IGNORED

Plastic Manchester say next to you on Wednesday.

MC RISK77

2 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

As long as we don't have an incident similar to Birmingham last season we should be fine, where a group of travelling fans celebrated their goal by the Heineken Lounge. Was annoyed to see that initially the stewards were willing to let them continue watching the game until plenty of City fans got up to go and confront them. I hope that was discussed in detail by the club as it was very close to causing a serious incident- even if the dirty brummies would have deserved it!

Not singling you out, @Newquay-Red, just happened yours is the most recent post, but I am of an age where I find it incredulous that people are actually arsed about what football team someone else supports (whether plastic, granite, MDF, Silestone or otherwise), let alone, to quote other posters think that they deserve a slap.

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Not singling you out, @Newquay-Red, just happened yours is the most recent post, but I am of an age where I find it incredulous that people are actually arsed about what football team someone else supports (whether plastic, granite, MDF, Silestone or otherwise), let alone, to quote other posters think that they deserve a slap.

That’s the spirit that made Britain “great”...! 

On what planet would a rival fan who goes in amongst the wrong support (remember, there IS segregation!) and plays up or takes the piss, not running the likely risk of getting a slap..? 

Nobody should be singled out for respectfully watching the match, but going in and being a gobshite could easily result in regretting it. 

4 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Probably still carries a grudge regarding the Anglo-Scottish cup from 1977-78. A huge void in his trophy cabinet.

I went to both legs of that final, a few of us hired a car and drove up to Paisley.

And what a day/night it was.

We arrived at the ground late afternoon and thought we would just have a quick look around before finding a pub nearby for a few drinks.

No such luck.

We were spotted by a few locals - I am not sure whether it was our accents or red and white scarves that gave us away - and we just couldn't escape.

Dragged in to the St Mirren Supporters Club where they opened the bar early and refused to take our money as they weren't officially open; stayed there until just before kick-off; dragged in again after the match where, once again, our English Pound Notes were refused and, finally, were then guided to a local 'carry-out' where we experienced a dish I assume is only available in deepest Glasgow - Haggis and Chips! 

Unfortunately, at the return leg at Ashton Gate it took some extremely hard persuasion to gain entry to the Supporters Club bar for our new friends as they weren't members!

I sometimes wonder if this (or any) forum is written by people born and brought up in one place, who have never moved.

Personally I moved to Somerset initially in 1968 and as a Leeds fan, started to watch City, just because they were close. My allegiance gradually changed. This is how we get new fans.

I’m sure there are plenty of Northerners, genuine Man Utd fans, who now live and work round here. They may visit Old Trafford and not Ashton Gate, but have found a way to get hold of a ticket somehow, in the home areas. I certainly know of one - the ticket came from a Bristol Rugby fan who isn’t going to the game.

Personally I’d rather the ticket went to a local Man U fan, who may decide to come back, than a Bristolian rugby fan, who probably won’t.

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I sometimes wonder if this (or any) forum is written by people born and brought up in one place, who have never moved.

Personally I moved to Somerset initially in 1968 and as a Leeds fan, started to watch City, just because they were close. My allegiance gradually changed. This is how we get new fans.

I’m sure there are plenty of Northerners, genuine Man Utd fans, who now live and work round here. They may visit Old Trafford and not Ashton Gate, but have found a way to get hold of a ticket somehow, in the home areas. I certainly know of one - the ticket came from a Bristol Rugby fan who isn’t going to the game.

Personally I’d rather the ticket went to a local Man U fan, who may decide to come back, than a Bristolian rugby fan, who probably won’t.

But, out of interest, where does your allegiance lie when City play Leeds?

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

But, out of interest, where does your allegiance lie when City play Leeds?

I was 12 then and I’m 61 now! I gave up on Leeds in the 70s , certainly by the time City were in the First Division and I was a season ticket holder. I’d only lived in Yorkshire for two years anyway.

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I was 12 then and I’m 61 now! I gave up on Leeds in the 70s , certainly by the time City were in the First Division and I was a season ticket holder. I’d only lived in Yorkshire for two years anyway.

OK. I had assumed a born and bred Leeds fan - I have lived in France for many years now, but could never switch allegiance.

If City went down to to the bottom division again, I might rather watch XYZ team in the Premier League, but would still be a City 'supporter'.

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I would typically agree with you but these Brum guys explicitly knew they were beating the home support and were even riling them on to come over and confront them. I have been to many games myself as a neutral, and I am sure had all the Exeter fans known I was a City fan, they wouldn't be very pleased. Have never had to go behind enemy lines before but if I had to do so I would remain respectful and not draw attention. I watched the West Brom game sitting next to my Baggie mate and when they scored he wasn't an idiot at all, just gave me a nudge and a smile. That is the way to do it, and had the situation been reversed I would have taken that approach too. Football, especially in this country, is just too tribal and meaningful to some to be a complete idiot like those fans were being; I hope they got a ban for inciting the crowd in the way that they did.

