IGNORED

Plastic Manchester say next to you on Wednesday.

MC RISK77

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Can't believe anyone here is suggesting it is acceptable send opposition fans 'down the Dolman stairs' etc. Frightening.

Ah it's a bit of trope, sure it's what happened once v Leeds and you know it's like a TV trope isn't it?

On the other hand, if there ARE away fans in home ends and they make themselves known, rightly or wrongly, trouble would ensue.

My first visit to Ashton Gate was as a 9 year old Manchester fan in 1977. I was in the enclosure and quite happily cheered for the away team.

I don't think I was a plastic, just had family who weren't particularly interested in football and so nobody to show me the way.

My allegiance soon shifted, no reason why others can't this time around.

Whilst I am all for keeping the plastics away, having a handful of them ‘falling down the Dolman stairs’ is absolutely the last thing we need live on TV. 

The TV audience for this will be absolutely enormous and I think anyone who is involved in violence - especially when there’s a good chance of it making it onto global TV - can expect to not be coming back to AG any time soon. 

Sat next to an away fan? Go and talk to a steward and don’t take matters into your own hands as you may well regret it. 

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

My first visit to Ashton Gate was as a 9 year old Manchester fan in 1977. I was in the enclosure and quite happily cheered for the away team.

I don't think I was a plastic, just had family who weren't particularly interested in football and so nobody to show me the way.

My allegiance soon shifted, no reason why others can't this time around.

I don't think the concept of the plastic fan really applied in 1970s. Most kids at school in Keynsham at that time supported 1st division teams, not many, if any supported BCFC. 

I would guess that the only plastics that blatantly cheer for Man U will be kids who don't get the danger and stupidity of doing so. I hope nobody stoops so low as to strike a kid - they would hardly be heard anyway because the vast majority of fans will be genuine City fans - our gate is now around 20k for league games so there are only 7k more due at this one..

Most adult plastics (if there are any) will stay quiet and will know to keep their mouths shut.

I've been in with opposition fans on many occasion - Preston - and Swindon, where it would be REALLY dangerous to give yourself away. If everyone is sensible then there will be no trouble.

I actually took a mate of mine who is a Leeds fan to one of our home games a few seasons back when they stuffed us and we had 2 sent off - I was more nervous about him being there than I ever was for myself being rumbled in the opposition camp!!!!!!

14 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

There will be some randomers sat next to us in S21, basically because three of the regulars STHs forgot to buy their tickets in the first period of sale. :blink: 

They will be members so I don't expect any plastics at all. Welcome to S21, people! I hope you enjoy the match. 

Forgot to buy their tickets for a cup quarter final..?!! 

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Forgot to buy their tickets for a cup quarter final..?!! 

Yes, I know. One thought he might not be able to make it due to work, to be fair. The other, just forgot and didn't buy it until the Monday of the 2nd period so missed out on getting their seat…

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't think the concept of the plastic fan really applied in 1970s. Most kids at school in Keynsham at that time supported 1st division teams, not many, if any supported BCFC. 

Luckily back then one of those 1st division teams also happened to be City.

Who and what are the definitions of 'plastic' to which this forum has over used against our Mancunian friends? Surely there are genuine Man U fans who will attend this game and may find there way into the home end in order to do so but are they really 'plastic'? A fan that goes out there way to attend a championship ground on a cold (wet?)Wednesday winter night? Who may have followed his/her beloved team when they used to live in Manchester but now finds themselves as an ex-pat working / living in Bristol etc? No longer a season ticket holder but are they really a plastic? To me the real plastics are declared Man U fans who have never ever seen 'their team' other then on telly and only started supporting them when they actually started winning things in the last 20 years. I doubt this type of fan would know how to get hold of a ticket let alone want to leave the warmth of their front room.

Maybe we will be in the fortunate position one day of having more fans than seats. Then all those 'plastic' City fans up and down the country, desperate as they can no longer get a ticket for home games, will pop up in the Gillingham's home end in the cup and we can be tarred with the same brush.;)

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it’s exactly what these plastic scumbags need, a good slap, IF they don’t tow the line. 

They must think that football is all fancy images, touchscreen analysis and friendly banter, because that’s what they are shown on TV. 

If some plastic Manc is sat near me quietly, respectful of their surroundings, then just let them get on with it, before crawling back under their stone. If they think we are “only Bristol City” and give it the big ‘in, then there should be a very lenient line taken online dishing out a quick route down the Dolman steps. 

Imho. 

All I could picture when reading this was the Harry Enfield character in the pub getting angrier and angrier "Oy Plastic". :clap:

I wonder what the brief will be to the stewards on Wednesday?

Will they be told to eject anyone in the home end who is visibly a Man Utd fan? Or will it be a case of let it go until when/if trouble (or the risk of trouble) ensues because of it?

I don't think anyone should take matters into their own hands and you'd think people would be sensible enough to 'sit on their hands' but the stewards are going to have to be on the ball for this one.

52 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Does anyone know if Sir Alex will be in attendance on Wednesday? He might have been a subborn old bugger but he was the most successful British manager in history!  

Probably still carries a grudge regarding the Anglo-Scottish cup from 1977-78. A huge void in his trophy cabinet.

As long as we don't have an incident similar to Birmingham last season we should be fine, where a group of travelling fans celebrated their goal by the Heineken Lounge. Was annoyed to see that initially the stewards were willing to let them continue watching the game until plenty of City fans got up to go and confront them. I hope that was discussed in detail by the club as it was very close to causing a serious incident- even if the dirty brummies would have deserved it!

15 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

As long as we don't have an incident similar to Birmingham last season we should be fine, where a group of travelling fans celebrated their goal by the Heineken Lounge. Was annoyed to see that initially the stewards were willing to let them continue watching the game until plenty of City fans got up to go and confront them. I hope that was discussed in detail by the club as it was very close to causing a serious incident- even if the dirty brummies would have deserved it!

Well, according to MA all the hospitality is sold out for the game. expect the (Upper/Middle) Lower Lansdown and the Heineken Lounge area to be full of Man Utd fans. Plus a sprinkling in the corporate boxes of regional or national companies. Also expect the Safety Officer not to anticipate any negative reaction among the home fans to said situation.

Archived