IGNORED

Luke Steele

BCFC@Frome

For the first time in a very long time we have 2 very good keepers. Manchester didnt give him alot to do tonight but he did everything that was asked. Unfortunate with the deflection for their goal (which was never a free kick) but saved us on several occasions. Every player was on top form tonight, and staying at home in an attempt to protect my broken ankle appears to have been unsuccessful.

A lot of excellent saves tonight and a magnificent performance. I feel the only thing you can count against him is he doesn't tend to hold onto his saves and pushes a lot out (didn't really today but in previous rounds). But he's certainly quality and nothing to worry about should Frankie be unavailable. 

4 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Strangely on the mancs forum they seemed to think he looked  a weakness.

He certainly didn't look like the shaky keeper on the pitch tonight, guess LJ knew Romero could be rattled if the players gave him a hard time, as the team clearly had a tactic.

United's keeper was a Grade A clown. Everytime he gathered the ball near our players he would try to make out they were fouling him. Nothing wrong with Flints goal. He threw it into Flint, at no point did Flint move towards the ball. Then there was the United player who handballed it when the keeper was trying it on with Taylor.

8 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Strangely on the mancs forum they seemed to think he looked  a weakness.

He certainly didn't look like the shaky keeper on the pitch tonight, guess LJ knew Romero could be rattled if the players gave him a hard time, as the team clearly had a tactic.

He was shocking... but it was a definite tactic to press him and get on his nerves. And it worked.

Blinding performance and not for the first time.

I love Frankie but surely Luke is knocking on the door now?

Both can make worldy saves but Luke seems to have better distribution.Frankie has done little wrong this season imo yet Luke has done everything right in his very limited game time.

Great to have two such accomplished keepers.Unfair to drop Frankie yet Luke deserves a run in the team.

The thing is, and this is a great position to be in, you can't drop Frankie on current form. He's part of that back 5, and justifiably currently number 1. Steele has been phenomenal in the Utd and Palace games though, and if nothing else is showing that should Fieldings form drop (which is possible), he is there and is ready to come in for a long time. Also unlike previous seasons when Fieldings been dropped for a while, if it happens again, I don't think he will be getting back in the team for a while.

Great position to be in you're right - we currently have two very good number 1s.

Steele has to start against Man City though. It would be cruel for him not to play.

34 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

On his performances so far that wouldn't worry me at all.

Absolutely. For the first time, I think in my time of watching City, we have two goalkeepers that would get into most teams first 11. To challenge at the higher levels, you can't just rely on one good number 1. We now have two.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Twice before in my time following City, we've had two very good keepers at the same time.

Tony Cook and Bob Anderson in 1955 and Ray Cashley and John Shaw in the First Division days.

It's an essential requirement for any successful team.

There were the two Keith's , Waugh  and Elvis who were both very good keepers .

Luke made a few saves that may have won us the game last night.  He has been impressive in the earlier rounds too.

His extra height and distribution mean that he should get a chance for me.

Frankie's height makes it difficult to go for crosses and his indicision with back passes and long balls is a worry for me.

Lukes distribution is both speedy and accurate.

Who would want to make any changes to that team?

Archived