IGNORED

Stands

Anderson412

26 minutes ago, Anderson412 said:

:laugh:. Meant more as a first game for a home fan, but thanks :thumbsup:

What's your favourite colour? ;)

Atyeo - Entirely reserved for away fans to stand and sing for 90 minutes.  Unless it's a cup match, then the allocation is reduced to allow home fans to trade abuse with the away fans behind the safety of a big piece of net
Dolman - A mixture of old seats (slightly tight legroom) and new seats towards the bottom (better legroom) where it's possible to benefit from refreshing rainstorms when the wind is blowing towards the south/east
South - Noisy people gather in the corner with the Dolman stand.  Quiet people sit in the rest of the stand and get castigated by the noisy people
Landsdown - For posh people in the lower tier.  People with objectionable kids and also for newbies/day-trippers/people-who-forget-to-buy-their-tickets-earlier in the upper tier

Personally, if it's your first visit I would go for the lower Dolman if it's going to be a dry day.  Or the South stand corner with the Lansdown if you are worried about rain.  And keep quiet about being a Man City supporter.

The South Stand’s is a riot.

Bring along one of those vuvuzelas, we love all that.

The Dolman on the other hand, when we score it's as though one has been  been transported to Lords and was quietly appreciating a four being scored by Mr A Cook.

It made my local library sound like a Metalica concert.

1 hour ago, Anderson412 said:

Can someone run me through the different stands and what they're like? Never been able to get to the Gate before but might be able to soon...

Now now, guys. Everyone has to start somewhere and you had better used to the idea that we are going to start attracting complete newbies to the Gate. Personally I welcome it, we need new blood, not sure of @Anderson412 age  but hopefully some young blood too.

As for the stands, you can check out @BRISTOL86's links for their location, but this might help you decide on your choices.

The Atyeo is the away end, unless there is an opportunity to add a few home supporters like we did for the last Manchester game.

The Lansdown is, I think I am right in saying, the most expensive and the newest so not sure of it's "identity" yet.  the lower area also has the family groups in it. 
The Dolman is probably the most maligned, the fans in there have a reputation of being quite quiet, but also  "grumpy", also known to leave early in almost any game.
The South Stand really come in two parts,  unreserved (in the corner by the Heineken Lounge) contains the majority of the singers and the self styled "Section82" who try to create an atmosphere, and then the rest of the stand which runs behind the goal. It does feel to me (as someone who is right on the edge of the unreserved section) that the singing section is gradually spreading across the South Stand. 

I can't tell you the best place to sit/stand as everyone likes something different, although even as someone approaching their 56th birthday, I love being on the edge of the Section82 area, but its worth noting that there is a good view of the whole pitch from almost anywhere. 

I hope that helps and I hope you enjoy your visit(s).

29 minutes ago, Anderson412 said:

I'm not a man city fan :P basically I'm a new fan who's not managed to get to a game yet haha

as for my favourite colour, it's definitely not that lime on the away kit ;):P

I would definitely encourage you to get down to a game this season.  With half-season ticket sales bumping up attendances, it's getting more and more difficult to just turn up on the day.  But the positive side to that is that crowds are good and the atmosphere can be electric when we get a goal or two.  There's a fair bit going on before the match with live music and a selection of drinking options outside the Landsdown/South stands.

I love the stadium redevelopment and as a veteran of some very poor football grounds up and down the country, I think Ashton Gate is the perfect mix of old and new.  Just be careful you don't get hooked because 38 years on, it still feels like a new experience as soon as I get within a few hundred yards of 'home' :help:

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It does feel to me (as someone who is right on the edge of the unreserved section) that the singing section is gradually spreading across the South Stand. 

I would agree with this. The enthusiasm of the unreserved corner is definitely beginning to spread across the rest of the South Stand, certainly more singing and noise than last season.

8 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Hate all those successful teams that attract plastic.....sorry.

Welcome.

:P began supporting about last November, not exactly a season you could call successful... 

thanks for all the posts though, appreciate the help :thumbsup: looks like i'll be heading to the south stand

22 minutes ago, Anderson412 said:

:P began supporting about last November, not exactly a season you could call successful... 

thanks for all the posts though, appreciate the help :thumbsup: looks like i'll be heading to the south stand

Welcome to the family Anderson!  Just curious as to why you chose us (especially last season!) and why it took so long? 

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

Welcome to the family Anderson!  Just curious as to why you chose us (especially last season!) and why it took so long? 

It was a choice of one from two........................

2 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

I guess I'm more thinking what went into the thought process - was it a sudden interest in football so decided to choose a team (could easily have become a plastic!), just moved to the area etc.. 

Having been a City fan for more than 80 of my 39 years (I was destined to be a City fan as soon as my grandad went down as a young boy!), I'm genuinely interested in the mindset of what goes into choosing a club later in life (i.e. of a computer operating and taking myself to the football age)

9 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Not quite that basic but admittedly I wasn't going nowhere near the gas...

I got my university place down here in the summer, and the manager in the Wetherspoons where I was working as a cleaner told me his dad used to be a fan so City came highly recommended :laugh:... was seeing where I ended up before I found myself a team - i'm from the Fens in east anglia and our cattle can play better than most of the sides round here :laughcont:

4 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I guess I'm more thinking what went into the thought process - was it a sudden interest in football so decided to choose a team (could easily have become a plastic!), just moved to the area etc.. 

Having been a City fan for more than 80 of my 39 years (I was destined to be a City fan as soon as my grandad went down as a young boy!), I'm genuinely interested in the mindset of what goes into choosing a club later in life (i.e. of a computer operating and taking myself to the football age)

Are you Benjamin Button?

3 minutes ago, Anderson412 said:

I got my place down here in the summer, and the manager in the Wetherspoons where I was working as a cleaner told me his dad used to be a fan

Student ?

4 minutes ago, Anderson412 said:

I got my university place down here in the summer, and the manager in the Wetherspoons where I was working as a cleaner told me his dad used to be a fan so City came highly recommended :laugh:... was seeing where I ended up before I found myself a team - i'm from the Fens in east anglia and our cattle can play better than most of the sides round here :laughcont:

Love it. I’m gonna make more life decisions based on my boss’ dad’s previous activities.

Archived