IGNORED

The Bristol City v Wolverhampton Wanderers Match Day Thread 25

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

The rules would disagree.

The referee must take the following into consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
  • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
  • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

He didn't move his hand towards the ball and the ball was unexpected.  It's clear cut.

He knew he was going to cross it from where he was, it wasn't unexpected, so he put his arm up ready to block it, the rules suggest it is a penalty!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The rules would disagree.

He didn't move his hand towards the ball and the ball was unexpected.  It's clear cut.

If it was clear cut then people would not be arguing about it. I respect your view a d you make good arguments but application of any rules will always be subjective. Some refs would have given a penalty for that. Today’s Ref didn’t. I probably phrased it badly saying he “got it wrong” as it comes down to interpretation but it certainly is not clear cut...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cider_boy said:

He knew he was going to cross it from where he was, it wasn't unexpected, so he put his arm up ready to block it, the rules suggest it is a penalty!

Nope.  You have to have your hands somewhere, you're not required to put them behind your back.  There's no predicting where the ball is going.  It's only an offence if he moves his hands onto the ball after it's hit and he clearly didn't have time to.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

If it was clear cut then people would not be arguing about it. I respect your view a d you make good arguments but application of any rules will always be subjective. Some refs would have given a penalty for that. Today’s Ref didn’t. I probably phrased it badly saying he “got it wrong” as it comes down to interpretation but it certainly is not clear cut...

I suggest if you were to review that with ten referees, ten would say he got it right.  They might not all come to the same conclusion in the split second you have to make it, but in hindsight I am sure they would.  It pretty much mirrors some of the video training I've seen.

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think it was more Fielding's decision to come rushing out that threw it away myself.

If I play football I play goalie, I myself wouldnt have done what Fielding did, I'd have held back a little and THEN rush inside the box in the hope of a forced mistake... If they scored okay, we'd still have 11 men on the field.

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Nope.  You have to have your hands somewhere, you're not required to put them behind your back.  There's no predicting where the ball is going.  It's only an offence if he moves his hands onto the ball after it's hit and he clearly didn't have time to.

No, but the rules you quoted say the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement. If a defender stands with his hands above his head before a cross is hit, that can still mean it is an infringement. The suggestion is that in this case this is effectively what he did, he expected a cross, so had his arm above his head ready to block it.

I'm not necessarily arguing either way in this case - was his arm where it naturally would be when jumping to try to head the ball - if so it's OK, if his arm is in an unnatural position, then it's a penalty

Edited by Cider_boy
add
5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That's a stupid question,you would want to lose against the bottom teams and not your promotion rivals 

I think it needs a little perspective and to be honest I think wolves don't count from here on in.

I'm really not bothered by the result.

Naive? Maybe, but not unexpected given the style and attitude that Lee has created in giving us one of the most entertaining seasons for 25 years.

I would suggest a 'pass' has been earned this season and hopefully most fans will be rational enough to give it to him.

Don't forgot we ate threadbare as it is competitively.

On to Villa.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Yes it's disappointing but massive overreaction on here . We've just been edged out by a team with champions league players! Think how far we've come in a few months!

Quite right. We've come a hell of a long way this season. We dropped one point in injury time. This is what we've been dishing out all season, in particular, to Man Utd. If you dish it out you have to learn to take it too.

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

You should go on the Wolves forums now. They seriously think they're Barcelona - 'the game was never in doubt' etc. They bought the league. And even then, we matched them

They need to get in touch with @Deepdaleismychurch, he thinks that we think we're Real Madrid!  And he'll be trolling any minute now....

1 minute ago, Squire Dastardly said:

Quite right. We've come a hell of a long way this season. We dropped one point in injury time. This is what we've been dishing out all season, in particular, to Man Utd. If you dish it out you have to learn to take it too.

Dropped either 2 points or 3 points depending on the way you look at it... Not 1 point.

• Confused 1
4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think it needs a little perspective and to be honest I think wolves don't count from here on in.

I'm really not bothered by the result.

Naive? Maybe, but not unexpected given the style and attitude that Lee has created in giving us one of the most entertaining seasons for 25 years.

I would suggest a 'pass' has been earned this season and hopefully most fans will be rational enough to give it to him.

Don't forgot we ate threadbare as it is competitively.

On to Villa.

Exactly my point,nobody is saying we should pack it in but when people ask stupid questions it makes my piss boil 

1 minute ago, Cider_boy said:

No, but the rules you quoted say the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement. If a defender stands with his hands above his head before a cross is hit, that can still mean it is an infringement. The suggestion is that in this case this is effectively what he did, he expected a cross, so had his arm above his head ready to block it.

Why do you think the "position" consideration is phrased in the opposite way to the others?  Basically a player can put his hands wherever he likes, it's not a deliberate handball unless he moves them towards the ball after it is struck, or he has long enough to expect the ball to strike them and doesn't move them.  It's an awful rule because it asks the referee to guess someone's intent, which is impossible.  

I'd much prefer they got rid of the word deliberate and gave the handball every time it strikes anyone except the keeper below the shoulder.

31 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Agh, So that's the feeling of losing 2-1 in the 93rd minute.

Gutted. 

Huge error from Pack. Multiple opportunities to clear it. 

That Cavaleiro changed it all. We had nothing to counter him. Can't work out whether he was absolutely class for half an hour or if we just didn't do enough to stop him. 

It was a stonewall pen for me early in the second half. If that's not handball with his arm in the air I don't know what is. 

One loss to the runaway leaders shouldn't really change our season other than to help us identify the fine margins that it takes to win matches like that. Namely having some Portuguese wizards. 

We've been brutally punished for the 2 errors we made, which is the sign of a good side in Wolves. LJ called it well before the game. Clinical. 

Unlucky City. Still plenty to be positive about. We go again. 

That, in nutshell, illustrates why Wolves are walking this league.

They can bring a player like  Cavaliero on as a sub  when pretty well every team could not afford him as a starter.

Edited by downendcity
24 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really don't think many refs would have gave that as a handball mate as we have seen it countless times down the years and nothing been given