IGNORED

Matty Taylor

Shtanley

34 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Agree wholeheartedly. Him and Reid are interchangeable with Diedhou/Djuric. They are no partnership and never will be. 

I think that is it, they aren’t good together.  Sometimes partnerships are unlikely but work, sometimes they look perfect on paper but don’t materialise on the pitch.  Sometimes they click for a period of games, and then go quiet.

I think those that were critical of Diedhiou’s early performances saw his ‘partnership’ skills before he got injured...plus goals.  I know @Shtanley was a fan of him...that’s how I got onto him too.

Taylor has had his moments (mainly in the cup fortunately / unfortunately).  He has some qualities, but if I were LJ (i’m Not) I’d play Woodrow over Taylor, at least over the next few weeks whilst the Double-D’s are getting back to fitness.

Opinions, opinions!

I’ve always thought that Taylor was a skilful player who brought something to the team, and would eventually get the a break - e g a goal scored via a deflection off his bum - that would start a bit of a goal scoring spree. Unfortunately, after all the games he has played, he just doesn’t look like a Championship standard goal scorer. He had one clear chance today with a free header, but like so many previous chances he’s had, it didn’t result in a goal. He also doesn’t seem to have the ability to create a chance for himself out of nothing - e g Patterson’s goal today. At league one level he had more time on the ball, and played against defenders of lesser ability, so he could score regularly. Some players can make the step up to a higher standard, but I don’t think he is one of them. That said, his chip to Smith to set up the winner against Manchester has more than repaid his £300k transfer 

We came alive with quick interchanges after he went off. He spends too much time with his back to goal for my liking and is not as good as others at short accurate pass and move. Thought Woodrow fitted in better today, but against hull away it was the other way round. Woodrow was poor that day and we improved loads when Taylor came on, so maybe a lot depends on circumstances. 

Taylor struggled today. He’s a frustrating player - his movement is intelligent and he shows flashes of quality like that superb pass for Korey’s winner against Manchester, but today he made mistakes with what seemed like simple passes. Him and Reid didn’t seem to click at all. LJ did the right thing in bringing him off for Woodrow.

11 minutes ago, Offside said:

Taylor struggled today. He’s a frustrating player - his movement is intelligent and he shows flashes of quality like that superb pass for Korey’s winner against Manchester, but today he made mistakes with what seemed like simple passes. Him and Reid didn’t seem to click at all. LJ did the right thing in bringing him off for Woodrow.

I was disappointed in him at QPR, that was a shocking miss for me. But i'll be honest, i thought he played a decent part in our win today. Defo better than Taylor (on the day) and did well. Well played Cauley.

And LJ  excellent subs AGAIN

As with most players they need a constant run of games. Mags was getting pelters a few weeks back. Now he’s looking the part. IMO . As for Taylor I personally think he’s a decent player. And with more game time we could see this. Yes he has missed a few . But as with any player they need game time. Two blokes behind me today. Kelly’s shit waste of space. Unbelievable 

9 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Interesting performance from him today. He’s the player we’re focusing on in tomorrow’s podcast with the exiled robin. 

Off on 62’ which was no surprise to be honest, he was coming short and finding gaps as normal but I thought he lost the ball poorly a few times which killed some of our promising attacks. He’s got quick feet but you wonder if he can play at the speed the rest of the squad are clearly comfortable at. Is Taylor cut out for a top championship squad? Some people reckon he’s going out on loan next month.

Woodrow did slightly better but I think even those who think we bought a Senegalese dud can’t wait to have Diedhiou back. Thoughts on MT’s performance?

Not trying to start an argument but who thought diedhou is a Senegalese dud, I think he was starting to show his promise until his injury 

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on, 27 league games now, 2 goals, none in over 10 months.

The guy who said last week he is Liam Robinson wasn't joking.

Engvall is eligible to play for us from New Years Day, if he isn't a better option then we really should question what we have paid well in excess of a million for..

Spot on. We either play him or admit an almighty FU and sell him

9 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I’ve always thought that Taylor was a skilful player who brought something to the team, and would eventually get the a break - e g a goal scored via a deflection off his bum - that would start a bit of a goal scoring spree. Unfortunately, after all the games he has played, he just doesn’t look like a Championship standard goal scorer. He had one clear chance today with a free header, but like so many previous chances he’s had, it didn’t result in a goal. He also doesn’t seem to have the ability to create a chance for himself out of nothing - e g Patterson’s goal today. At league one level he had more time on the ball, and played against defenders of lesser ability, so he could score regularly. Some players can make the step up to a higher standard, but I don’t think he is one of them. That said, his chip to Smith to set up the winner against Manchester has more than repaid his £300k transfer 

Can I just remind people that one of our best players this season, who is attracting a lot of interest for his consistent performances and all round play,  struggled terribly when he made the step up from League One to Championship and was written off by many. Yes it’s a good thing Joe Bryan was given the time to shine.*

*Granted I’m not sure in a promotion push we can afford to give Taylor the same time, but with our striking options I guess we are limited to what we can do anyway. 

Taylor has scored more than twice, Derby, Stoke and Palacs, all immediately come to mind, He is often only a sub and gets 15-20 mins. He also has a few assists to his name.

Also Taylor seems to be better when playing against better sides. He’s a good footballing brain and for me plays an identical role to Bobby Reid, only Reid has had a lot more game time.

He also spent an early part of the season injured. Matty Taylor isn’t about goals he will score, but his link up play going forwards is very good and he has excellent vision. 

I personally feel he is the creative midfielder that this team is missing and looking for but we’re not really in a position to gamble and play him in that role to test it out. 

I would certainly try it against Watford though. I would play him and Josh in the middle of midfield, and have Garita and Engvall up top for that game.

Archived