14 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

OK. I had assumed a born and bred Leeds fan - I have lived in France for many years now, but could never switch allegiance.

If City went down to to the bottom division again, I might rather watch XYZ team in the Premier League, but would still be a City 'supporter'.

I think it depends on “time of life” though to my mind, many true football fans who move for work will go to watch a local team rather than become armchair fans. That can lead to a change of allegiance, by accident or design.  It will vary from individual to individual. And geography can mean no conflict of interest- if you leave the country!

11 hours ago, hantsred said:

Who and what are the definitions of 'plastic' to which this forum has over used against our Mancunian friends? Surely there are genuine Man U fans who will attend this game and may find there way into the home end in order to do so but are they really 'plastic'? A fan that goes out there way to attend a championship ground on a cold (wet?)Wednesday winter night? Who may have followed his/her beloved team when they used to live in Manchester but now finds themselves as an ex-pat working / living in Bristol etc? No longer a season ticket holder but are they really a plastic? To me the real plastics are declared Man U fans who have never ever seen 'their team' other then on telly and only started supporting them when they actually started winning things in the last 20 years. I doubt this type of fan would know how to get hold of a ticket let alone want to leave the warmth of their front room.

Maybe we will be in the fortunate position one day of having more fans than seats. Then all those 'plastic' City fans up and down the country, desperate as they can no longer get a ticket for home games, will pop up in the Gillingham's home end in the cup and we can be tarred with the same brush.;)

Agreed.

To me, if one is an actual Manc, moved down here, work, family, whatever- not saying it's a good thing they get in ahead of a City fan, not at all but chances are they aren't a plastic.

@Leveller I do wonder about that. Lots of people who have stayed in same place? Some maybe. My experience is different personally, opposite in some ways.

Most people I know down here, incomers, lived elsewhere, moved away and came back- whatever. This is why people have more than one side- I know a guy Bournemouth fan, but moved tow South Bristol- now supports City as his local team thanks in no small part to me. Indeed, his mate also is a Newcastle fan- lives South Bristol, supports City.. However they still retain an allegiance to their first side, as they would.

17 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

They'll be watching Home Alone.

We all know this is just an excuse. There is no film and instead they will all be watching our game on a giant screen cheering on United because the thought of us beating one of the world's best teams must be driving them crazy.

13 hours ago, KingLear said:

I wonder what the brief will be to the stewards on Wednesday?

Will they be told to eject anyone in the home end who is visibly a Man Utd fan? Or will it be a case of let it go until when/if trouble (or the risk of trouble) ensues because of it?

I don't think anyone should take matters into their own hands and you'd think people would be sensible enough to 'sit on their hands' but the stewards are going to have to be on the ball for this one.

The issue is that the ones who have likely got hold of a ticket have most likely never been to a live game in their lives. They will not know how to behave and I fully expect them to rock up in their United kits and cheer them on.

Whilst Ashton Gate isn't the Den it can be very intimidating especially on a night like this and I'd seriously worry for anyone who did decide to show their colours. Not that I condone it but it is what it is.

8 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Well, according to MA all the hospitality is sold out for the game. expect the (Upper/Middle) Lower Lansdown and the Heineken Lounge area to be full of Man Utd fans. Plus a sprinkling in the corporate boxes of regional or national companies. Also expect the Safety Officer not to anticipate any negative reaction among the home fans to said situation.

I'm in S19 and have seen a few issues before in there. I have no issue with away fans being in there but what I have found is these people are often people who think they are powerful because they have money and they often get wrecked. A few times I have seen them standing outside the entrance having a fag and they just act like Dick heads. 

When you concede a goal your pretty Pissed off, to then have away fans around you acting the big I am is kinda annoying. Add on the fact that stewards seldom get involved it's easy to see why home fans then feel they have to take matters into their own hands. 

I can almost guarantee there will be issues in s19 on Wed,  mainly because of the sheer inability of the stewards to deal with a hostile situation.

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

We all know this is just an excuse. There is no film and instead they will all be watching our game on a giant screen cheering on United because the thought of us beating one of the world's best teams must be driving them crazy.

The issue is that the ones who have likely got hold of a ticket have most likely never been to a live game in their lives. They will not know how to behave and I fully expect them to rock up in their United kits and cheer them on.

Whilst Ashton Gate isn't the Den it can be very intimidating especially on a night like this and I'd seriously worry for anyone who did decide to show their colours. Not that I condone it but it is what it is.

I'm in S19 and have seen a few issues before in there. I have no issue with away fans being in there but what I have found is these people are often people who think they are powerful because they have money and they often get wrecked. A few times I have seen them standing outside the entrance having a fag and they just act like Dick heads. 

When you concede a goal your pretty Pissed off, to then have away fans around you acting the big I am is kinda annoying. Add on the fact that stewards seldom get involved it's easy to see why home fans then feel they have to take matters into their own hands. 

