IGNORED

Can't believe some of the over reactions on here tonight...

spudski

... we matched a very good team tonight.

We lost to two well taken free kicks. That was all.

A draw would have been a fair result imo.

We are running on empty...some of our players are knackered. Playing with injuries. We did well to compete as well as we did.

A couple individual errors in decision making by Pack ( who I thought had a fantastic game ) and Frankie...however, it was a fantastic through ball.

Wolves played better football than Man Utd imo.

As for Flint playing up front...great move by LJ.

Wolves would have had a game plan coming out in the second half, no way would they had planned for that.

He caused much trouble and made space. Wolves looked at their most vulnerable when he was up front, until they scored their equaliser and FF got sent off.

Every player gave 100%...we are just absolutely knackered and running on empty. These injuries are killing us and took a toll today.

Will be surprised if we get anything at Villa.

Majority of the U23's will play against Watford, that's for sure. 2 week break for the lads will work wonders.

Just need the 3 new signings in asap. Vibe, Walsh and another imo.

Proud of the lads tonight...gutted for them.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

We are running on empty...some of our players are knackered. Playing with injuries. We did well to compete as well as we did.

A couple individual errors in decision making by Pack ( who I thought had a fantastic game ) and Frankie...however, it was a fantastic through ball.

Wolves would have had a game plan coming out in the second half, no way would they had planned for that.

He caused much trouble and made space. Wolves looked at their most vulnerable when he was up front, until they scored their equaliser and FF got sent off.

Every player gave 100%...we are just absolutely knackered and running on empty. These injuries are killing us and took a toll today.

Majority of the U23's will play against Watford, that's for sure. 2 week break for the lads will work wonders.

Just debating a loss. Calm down.  

Personally I am just so deflated because we could and should have closed the gap and put ourselves in a even greater position going into the new year.

We took on the best side in the league and could have beat them as for large spells we dominated.

Flint playing up top was a master stroke and he could have scored a couple of headers.

Fielding lost us that game today, him being sent off and them scoring rejuvenated them. All my feelings are directed at him right now.

I think the frustrations are partly driven by the ‘how’. Thought today might well be a bridge to far, but at the hour mark we seemed to be cruising. Aside from the mistakes, I think a key difference was their quality off the bench compared to ours. Really disappointed to lose...like that!

Better actually in this game than against Villa or Derby, so we go on!

We lost to a very,very good side who should go up as champions of a very tough league.Their subs gave them a massive lift and I thought Cavalliero was superb. I thought that Flint might drop back as soon as we scored as they had to chase the game and we were looking fairly comfortable with loads of possession and making them defend deep and chase the ball.We need some extra bodies asap and give the walking wounded a lift.I thought we gave them a tough game but as soon as it went 10 v 10 we started to drop a bit deeper and they looked dangerous every time they went forward.

I’m glad we’ve played them twice now. When it gets to the nitty gritty time of the season we know we can win against teams we play against.

Wolves and Derby are the only teams I fear in this league for our run in. The rest I’m confident we can win. I’m aware we won’t but I don’t think any other teams will cause us problems like tonight 

15 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Personally I am just so deflated because we could and should have closed the gap and put ourselves in a even greater position going into the new year.

We took on the best side in the league and could have beat them as for large spells we dominated.

Flint playing up top was a master stroke and he could have scored a couple of headers.

Fielding lost us that game today, him being sent off and them scoring rejuvenated them. All my feelings are directed at him right now.

Yes switching Flint up front created space for others and contributed to our goal. Unfortunately that master stroke was nullified by LJ not returning Flint to defence as soon as we had the goal. Thinks we would have comfortably seen the game out had he done so.

• Admin

I don’t see any great over reactions, just people posting their thoughts on what went wrong and something did go wrong.  No one has been castigated for a couple of individual errors or lack of concentration, maybe lack of experience in such a high profile game.

If there was no one doing that, it wouldn’t be much of a forum.

As an independent . You played well but got picked off by a bit of class from Cavaleiro. You then started to doubt yourselves. The crowd went very flat and a bit of panic crept in. Don’t lose confidence, you have some very good players that can be built on. Cardiff and Sheffield have cracked. Bristol lost to the best team I the league in a very tight game and can come back.

Am of course gutted we lost, but with only four defeats with over half the season gone, I’m hardly despondent.

