff of the neck. A player of his talent should have done much more IMO.

Even though they didn't score as many I would say Beardsley, Shearer and Sheringham had a better international career than Rooney.

7 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Otherwise, he's been a total flop at every championship event on the world stage. Oh yes, and he's a complete banker.

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I see you've coveniently omitted 1.2 below . . . 

of ability, quality, or eminence considerably above average.

I agree that whilst he may have bagged the highest volume of goals by any single player, he is FAR from our greatest goal scorer ever. 

The quote was that he's the greatest ever goalscorer. He is. That's an indisputable fact.

Whether he performs well at major tournaments or is a nice guy has absolutely no baring on that fact.

43 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

In terms of technique Rooneys was on a totally different level to sterlings

The trouble with those goals same with Alonso for Liverpool they are down to poor goalkeeping. Not doubting its a good goal.

3 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Leave it out, even you.

Says the biggest shiz stirrer on here apparently because the younger generation enjoy FIFA, you literally make comparisons as to why England are a failure. Never heard of spare time? Although you spend most of it stirring Rubbish. 

Fabulous technique by Rooney -drilling the ball with the boot laces rather than a more safe but less powerful in step kick -  an instinctive and skillful strike from the guy.

Also don't get the Rooney bashers - yeah he has issues and demons but on his day he can be a joy to watch. And as for not showing up at tournaments - well he hardly alone in the England team in that regard is he!!

2 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

He was arguably the best player at Euro 2004 before getting injured, and he has also scored in four separate tournaments, which very few players can say they’ve done (and yes I know you said ‘world stage’ and Euro 2004 was one technically a ‘European stage’ before anyone picks me up on that!). 

2006 and 2010 - unquestionably disappointing but didn’t look fit to me in either tournament. 

10 hours ago, pillred said:

lets just say that's November goal of the month sorted.

Not so sure about that. Think his second goal of the three may beat it. Played the ball square to the right, from the edge of Everton's own penalty area, and two passes later he was on the edge of the opposition's six yard box to slot the ball in. Ran like a young un!

24 minutes ago, Red Tel said:

Not so sure about that. Think his second goal of the three may beat it. Played the ball square to the right, from the edge of Everton's own penalty area, and two passes later he was on the edge of the opposition's six yard box to slot the ball in. Ran like a young un!

great goal and sterlings, but it's the goals scored from inside their own half that usually get the vote.

20 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Nobody in this thread is claiming he’s the greatest ever player. Just pointing out that it might be considered harsh to say he ‘did nothing’ when he was involved in both goals England scored in Brazil. 

Have a look at frenchred quote on previous page,"greatest player".

7 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Have a look at frenchred quote on previous page,"greatest player".

@frenchred said greatest goalscorer. Which is 100% correct. Not one single person on here has said he's England's greatest player. 

I've never understood the hatred for Rooney, when somebody like Steven Gerrard (who was equally awful in major tournaments, and let's be honest is a bit of a dick) seems loved by all.

5 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

@frenchred said greatest goalscorer. Which is 100% correct. Not one single person on here has said he's England's greatest player. 

I've never understood the hatred for Rooney, when somebody like Steven Gerrard (who was equally awful in major tournaments, and let's be honest is a bit of a dick) seems loved by all.

Most of the time, Gerrard seems like a thoroughly nice bloke. What have I missed?

21 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Yep Rooney doesn't even come close to England's greasy ever player.......Carlton palmer

Archived