I can almost guarantee there will be issues in s19 on Wed,  mainly because of the sheer inability of the stewards to deal with a hostile situation.

I bet they won't have as many stewards in S19 as they did in the opposite corner for Cardiff!!

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

To me, if one is an actual Manc, moved down here, work, family, whatever- not saying it's a good thing they get in ahead of a City fan, not at all but chances are they aren't a plastic.

@Leveller I do wonder about that. Lots of people who have stayed in same place? Some maybe. My experience is different personally, opposite in some ways.

Most people I know down here, incomers, lived elsewhere, moved away and came back- whatever. This is why people have more than one side- I know a guy Bournemouth fan, but moved tow South Bristol- now supports City as his local team thanks in no small part to me. Indeed, his mate also is a Newcastle fan- lives South Bristol, supports City.. However they still retain an allegiance to their first side, as they would.

I'm in agreement with you. I was trying to challenge the attitude that any local supporting Man U must be a plastic fan who watches on TV and has never been to a match.

In my experience, people who have never moved and are loyal just to their boyhood club, tend not to understand the lives of people (now a large proportion) who have moved about a fair bit. They may be the ones attacking local Man U fans.

My main point is that Man U fans living locally may well have moved into the Bristol area but supported Man U all their lives. They may also go to Old Trafford when they can. These people will have tried to find a way to get a ticket, most likely through South West contacts - friends, colleagues and neighbours. And there is the possibility they will latch on to City, though initially just as a "second" club.

The hate towards any Man U fan who happens to wangle a ticket is a bit unnecessary and wouldn't be understood by the general public outside a football forum.

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I'm in agreement with you. I was trying to challenge the attitude that any local supporting Man U must be a plastic fan who watches on TV and has never been to a match.

In my experience, people who have never moved and are loyal just to their boyhood club, tend not to understand the lives of people (now a large proportion) who have moved about a fair bit. They may be the ones attacking local Man U fans.

My main point is that Man U fans living locally may well have moved into the Bristol area but supported Man U all their lives. They may also go to Old Trafford when they can. These people will have tried to find a way to get a ticket, most likely through South West contacts - friends, colleagues and neighbours. And there is the possibility they will latch on to City, though initially just as a "second" club.

The hate towards any Man U fan who happens to wangle a ticket is a bit unnecessary and wouldn't be understood by the general public outside a football forum.

Agreed, unfortunately I won’t be there but my accent is not Bristolian at all and mostly Manc, by the sounds of it watching on Sky probably the safest option!

To any season ticket holders who bought tickets for any true plastic Man Utd fans at the expense of genuine City fans watching the game then SHAME ON YOU.

For any plastics reading this forum if "We" or "Us" as you call them in whatever accent go on to win the competition there will be no open top bus tour around Bristol parading the trophy and you won't be seeing any European giants at Ashton Gate so you won't be able to scab a ticket then.

Instead you will have to experience your synthetic joy for all of 2-3 minutes before it cuts to the ad breaks.

Can't stand plastics and any parents who allow their kids to become plastics too.

On 12/19/2017 at 12:29, Leveller said:

Tend to agree with some of this. Indeed, I was agreeing with your point.

Local supporting Manchester? Harder to say, some will, a lot won't. IMO.

5 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

To any season ticket holders who bought tickets for any true plastic Man Utd fans at the expense of genuine City fans watching the game then SHAME ON YOU.

For any plastics reading this forum if "We" or "Us" as you call them in whatever accent go on to win the competition there will be no open top bus tour around Bristol parading the trophy and you won't be seeing any European giants at Ashton Gate so you won't be able to scab a ticket then.

Instead you will have to experience your synthetic joy for all of 2-3 minutes before it cuts to the ad breaks.

Can't stand plastics and any parents who allow their kids to become plastics too.

How would a season ticket holder buy tickets for ‘true plastic’ Man Utd fans?

The only seat a season ticket holder can buy is his or her own. 

I'm not sure if i class myself as a plastic City or Plastic United fan. My current financial and work situation means I can't afford time or money to get to games for either side. From the age of 6 I've supported both teams. A paying supporter fortunate enough to watch both teams regularly home and away throughout the years. Been at the games where both teams have suffered their biggest heartache in recent years (Hull Playoff and Barca in Rome). I'm looking forward to watching the game on the telly tonight. Hopefully its a great advert for Bristol City.

1 hour ago, erndogz said:

I'm not sure if i class myself as a plastic City or Plastic United fan. My current financial and work situation means I can't afford time or money to get to games for either side. From the age of 6 I've supported both teams. A paying supporter fortunate enough to watch both teams regularly home and away throughout the years. Been at the games where both teams have suffered their biggest heartache in recent years (Hull Playoff and Barca in Rome). I'm looking forward to watching the game on the telly tonight. Hopefully its a great advert for Bristol City.

Plastics have never been and never will go to watch their beloved team. They are just glory hunters. 

Archived