IGNORED

How can one play against one's boyhood club?

cidered abroad

It's something I have never understood that pro footballers and even rugby coaches, can play against their boyhood club or country.

Dean Holden still has a season ticket for Man U. How does Cole Skuse feel playing at Ashton Gate against the club he supported as a boy?

I asked Chris Garland this once on the morning before he played at City for Leicester. He just shrugged his shoulders and looked a bit miserable.

I've followed City now for nearly seventy years but if I had been good enough to play league football, I believe that I would have refused to play against City rather than contribute to their defeat. What do others think and if it applies to you, how do/did you cope with it? 

It’s all about being a professional. 

I’m sure that seeing their bank balance comforts them during any moment of sentimental doubt! 

Don’t forget that to them, it’s a job. A very well rewarded job. They never/rarely get the chance to watch “their team”, so I doubt many of them feel THAT connected. 

I used to “support” Liverpool as a young boy (pre City) now I couldn’t give a stuff about them. I love City like I expect the players love their job. 

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It's something I have never understood that pro footballers and even rugby coaches, can play against their boyhood club or country.

Dean Holden still has a season ticket for Man U. How does Cole Skuse feel playing at Ashton Gate against the club he supported as a boy?

I asked Chris Garland this once on the morning before he played at City for Leicester. He just shrugged his shoulders and looked a bit miserable.

I've followed City now for nearly seventy years but if I had been good enough to play league football, I believe that I would have refused to play against City rather than contribute to their defeat. What do others think and if it applies to you, how do/did you cope with it? 

£15k a week helps!

Easily - one of my mates is a rabid Hearts fan but he happily played against them during his pro career with Hibs, Raith, Dunfermline etc. He said he always tried his very best when facing them....I think to reach pro level you have to have a certain competitive streak in you, and that includes giving 100% whoever you are facing...

The majority of professional footballers have been playing football most of their lives. Although, they may have attended games when very young, or through affiliation with their parents, most would have been playing on Saturdays, and wouldn't have been able to attend regular games. Imo...that does make a difference. I played the same way, always Saturdays. Hardly got to watch City on a regular basis until my 30's. Although a fan of City and always followed with a passion...however, I do find I think differently to many fans who have always watched and not played so much. I've noticed the same with other people who played regularly as well. The playing mentality takes over from the following mentality. It goes to another level when it's your job like the pros. It takes over and you have to be professional, especially in front of your peers.

I think other factors kick in - the camaraderie of being part of a group and wanting to help and support your team mates. I think in any job, unless it is a Hellish place to work, you feel a sense of loyalty and commitment and a dislike or desire to out-do your rivals even if you'd lose all attachment the moment you left. If you take someone like Aden Flint, we know full well he is not really a City supporter but he commits to the cause to such a degree that I doubt anyone in Ashton Gate is more passionate about us doing well than he does when he is playing on the field. But we all know - and I don't begrudge him this one bit - if he left and played against us with another team he would be every bit as committed in getting them the win.

I think, if you are a professional. ultimately professional pride and commitment to your team-mates motivates more than an attachment to your childhood team. Plus you must know if you are playing the team you supported as a kid then your friends and family are watching and you'll want to do well in front of them, especially if they'll take the piss if you lose...

54 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Imagine how Marcus Stewart must have felt.... how on earth could you play for them and contribute to Rovers winning a derby.

With Marcus, I believe it was because Rovers offered him the chance at becoming pro whilst City didn't. He had trials at both clubs afaik. 

Imagine if it had gone the other way... 

Archived