IGNORED

What we are up against today...

spudski

...one of the most influential men in football.

Jorge Mendes...a football agent with immense influence. 'Brother' and agent to Mourinho and Ronaldo. Agent to the majority of Wolves team and manager. Wolves owners also have a share in his business.

The guy is a giant in football and a big mover and shaker.

Most football fans won't know about him...but he is massive...and the reason Wolves are doing so well.

He is the owner of Gestifute... the top ranked football agency in the world. Looking to make 'stakes' in various football clubs. Milan being one.

I'm not sure whether it's 'ethical' ...but in business you need to  find people you can work with, trust, and who have influence and contacts, plus good knowledge and advice.

Maybe you have to 'cross their palm with silver' along the way...

If anyone is interested... a good article here from the summer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/19/jorge-mendes-wolves-influence-chinese-owners-signings

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gestifute/beraterfirma/berater/413

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Jorge Mendes...a football agent with immense influence. 'Brother' and agent to Mourinho and Ronaldo. Agent to the majority of Wolves team and manager. Wolves owners also have a share in his business.

Most football fans won't know about him...but he is massive...and the reason Wolves are doing so well.

He is the owner of Gestifute... the top ranked football agency in the world. Looking to make 'stakes' in various football clubs. Milan being one.

I'm not sure whether it's 'ethical' ...but in business you need to  find people you can work with, trust, and who have influence and contacts, plus good knowledge and advice.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/19/jorge-mendes-wolves-influence-chinese-owners-signings

Jorge Mendes is the Bernie Eccelstone of football.

Not saying he will have the same power in football as Bernie did in F1, but people like these need to be watched carefully and not allowed to get too powerful, for the good of the game.

Love it if the wheels came off, and they finish third. 

Lose to Cardiff in the playoff semi, who in turn lose in the final to Any other team don't care who.

Of course. Us up as champs, any other team don't care who, in second. 

Would also love it after us beating Man City they lose every other game until the end of the season and finish 8th. Relegated next year. Us as Prem champs, any other team don't care who in second.

PSG to go bust. 

10 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Lose to Cardiff in the playoff semi, who in turn lose in the final to Any other team don't care who.

Would also love it after us beating Man City they lose every other game until the end of the season and finish 8th. Relegated next year. Us as Prem champs, any other team don't care who in second.

PSG to go bust. 

Might be worth a £5 punt..!

3 hours ago, spudski said:

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Jorge Mendes is the Bernie Eccelstone of football.

Not saying he will have the same power in football as Bernie did in F1, but people like these need to be watched carefully and not allowed to get too powerful, for the good of the game.

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

There is no meaningful barrier to conflicts of interest so some agents can effectively run clubs for the benefit of their business and their clients.

Of course fans turn a blind eye if it brings success but turn all ethical when it gets their club in a mess.

So what if a rival of Wolves (us for example) wanted a player that he has an interest in? If he blocks a transfer or a loan in those circumstances what would the football authorities have to say?

3 hours ago, reformed_red said:

PSG to go bust. 

Lay off the crack pipe, son.

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So what if a rival of Wolves (us for example) wanted a player that he has an interest in? If he blocks a transfer or a loan in those circumstances what would the football authorities have to say?

He can't if the player wants to go where he wants to go,he could of course hand a brown envelope to said player and that might change his mind(not saying this happens :whistle:) but if the player still wants to go elsewhere then he hasn't got a say

They’ve signed players that simply shouldn’t be playing at this level but some of their better players , the two full backs being an obvious example are not those expensive foreigners

Personally I think a fair bit of credit should go to their manager - they were as well organised , and aware of their roles as any side I’ve seen at this level in a fair while

They also have , possibly , the best keeper at this level

Good players , well coached and organised  = Success

To see that we went toe to toe with them and were in no way outplayed or lagging behind them is commendable in itself

COYR

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They’ve signed players that simply shouldn’t be playing at this level but some of their better players , the two full backs being an obvious example are not those expensive foreigners

Personally I think a fair bit of credit should go to their manager - they were as well organised , and aware of their roles as any side I’ve seen at this level in a fair while

They also have , possibly , the best keeper at this level

Good players , well coached and organised  = Success

To see that we went toe to toe with them and were in no way outplayed or lagging behind them is commendable in itself

COYR

Frankly they were excellent.

They came back from the adversity of losing both their manager and a player .

They still kept playing after going down to ten men ( even though we were very good ) and were still chasing the win in extra time .

Level playing fields or not , if that was us who did that last night we would be singing our praises so let's recognise that we were narrowly beaten by the best outfit in the Championship and move on.

45 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not out of a £9m transfer but on top of it.

Bebe's transfer from Vitoria (3rd div. Portugal to Manure) It's Euro's not pounds, £7.4mil.

"At Vitória's subsequent general meeting, the club's directors revealed that Mendes had received €3.6 million of the €9 million fee from the Bebé transfer".

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Bebe's transfer from Vitoria (3rd div. Portugal to Manure) It's Euro's not pounds, £7.4mil.

"At Vitória's subsequent general meeting, the club's directors revealed that Mendes had received €3.6 million of the €9 million fee from the Bebé transfer".

Ah right - I was basing it on the Pogba transfer where the agent`s fee was on top of the squillions Man Utd paid as a transfer fee.

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Frankly they were excellent.

They came back from the adversity of losing both their manager and a player .

They still kept playing after going down to ten men ( even though we were very good ) and were still chasing the win in extra time .

Level playing fields or not , if that was us who did that last night we would be singing our praises so let's recognise that we were narrowly beaten by the best outfit in the Championship and move on.

Frankly they were great, it was an incredibly even game throughout, probably the 2 best teams in this division.

We have come back from adversity all season with a horrendous injury list.

Both teams were chasing the game to the very end.

The OP is about odious agents, who give nothing back to the game only take and the guy mentioned is the king of odious agents and very little to do with the actual game.

The game hinged on 2 sending offs both correct decisions and one possibly dubious decision leading to a defender losing his man, it happens in football week in week out, it's why we love it.

I thought we might lose yesterday but boy we gave them a game and deserved more, but for me now it's all about the transfer window and strengthening the squad for the rest of the season, this is probably the most important window LJ has been involved in since going into management, he needs to get this right by strengthening the right positions (I don't think we need anymore wide men) and strengthening with the right characters, characters who will not change the dynamic of the squad/dressing room.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I agree with the rest of your post Bob, but these days a keeper is judged on his ball skills as much as his handling, Ruddys kicking was worse than Frank's on a good day.

I know what you’re saying and it depends on how you play , and for us and many sides with current styles of play the keeper being comfortable with his feet is definitely a factor

But given any keeper in Champ - Ruddy would be right up there for me - perhaps old fashioned but I prefer an imposing keeper who first and foremost is difficult to score past ;)

I was impressed by both sides last night. Another cracking game of football. Impressed that we were pushing on to try and win it at the death and not settling for a point, and impressed with their resilience and fighting spirit. A draw would have been a fair result.

In defeat I console myself with the thought that Bristol City haven't sold their soul in an effort to prosper...I suspect that Wolves have. Time will tell. Good luck to them. Last night we were up against a carefully - and expensively - assembled side of well coached Premiership-ready players - the real test of the second half of the season will be playing against sides without such riches of talent. 

Encouraging to see such a large crowd. In the wider world we have a growing profile as football good-guys...which is a nice reputation to have. Now if City can make a success of attracting not just the core fanbase but also the many thousands of neutrals in Bristol down to the Gate we could be seeing crowds like that on a more regular basis...playing attractive football, and having the odd cup run, makes a huge difference. 

Archived