IGNORED

Luke Freeman

hoxton casual

8 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Good at set pieces always has been, useless in open play always has been.

No place for him in our squad and good riddance.

Blimey, how quickly the heroes from our title winning team are forgotten, cast aside or dismissed as ‘useless’ - no wonder people around the country regard Bristolians as being rather detached and difficult to bond with....the squad of which Freeman was a big part gave us a trophy as champions of a division...he was far from ‘useless’ - how many titles have we won in your lifetime? You must have watched serious shedloads of useless players then....

3 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Can't get Sherry here now that Marks and Sparks have closed Tone,  looked everywhere and could only get Fino Sherry. Such a shame, I love a dark Sherry at Christmas. Never mind, Port is still available.

Any port in a storm.

8 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I wouldn't say he was useless in open play I always felt he tried to over do it though, beat a man then go and beat him again.

This is close, but not quite right: poor Luke would try to beat a man (with a step-over from the 1980s, a la Walshie, or Glenn Roeder) but fail, then try to beat the same man again (with another pointless step over) and fail to fool, or hoodwink, a second time. Then pass it 4 yards to Marlon Pack.

I remember one game, under Cotts, in the Championship, where Luke tried his stepover on the left in front of the South Stand, failed to shift the defender, then sliced his cross into the crowd. We all cringed, not knowing where to look.

He didn't wave goodbye when he cleared off to qrp, did he?

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

This is close, but not quite right: poor Luke would try to beat a man (with a step-over from the 1980s, a la Walshie, or Glenn Roeder) but fail, then try to beat the same man again (with another pointless step over) and fail to fool, or hoodwink, a second time. Then pass it 4 yards to Marlon Pack.

I remember one game, under Cotts, in the Championship, where Luke tried his stepover on the left in front of the South Stand, failed to shift the defender, then sliced his cross into the crowd. We all cringed, not knowing where to look.

He didn't wave goodbye when he cleared off to qrp, did he?

Only just noticed the what I assume is a Flaming Lips reference in your Location. Tune.

That's bang on though. I don't know if I've ever seen him beat his man.

22 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I agree he'd only be a bit part player were he here now, but many seem to forget how good he was in our promotion season playing in behind the front two. Didn't he have over 15 assists that season? 

Decent player for me, and one that Cotts seemed to get the best out of. 

He was better than Dele Alli that season

23 hours ago, 29AR said:

I had no idea that happened. Definitely a lack of class and far worse than harsh. 

I booed him, I boo Tomlin and Kodjia.

I clap Ayling, Little, Wilbs.

no problem with him wanting to go, but keeping the club and fans guessing for months with what he was going to do shows a total lack of respect, reap what you sow.

I wanted him to stay at the time, now happy he's gone 

Freeman was superb in L1 but struggled with us in the Championship. At the time of his leaving he had contributed just 1 goal (albeit a spectacular effort against Ipswich) and just 1 assist, as he couldn’t replicate his corner delivery fro the previous season. If he’s found his form again, good luck to him, but it was the right time to move on. 

4 hours ago, Lee0 said:

I booed him, I boo Tomlin and Kodjia.

I clap Ayling, Little, Wilbs.

no problem with him wanting to go, but keeping the club and fans guessing for months with what he was going to do shows a total lack of respect, reap what you sow.

I wanted him to stay at the time, now happy he's gone 

Did we not do the exact same to Aaron Wilbraham... umm-ing and ah-ing over whether to give him a deal this summer?

Should not forget that we let him (Freeman) get to the last year of his deal because we were unsure over him, I don't think at all in that scenario he owes us any more than 'I'll give it due consideration too - just like you did waiting until my contract was expiring to give me a new one'. It's not like we let Flint, Pack and others get to the final year for instance. 

On 24/12/2017 at 13:04, hoxton casual said:

He looked absolutely class yesterday and caused us reall problems. Loved him for City and still think he is an exciting footballer. I still regret he went. Never understood why?

He had improved in his second season in the championship. I'm surprised he stayed after his first. he was pretty woeful for most of the season, missing sitters against pne and 2 against Blackburn that cost points. Looks to have improved further at rangers. A confidence player, who needs to beat a man early on or gets done every time. 

