IGNORED

We'll be in the premiership next season

no_merde

12 hours ago, no_merde said:

It's been a while since I posted on here. All the negativity around Johnson last season put me off and I just couldn't deal with the abuse etc.

Firstly, I really hope that a new generation of fans are realising what the Johnson family have given this club. It's almost a decade ago that Lee's father delivered the best result for this club in its modern history and here we are again with his son taking us up to the promise land.

I have absolutely no doubt now that we will be playing premiership football next season.

We, the fans, just need to start to believe

Well done Lee - take us up :clap:

Oh. there was me thinking the team had to get in the top 2, or win the play-offs.

8 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

If I could choose, I would not go up this season - I would like to go up next season, after two rollicking good years in the Championship. As others have said before on here, it's the journey, rather than the destination that might well prove to be more enjoyable and satisfying than being cannon-fodder for the objectionable overseas oligarch clubs. But - shame on me - there's my lack of belief laid plain before all OTIB - that should we ever return to the top, we would struggle badly and not last very long. Old habits die hard.......

I definitely get this sentiment and if we went up this year it might be too soon for the squad we have. But the difference prem money and parachute payments make are too much to wait for. If we were talking about the jump from league 1 to the championship it might make sense because SL money mitigates the difference in prize money/revenue. But the the prem money is so high now we need to get there asap. We would be better doing what Burnley did - go up, strengthen come back down then go back up again more prepared and financially able to challenge the clubs around us. 

There are a number of players we could go for right now who would strengthen the team but we are immediately ruled out because of wages. Without the Prem revenue there are so many teams we cannot compete with on wages and still comply with FFP. 

We need to aim for Cardiff’s no 2 spot. (Wolves are uncatchable in my view). I keep hoping that Cardiff will get found out and others do what we did to them. But they keep on winning with only 30 odd percent possession each match (which reflects how they play). We can catch them! But so can Villa of course.

We need to keep all our players in Jan, get Famara back and firing in the new year, and have no more long term injuries. We certainly can’t afford to lose Baker or Reid for example.

Absolutely ridiculous for the OP to claim that he or she has “absolutely no doubt we will be playing Premiership (sic) football next season...”

It’s December - the first week in December....we’ve had a great start but there is such a long way to go....and I’m not a big fan of these previously quiet posters rushing back on to praise LJ to the high heavens now we sit in third place. Our Head Coach is undeniably doing a good job so far this season...but to also wax lyrical about the ‘Johnson family’ as though it is some incredible dynasty that has provided sustained and incredible success for Bristol City is a bit over the top...one promotion between them from the third tier in around seven years at the club combined...

I’m not knocking GJ’s achievement with us, he got us promoted so he was successful...but I think the OP should just calm down a bit, keep his or her feet on the ground and just enjoy this season week by week without making grandiose predictions in early December....I hope your opening post on this thread doesn’t come back to bite you on the backside in May, but it might...

If we don't make the top 6 after this incredible start then I'm just gonna pack it in as if we don't get a top 6 finish then we never will.

What encourages me is we have players to come back from injury and new signings to come in.

If we are still in this position come the 1st of January then I will firmly believe we are in a promotion fight.

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Very early doors - not even half the way there yet this season. And realistically there is only one automatic slot available with Wolves winning the league at a canter. 

Still - better times than usual so enjoy and you never know. 

Disagree about Wolves - I think the truth is any of the current top 12 can finish in any position.

I have watched Wolves a few times on tele and they are strong but far from unbeatable.

Birmingham prior to the stupid sending off were dominating the second half and should have got a draw. I can see better teams taking points off them and closing the gap.  A couple of injuries or a cold winter may see a different team and set of results - be interesting to see if the gap narrows between now and the new year - if it doesn’t then yes - I will concur the rest are playing for one spot.

Really struggle to believe Cardiff will be in the top 6 let alone auto-promotion - probably because I just don’t like them !!

4 hours ago, Neo said:

Disagree about Wolves - I think the truth is any of the current top 12 can finish in any position.

I have watched Wolves a few times on tele and they are strong but far from unbeatable.

Birmingham prior to the stupid sending off were dominating the second half and should have got a draw. I can see better teams taking points off them and closing the gap.  A couple of injuries or a cold winter may see a different team and set of results - be interesting to see if the gap narrows between now and the new year - if it doesn’t then yes - I will concur the rest are playing for one spot.

Really struggle to believe Cardiff will be in the top 6 let alone auto-promotion - probably because I just don’t like them !!

Cardiff are very strong whether anyone likes it or not. Not the best squad but difficult to beat and will be up there sadly.

As for Wolves - by far the best side we have played and a cut above the rest. Monday is exactly the kind of game why they will win the league - didn't play well 2nd half but still won and no shots on target for Birmingham. For us to come away with a 3-3 there was because we fought hard and got a fair bit of luck - only team I wouldn't like to play again. If you look at how many points they are on - they could have an average next 26 games and go up automatically. In truth they will probably do better than average. Obviously they are beatable but they won't get beat enough for us to worry about. They also can probably spend a fair bit in January too compared to most sides if required (not that I think they will require it).

You honestly think Sheffield Wednesday in 12th can catch 20 points on Wolves? Never going to happen.

46 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Obviously they are beatable but they won't get beat enough for us to worry about.

Precisely, well said.  For us to catch and overtake Wolves we need to score 11 points more than they do over the next 26 games.

11/26 = 0.42 points per game. We need to, on average, score 0.42 ppg more than Wolves do.  over the first 20 matches Wolves have scored at 2.35 ppg whilst we are on 1.85. Therefore they have so far outscored us by 0.5 ppg. 

