IGNORED

Preston player becomes a lottery millionaire

Assassin Reid

48 minutes ago, bris red said:

Why do people go public, embarrassing..

I'm not sure it's the wisest of decisions to go public, not for reasons of embarrassment but because there are so many jealous people out there that will forever resent your good fortune, the begging letters that always seem to arrive (even the nicest winner in the World can't possibly help everyone even if the requests were all genuine, it can only bring unnecessary regret having to ignore the more heart-breaking ones, and dealing with animosity from others).

The above just scratches the surface of potential problems that a wonderful situation like winning the Lotto could bring if it becomes public knowledge, it would certainly take some of the shine off of things, and create totally unnecessary downsides.

Embarrassing though ? NO! Can't see that... Why's it embarrassing?  ....

Good luck to the lad, but this thread already in a small way shows that in social media terms his public acknowledgement of his win has brought negative comments that had he not have win he wouldn't have received.

(chances are, if, he's a sensible lad and has the talent to make a good career for himself in football, that £1M will not be the only one showing on his bank account in a few years time anyway... Lucky Fella! 

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

I'm not sure it's the wisest of decisions to go public, not for reasons of embarrassment but because there are so many jealous people out there that will forever resent your good fortune, the begging letters that always seem to arrive (even the nicest winner in the World can't possibly help everyone even if the requests were all genuine, it can only bring unnecessary regret having to ignore the more heart-breaking ones, and dealing with animosity from others).

The above just scratches the surface of potential problems that a wonderful situation like winning the Lotto could bring if it becomes public knowledge, it would certainly take some of the shine off of things, and create totally unnecessary downsides.

Embarrassing though ? NO! Can't see that... Why's it embarrassing?  ....

Good luck to the lad, but this thread already in a small way shows that in social media terms his public acknowledgement of his win has brought negative comments that had he not have win he wouldn't have received.

(chances are, if, he's a sensible lad and has the talent to make a good career for himself in football, that £1M will not be the only one showing on his bank account in a few years time anyway... Lucky Fella! 

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, it’s only a month’s pay for the top players who, I suppose, already get the same regular begging letters?

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Ive never done the lottery.  Odds of 14,000,000 to 1 are just too long for me.

Almost as long as those for the Sags ever getting to the premiership I guess.

the odds are a lot longer if you don't do it, agreed the odds are silly but you just never know.

9 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

They've more chance of getting into the Premiership than the Premier League!

11 hours ago, RedDave said:

Why?

All the years I did do it I hardly won anything. Then they made it even more unlikely to win when they increased the odds! Now a footballer of all things wins a gert skip-full of lucre. Enough to make a cat laugh.

(Not at all bitter or jealous, you understand.):mf_sleep:

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Those were the odds when it was 49 numbers to choose 6 from. I believe it is 59 numbers now so I think the odds are about three times that! They did this so there would be a lot more rollovers with big money up for grabs so they would get more publicity.

Fortunately, a few years ago, when they put it up to £2 a ticket I won £208 a year for life via the lottery ....in other words I stopped doing it!

He's looked out of his depth so far and with Cunningham now back and Earl back soon, he'll be straight out of the matchday squads again.

Can see him being back in the League of Ireland soon to be honest and not making a great deal out of the game, so the money probably won't go amiss for him!

Nice family story and all that.

6 hours ago, pnefcok said:

He's looked out of his depth so far and with Cunningham now back and Earl back soon, he'll be straight out of the matchday squads again.

Can see him being back in the League of Ireland soon to be honest and not making a great deal out of the game, so the money probably won't go amiss for him!

Nice family story and all that.

Just heard a rumour that Bodin hasn’t been bought by Preston.....

.... but by O’Connor, who still has a lot of change! :P

Archived