4 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

if say, we got promoted and players like smith/pack/bryan etc dont make the grade we boo them as well??? I just got get it, bit sad really,

We've had years of crud and the good ones still get shite, doesnt make sense.

I don't understand why some of the players  get booed and others get applauded. Matt smith got clapped onto the field by our fans, but baldock, who got the golden boot for us before he left, got booed a lot when we met Brighton. Why? He always seemed to try his best for us and can't be described as lazy or an ego. 

15 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

I don't understand why some of the players  get booed and others get applauded. Matt smith got clapped onto the field by our fans, but baldock, who got the golden boot for us before he left, got booed a lot when we met Brighton. Why? He always seemed to try his best for us and can't be described as lazy or an ego. 

we're just idiots on the whole.

Personally, I thought LF flattered to deceive in the Championship. He looks easy on the eye with the ball at his feet but had an awful tendency to beat his man and then run into a cul-de-sac instead of getting his head up. There's a reason the vast majority of his assists are from dead-ball situations.

Would I boo him? Nah, but he will never be a player that I will remember fondly in years to come.

Great City player who gave me some fantastic moments watching him as a natural and exciting dribbler. I see his weakness of end product, but always seemed a decent chap who gave me great memories. Every member of that double winning squad will always have a special place for me. Shame he gets slated by some.

32 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Its not love Tony, its respect for people who have done well for our club and an analysis of his current level of performance. 

Here's the thing, I think some people mistake abuse/banter aimed at former players as hatred, whereas I suspect most players view it as back handed respect because the intention of the fans is to try to put said player off of his game, had I been there at the game I would have joined in with the abuse/banter, because that's football and that's the way it's always been long ago before prawn sandwiches, total respect during games is for legends IMHO and I accept that legend status is more of an individual thing.

Had I met him after the game I would have shaken his hand and said "hey you played well, best of luck for the future".

7 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Here's the thing, I think some people mistake abuse/banter aimed at former players as hatred, whereas I suspect most players view it as back handed respect because the intention of the fans is to try to put said player off of his game, had I been there at the game I would have joined in with the abuse/banter, because that's football and that's the way it's always been long ago before prawn sandwiches, total respect during games is for legends IMHO and I accept that legend status is more of an individual thing.

Had I met him after the game I would have shaken his hand and said "hey you played well, best of luck for the future".

I think that`s it really. You know what a player is capable of so try and get under his skin.

There are a few exceptions that I personally would never abuse though, Albert, Jon Stead and Wilbs for instance.

On 25/12/2017 at 19:14, 29AR said:

Did we not do the exact same to Aaron Wilbraham... umm-ing and ah-ing over whether to give him a deal this summer?

Should not forget that we let him (Freeman) get to the last year of his deal because we were unsure over him, I don't think at all in that scenario he owes us any more than 'I'll give it due consideration too - just like you did waiting until my contract was expiring to give me a new one'. It's not like we let Flint, Pack and others get to the final year for instance. 

You're more forgiving than me.....I'll continue to boo him 

On 24/12/2017 at 13:52, Kingswoodactor said:

I agree he'd only be a bit part player were he here now, but many seem to forget how good he was in our promotion season playing in behind the front two. Didn't he have over 15 assists that season? 

Decent player for me, and one that Cotts seemed to get the best out of. 

I agree. Luke Freeman was the reason I started supporting BC, and although I will always support them now, I hate the stupid animosity towards him . He was just a young guy trying to get on in his career. I like seeing him back at the Gate, but still cheer City.

I think the animosity toward LF is purely down to the refusal to play, not the refusal to sign a new deal.  Yes, he was great in our promotion year.  Unplayable at times, but it took well over a season at this level to show that he might be anything more than an outstanding league one player.  In the Championship he probably beat himself more than he beat an opponent when wearing a City shirt.  

If he wanted to move on, that's fine, but to refuse to play at a time when we needed to utilise the squad is inexcusable and is the reason he gets the stick he does.  

Exactly the same situation with Kodjia.  Refuse to do what they're paid to do?  Screw 'em.

On 24/12/2017 at 15:30, tinman85 said:

It was pretty poor I have to say. Loud boo's and when he got subbed with chants against him (won't repeat them on here). Poor way to treat someone yet Matt Smith for scoring a few goals in two months is lauded like a hero. 

Both yesterday’s news 

Archived