Put it another way - say Wolves drop back to our form and score at 1.85 ppg until the end of the season.  They'll then finish on 95 points.  Anyone think we can get to 96? Means scoring 59 points over 26 matches.

No way are we catching them.

PS Sheff Wed would need an even more outrageous swing in form.

53 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Precisely, well said.  For us to catch and overtake Wolves we need to score 11 points more than they do over the next 26 games.

11/26 = 0.42 points per game. We need to, on average, score 0.42 ppg more than Wolves do.  over the first 20 matches Wolves have scored at 2.35 ppg whilst we are on 1.85. Therefore they have so far outscored us by 0.5 ppg. 

Put it another way - say Wolves drop back to our form and score at 1.85 ppg until the end of the season.  They'll then finish on 95 points.  Anyone think we can get to 96? Means scoring 59 points over 26 matches.

No way are we catching them.

PS Sheff Wed would need an even more outrageous swing in form.

Even Wolves getting 1.5 ppg for rest of the season (not even Playff-Off form) would mean 86 and likely automatic.

If we are in the same position or in and around come January, we cant afford to not risk throwing at least a few le cassoulet coking utensils at this campaign.

I think its not against the realms of possibility and reasonability, that we may well have our best chance for a long time in the future to get to the premier league. Yet again; Parachute payments, plus sky money will be against us and more worryingly, the lure of prem football may well be too much for the likes of our more well thought of players, it really is going to be tough to keep this squad together should we not do it, or at the least reach the play offs and show that with improvement, during the summer we can impress and improve our chances of success, anything less will lead to mediocrity/consolidation, whatever you want to label it.

Last few years the second place team has finished with a record something like W26 D10 L10 (to give 88 points).  We are currently on W10 D7 L3.  Can we reach that standard(ish) finish? Maybe.

But we basically need an up turn in our long-term form coupled with a down turn in Cardiff's form plus no other team around us experiencing the same up turn as us. 

Possible yes, likely no. I suspect we will finish some where between 3rd and 6th.

On 05/12/2017 at 11:19, red panda said:

Simply because threads like this often come back to bite us in the arse

I’m with @no_merde 

So much we’ve now got 4 season tickets & 2 half season tickets. All in a row. Right at the front.

Not for Man Utd this month. Oh no. Man Utd and the rest of them next season ;)

And if it goes tits up I’ll know that me and the kids were right behind them. From the beginning little Lee was sat next to Lansdown at The Valley I’ve believed and been excited.

And my arse is ready to be bitten! :blink:

5 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Last few years the second place team has finished with a record something like W26 D10 L10 (to give 88 points).  We are currently on W10 D7 L3.  Can we reach that standard(ish) finish? Maybe.

But we basically need an up turn in our long-term form coupled with a down turn in Cardiff's form plus no other team around us experiencing the same up turn as us. 

Possible yes, likely no. I suspect we will finish some where between 3rd and 6th.

Sounds like we need to start turning draws into wins.

6 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

If we are in the same position or in and around come January, we cant afford to not risk throwing at least a few le cassoulet coking utensils at this campaign.

I think its not against the realms of possibility and reasonability, that we may well have our best chance for a long time in the future to get to the premier league. Yet again; Parachute payments, plus sky money will be against us and more worryingly, the lure of prem football may well be too much for the likes of our more well thought of players, it really is going to be tough to keep this squad together should we not do it, or at the least reach the play offs and show that with improvement, during the summer we can impress and improve our chances of success, anything less will lead to mediocrity/consolidation, whatever you want to label it.

Think we are pretty much guaranteed to be in play off position come Jan. Teams chasing down top teams normally need a game per point behind to bridge gap and, as we are currently 5 points clear of 7th with 5 games left this year then, unless we have a complete mare, we will be in a top 6 spot.

On 05/12/2017 at 08:48, no_merde said:

It's been a while since I posted on here. All the negativity around Johnson last season put me off and I just couldn't deal with the abuse etc.

Firstly, I really hope that a new generation of fans are realising what the Johnson family have given this club. It's almost a decade ago that Lee's father delivered the best result for this club in its modern history and here we are again with his son taking us up to the promise land.

I have absolutely no doubt now that we will be playing premiership football next season.

We, the fans, just need to start to believe

Well done Lee - take us up :clap:

OK the manager and his team are/is doing well now, and we are all pleased but this must be the most sickly post I've seen on this forum, and that is saying something

We won't go up, but we won't go down either. There will be far bigger spenders in the January window than us. We might possibly make the playoffs, but this is City that we are talking about and we have realistic ambitions @no_merde unlike those totally obsessed and delusional Gasheads down the road who only ever talk of the playoffs and how massive they are compared to every other club in whatever division they are in. The mere thought of us going up would make them sick to core and it is highly likely that some of their obsessed fan base would come on this forum and start acting totally delusional in an attempt to make us look as bad as them. We don't fall for crap like that on here though as we are a realistic fan base.

Oh how little faith you had when I originally posted this, but I'm telling you we're basically on track. The determination we showed on Sat to hold Forest at bay in the second half is what makes a promotion season. The Johnson's are taking us into the premiership next season and there's nothing that those on here who dislike them can do about it.

COYR :clap::clap:

On 06/12/2017 at 15:19, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I’m with @no_merde 

So much we’ve now got 4 season tickets & 2 half season tickets. All in a row. Right at the front.

Not for Man Utd this month. Oh no. Man Utd and the rest of them next season ;)

And if it goes tits up I’ll know that me and the kids were right behind them. From the beginning little Lee was sat next to Lansdown at The Valley I’ve believed and been excited.

And my arse is ready to be bitten! :blink:

count me out

Archived