IGNORED

Oasis Doc or programme called Supersonic

Mr Popodopolous

Which band was better?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Watched it other week. Was not bad I thought and though the i-player may run out soon, it showed some decent stuff and can probably be found on YouTube or similar.

More to the point though, jogged my memory that in the mid 90s it was Oasis v Blur. They had their own qualities- personally I preferred Oasis but not so much after the 2nd album. They still made the odd good song I thought but it became a bit generic in the 3rd album for my liking.

Anyway yeah, as the poll says, Oasis or Blur?

Oasis or Blur? It was never as simple as that. Both Blur and Oasis were outstanding in their totally different ways, and I loved both bands and still do. I always thought the rivalry was ridiculous.

Musically I think Blur were THE most innovative band of the 1990s, thanks to both the clever inventiveness of Albarn and the sheer genius of Coxon - in my opinion the most underrated guitar player ever. Image/culture wise, Blur were also responsible for reuniting the worlds of leftfield indie guitar music and the street vibes of the football terraces, which was exciting for the many among us with a foot in each camp.

Three years after Blur had emerged, the buzz started to circulated in the NME about Oasis, this new gang of Manc scallies making raw punk rock with a ****-you attitude. I bought their first single Supersonic on 12 inch vinyl on the day it was released, (still got it). It was totally punk rock and here was the most exciting new band since, I don't know, The Smiths? Maybe even The Specials from 15 years earlier?

Parklife and Definitely Maybe were among the standout albums of 1994 (and there were a LOT of great albums released that year), but the cool kids were lined up behind Oasis. The next  three years were incredibly exciting and the world changed forever. The vibe in the clubs of Bristol was of unbridled technicolour joy, the cocaine blizzard had arrived (I do NOT advocate the use of this obnoxious drug but there it was, and there we were), and I had more fun with more friendly young lasses than ever before.

Those mental three years were, it seemed, driven by these two brilliant new bands and the culture that surrounded them. At the end of it all Bristol City won promotion back to the second tier and we had a Labour government, but that was where everything peaked really.

Oasis quickly became an ultra-conservative rock group churning out lumpen sub-Status Quo albums, while Blur completely reinvented everything and started producing fantastic records of incredibly accomplished, varied and imaginative music that Noel Gallagher could only ever dream of making.

Apologies for the essay - I could have written a thesis to be honest. In short, Oasis won the battle of the mid 90s, but ultimately Blur went on to take the title by a mile :clap:

Agree with @City Rocker to an extent.

I could certainly appreciate some of Blur's songs for sure, the fact they sold 50k more than Oasis on a head to head also told aa story.

Was quite young then so the club scene before my time :laugh: but it sounds like it was a fairly good era for music!

Preferred Oasis though- I would say they became safer, more commercial post 2nd album in the main.

Some of their B-Sides were great though- not too known but for a purist better than the A-Side sometimes! 

This may sound surprising for an Oasis fan to say but... Wonderwall? Great selling single but overrated tbh.

It was a decent song with a great format for maximising sales- but pure music it was fairly 'safe' I felt.

One last point. Oasis and Blur...and indeed Bristol bands which I think were similar era such as Portishead...piss all over a lot of UK modern music.

This is the poorest, most manufactured, bland, 'safest' era of mainstream music I think.

Oasis wrote some absolutely incredible B-sides. Stuff like Cigarettes in Hell, Going Nowhere, Lets All Make Believe, Cloudburst. Those songs would've been absolutely ******* huge.

Still listen to both. Still have the albums. 

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I could certainly appreciate some of Blur's songs for sure, the fact they sold 50k more than Oasis on a head to head also told aa story.

The irony is that those two songs that went head-to-head at the height of the hype, Roll With It and Country House, were among the absolute worst the two bands ever recorded!

Roll With It, in my opinion by far the weakest song on What's The Story, was a plodding and formulaic sub pub rock dirge, and a prelude to what Oasis would become in the future.

Country House, while catchy, was a lightweight oom-pah pop song, written as a joke to take the piss out of their record boss, who had sold out to move to the country just a few months before Blur became the biggest band in the UK. And the promo video was just an embarrassing Benny Hill romp. The only saving grace for that song was Graham Coxon's plaintive bridge, "Blow blow me out, I am so sad I don't know why".

Make no mistake, this was a low.

18 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Oasis wrote some absolutely incredible B-sides. Stuff like Cigarettes in Hell, Going Nowhere, Lets All Make Believe, Cloudburst. Those songs would've been absolutely ******* huge.

Still listen to both. Still have the albums. 

Noel's always said he wished he didn't give them away and would have rather made Be here now with the likes of the masterplan et all. Could you imagine what that would have propelled them to? Probably global U2 type levels. 

I do agree with @City Rocker that you're almost trying to compare apples to oranges with Blur/Oasis. It was the media that liked to hype the feud up.. probably encouraged by both bands labels to sell more LPs for both..

55 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Noel's always said he wished he didn't give them away and would have rather made Be here now with the likes of the masterplan et all. Could you imagine what that would have propelled them to? Probably global U2 type levels. 

I do agree with @City Rocker that you're almost trying to compare apples to oranges with Blur/Oasis. It was the media that liked to hype the feud up.. probably encouraged by both bands labels to sell more LPs for both..

Yeah it was definitely record label spin, don't think the britpop label really applied to either of them, and I don't think there was any bad blood between the gallaghers and Damon.

I still retain that had Noel picked the best tracks for the a side of the BHN and SOTSOG rather than just big rock and roll tunes, they would've been the biggest band ever. He wrote obscure b sides that could've been number ones.

Blur were/are somewhere else. Did it all really, shame they're only gonna be remembered for song 2, which was in itself a mockery of American rock at the time.

Archived