IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

Mr X

Was not at the game but watched live. He got quick a bit of stick by some on this forum, but I thought he did the defensive side of the job well and looked composed. He didn't link up well Joe which limited our attacking down the LHS, but you'd think that sort of understanding would come from playing more games.

Couple of times in first half he was quite exposed, one time 1 on 1, but he didn't dive in, stayed up and saw off the danger. Much promise for me.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

For those at the match yesterday how did he play? Good enough to step up to the first XI with all our injuries? 

To me he looked exactly like what he is ; a talented youngster who needs matches.

He " gave away " the free kick that they converted and generally looked a little lost.

He overplayed when he should just have eased himself in doing the simple stuff .

He will learn from this .

I haven’t seen the qpr game yet but I did see his performance vs Watford and to me he looked technically good, but defensively excellent. I seem to recall that hardly a thing got past him and Watford had very little success in getting crosses in from his side. 

I’m very excited by him from a defensive standpoint and eager to see what he can do from a ball-playing and attacking point of view. As a pure defensive fullback though, I think he’s the beans. 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

To me he looked exactly like what he is ; a talented youngster who needs matches.

He " gave away " the free kick that they converted and generally looked a little lost.

He overplayed when he should just have eased himself in doing the simple stuff .

Balderdash... Joe Bryan gave away the free kick (and picked up a booking) from which they scored.

Bryan and Reid got blooded early and benefited from some nice game time. As long as we are willing to risk the youngsters and give them time there is no reason they can't emulate the same success. The problem is, the higher/more success we have will probably correlate with less willingness to give youngsters that chance.

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Balderdash... Joe Bryan gave away the free kick (and picked up a booking) from which they scored.

Yeah, I thought Joe was a little rash in that challenge and it was frustrating they scored from it. Maybe due to a little tiredness from Wednesday. 

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Might be worthwhile trying to get a league one loan til the end of the season if we can bring someone in during January

Magnússon can play left back, if we get right back cover it could mean Wright then being able to cover centre back if we lost Baker/Flint. A league one loan for Kelly could be good but I'm sure LJ wants him to continue learning to play our way so would have to be local like Plymouth where he could train a day a week with us still. 

I thought he looks the part, just nervous yesterday. Physically he's where he needs to be, it's just a question of giving him game time to get the experience he obviously needs. However, as someone else has mentioned will our upcoming games be too important to give him that time?

25 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Yes he did but I think you will find it was in attempting to clear up a mistake by Kelly.

The game totally changed with the first 2 substitutions, Pack gave us the midfield superiority that we were lacking from the first hour and Magnússon allowed not only Bryan to have the confidence to venture further forward instead sticking close to Kelly and we looked far more convincing defensively, even when Flint was thrown upfront.

Kelly and indeed Vyner are obviously great and exciting talents and LJ giving them an hour here and there is commendable but as Vyner proved at Reading and Kelly yesterday neither are ready to fully step up yet, that is my assessment.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

For those at the match yesterday how did he play? Good enough to step up to the first XI with all our injuries? 

Unfortunately he looked off the pace. Struggled to pass the ball, lost his man on a number of occasions. Taking Kelly and Leko off won us a point. I'm sure will come good but in my view needs a loan before he is ready for Champ football. 

51 minutes ago, shelts said:

I think this kid is class . Needs game time . Would prefer him to Maggers every time 

Wow, well it's an opinion for sure but as I said it cannot be argued enough defensively and offensively, we improved when Magnússon and Pack came on, it allowed Bryan and Smith to venture forward, it allowed us push Flint up front and it coincided with us controlling the game for the first time all afternoon.

He will be class but yesterday IMO was not one of those days, I haven't been Magnússon's biggest fan but he is improving with every game.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Agreed, Bobby and Joe both had a spell with Plymouth and that definitely worked for them!  

Really can't see what Bobby's loan spell in League Two at Plymouth, (where he was used as a defensive midfielder) has to do with his emergence 3 years later as a top Championship forward.