We are stretched very thin right now, and are clearly running on fumes, yet we matched a team who I have zero doubts will be in the Premier League next season, losing out to two set piece goals, which demonstrated their quality.

A couple of days and we go again, this time against a team I don’t think hold a candle to Wolves.

Being I hoped for a 12th-8th finish this season, I’m still enjoying this excellent run - let’s get behind the lads and see how long we can keep punching above our weight.

COYR

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

Completely agree, though hopefully it was the manner of the defeat, coming as it did so very late was the cause of the overreaction rather than anything else.

As I posted the other day I would have been absolutely delighted with a point tonight and even 1-0 up against ten men I would still have taken it.

As you rightly say, Wright, Flint, Baker, Bryan, Brownhill, Paterson, Pack, Smith and (especially) Reid are simply fooked, as they are having to play virtually every minute of every game, made even harder by our cup exploits.

I hope we can find enough players to give as many of these 9 the week off once we have played Villa.

If we can add 3 in this window they will lighten the load until those out injured return, too.

This game captures very well my thoughts about this season.

At the start I was prepared to be happy with top half of the table and avoidance of a relegation battle. However the more we go on the more frustrating it will be not to go all the way - we will then lose a little perspective on how much we have improved and dwell on what could have been.

Likewise tonight, I had mentally prepared for 0 points however frustrated that we were so close to grabbing something and really could have closed the game down for 3 points.

Need to look above the frustration of today and concentrate on our improvement over the past 12 months. Can't change what happened tonight so let's look forward to the next game. This won't be our last loss of the season.

Was totally gutting after I thought we were the better side for most of the game. We played some absolutely beautiful stuff in the first half, looked assured, calm, and incisive against, by all means, a PL team in Championship clothing.

The loss was very unfair imo.

Maybe it was where I was sat (can't bring myself to watch the highlights yet) but shouldn't Steele do better for both of their goals? First one looked as though he should've parried it but moves the wrong way and gets his feet set wrong, and the other he dives in to the middle of nowhere and misses the ball? Someone sat in a better seat please tell me if I'm right in thinking he ****** these up?

12 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Was totally gutting after I thought we were the better side for most of the game. We played some absolutely beautiful stuff in the first half, looked assured, calm, and incisive against, by all means, a PL team in Championship clothing.

Maybe it was where I was sat (can't bring myself to watch the highlights yet) but shouldn't Steele do better for both of their goals? First one looked as though he should've parried it but moves the wrong way and gets his feet set wrong, and the other he dives in to the middle of nowhere and misses the ball? Someone sat in a better seat please tell me if I'm right in thinking he ****** these up?

Unlucky deflection for the first, a bit like the Qpr goal, it looks bad but not really his fault. 

Second was about the quality of the delivery. I think we should have had a man on the post though. Even then he'd probably have scored. 

13 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Harsh re Steele. Maybe something in how he sets the wall up, but Pack deflected the first in. Second, just a great cross, although maybe Baker should do better. Did not blame him for either.

1 minute ago, redfieldred said:

Unlucky deflection for the first, a bit like the Qpr goal, it looks bad but not really his fault. 

Second was about the quality of the delivery. I think we should have had a man on the post though. Even then he'd probably have scored. 

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Harsh re Steele. Maybe something in how he sets the wall up, but Pack deflected the first in. Second, just a great cross, although maybe Baker should do better. Did not blame him for either.

Cheers. Just noticed a bit of an anomaly with the amount of goals we've conceded from free kicks while LS has been in goal. 1 against the Mancs and 2 tonight.

I thought a draw may have been a worthy outcome tbh, Certainly to lose like that was a gutter.

61% possession though and you know what, a similar number of chances- fine margins at this level. Now, the possession stat will be skewed by their fairly early red card but let's not overreact here (if anyone indeed is) we played well enough and I think a draw could have been a fair outcome.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Well said Spud. 

The run was always going to end sometime - and to the top placed team after a gruelling set of games, it's no disgrace. 

Bad luck played its part tonight, just as good luck played its part in many of our victories.

We need to defend set pieces better. And we need to take our set pieces better.

However the interplay for Bobby's goal was such a joy to behold it almost salvages the evening for me.

How we've grown as a team. How good we are to watch when everything is firing.

We've lost to three free kicks. One hit the post & the other two they scored from.

They are a really good side but then when you are able to spend the amount of money they have what do you expect.

Unless someone can enlighten me financial fair play and them just doesn't add up.

Something just isn't right.

Archived