That is all down to LJ for switching his position, something no-one else could see and to Bobby himself, I think..

It's a big step for our youngsters to play in the Championship and you can't judge them on one appearance. I remember when Joe Bryan first came into the side under McInnes and he was like a schoolboy playing in a man's game, was just shrugged aside by the opposition but look at him now. Taylor Moore also struggled and has been given a loan, if we have the numbers in the squad then Kelly needs to do the same.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Spot on Major. He will definitely get there but maybe yesterday was a bit early for the lad. I thought JB covered him a fair bit and we lost something going forward because of it.

Given time, he'll be very good but he isn't ready for a sustained run in the side yet IMHO. I'm another advocate of a possible loan option.

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Was not at the game but watched live. He got quick a bit of stick by some on this forum, but I thought he did the defensive side of the job well and looked composed. He didn't link up well Joe which limited our attacking down the LHS, but you'd think that sort of understanding would come from playing more games.

Couple of times in first half he was quite exposed, one time 1 on 1, but he didn't dive in, stayed up and saw off the danger. Much promise for me.

Exactly.  He didn't get beaten when players ran at him. Defensively he hardly put a foot wrong, but in possession he was poor. A bit like Jack Connor.

I did not see the game yesterday but I am a big believer in LK. Same with Zak Vyner. Really smooth athletes who look like they glide across the pitch rather than run. They both look the part but now is a time to be patient with them both. 

I think Pisano was brought in to give Zak more time to develop around the first team. He has had his loan spell and now is integrating into the first team to be ready for next season. 

I believe the same with Lloyd Kelly. Think he was meant to be fast tracked with Mags leaving or being left out. Mags must have upped his game though in training and with us overacheiving, Kelly has suffered a bit for game time because of this. With Mags coming back into the fold, it would be good for Kelly to get a loan and it does not matter whether L2 or L1. He just needs minutes in senior football. Something I think we wanted to give him more of but circumstances changed. 

Any minutes these two get for us this season are a bonus. We now have a style of play which is why they did not go out on loan in the first place. They need to learn our style of where to be and when. Seems from comments LK knew where to be defensively but probably got caught out by the pace of the game that you just can’t learn without playing. 

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Wow, well it's an opinion for sure but as I said it cannot be argued enough defensively and offensively, we improved when Magnússon and Pack came on, it allowed Bryan and Smith to venture forward, it allowed us push Flint up front and it coincided with us controlling the game for the first time all afternoon.

He will be class but yesterday IMO was not one of those days, I haven't been Magnússon's biggest fan but he is improving with every game.

Not disagreeing with your assessment of QPR . Maggers not that highly rated by LJ as he was nearly off in the transfer window, maybe Lloyd would’ve got his game time at left back . Not a lover of a centre half playing full back , never liked Carey doing it, Bailey is the exception and Maggers ain’t no Wright .The boys time will come I tell thee 

1 hour ago, shelts said:

Not disagreeing with your assessment of QPR . Maggers not that highly rated by LJ as he was nearly off in the transfer window, maybe Lloyd would’ve got his game time at left back . Not a lover of a centre half playing full back , never liked Carey doing it, Bailey is the exception and Maggers ain’t no Wright .The boys time will come I tell thee 

Think that' harsh on magners.  He' really improved the last few games.  Been very solid and no longer looks out of place.  Clearly a confidence player. Remember he is Iceland international lb after all!

7 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Yes, I was really disappointed with Kelly.  I have seen him play far better than that. I think the fact it was his first league start got to him. He looked very nervous and it was an error filled performance. 

Magnússon looked a level above him when he came on. We looked far more defensively sound and he lost the ball less too. 

As others have said, he did pretty well when doing our usual backs-to-the-wall defending, but always seemed to have a heavy first touch. QPR were pressing very heavily because of our tiredness, and he didn't cope too well with that when in possession. Still showed more promise than Leko though.

Archived