IGNORED

Section 82 handbags

Hartcliffe red

10 hours ago, R3d Army said:

I seen something that looked like a flag of the Falkland Islands being waved when Augero was subbed off. Could have something to do with that.

Augero displayed a banner at an international game, stating that the falklands arn't british. There is no reason why a flag of a british overseas terrority shouldnt be displayed in britain. The islands are british, have been since 1833, and will always be british.

He started it.

8 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Augero displayed a banner at an international game, stating that the falklands arn't british. There is no reason why a flag of a british overseas terrority shouldnt be displayed in britain. The islands are british, have been since 1833, and will always be british.

He started it.

I’m really hoping this isn’t a serious post....

10 hours ago, Tom said:

As someone in s25. I think someone may have taken exception to the flag of a certain British territory being waved when an Argentinian player was subbed off.

It wasn't - read Harry's post. 

10 hours ago, shelts said:

Islas Malvinas 

They're called the Falkland Islands

9 hours ago, RobinRudd said:

It was absolutely to do with someone waving a Falklands flag as Aguero went off 

It wasn't - again, read Harry's post, explains the incident in detail.

10 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

He started it.

Very true. Aguero & Co regularly unfurl political banners staking their claim to the Falklands before Argentina games. If he's willing to put his name to that, he has to expect some back lash, so I say the more Falklands flags the better.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

This is where we differ.

We were losing as I'm sure you must remember from Manchester.

Still, it isn't as if more ball in play time would have made a lot of difference, they were quite good. 

I thought it was fine.

Good old fashioned trying to gain home advantage. It was 0-0, we we’re under siege a little at the time, ManC were zipping the ball around our box like grease lightning. It took a bit of wind out their sails to give our boys a chance to regroup.

I was sat next close to the ManC fans and you could see they actually found it funny. They copied it and enjoyed throwing around themselves in the second half. Ironically it was the flags they seem to be cringing at and found more tinpot. 

5 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Unless you are Spainish/South American, in which case they are the Islas Malvinas. No different to us calling Deutschland, Germany. Different names in different languages. 

No they're not. Only the Argentines and their allies refer to them as that. The Chileans, who were our allies during the conflict, call them by their correct name, as recognized by the various international bodies - The Falkland Islands

2 hours ago, bris red said:

Morern football ladies and gentlemen.. all about clapping off opponents because they were 'entertaining' and also slowing down the opposition's rhythm and giving our lads the home advantage is 'tin pot'.. how times are changing ay. How the game is going though unfortunately :yes:

Like lots of others, I was blown away by the football Man City played last night, they were awesome to watch.

But applauding an opposition player during the game is not in our job description as football fans is it? As I understand it, our job (during play) is to intimidate the opposition and put them off their game, and to berate the referee when he gives a decision against us (whether he's right or not). By all means we can congratulate them after the match if you like.

Anyway that's the football fan role that I learned when I was about 10. Or maybe the terms of the job have been updated in more recent years and I just didn't get the email?

10 minutes ago, Trouty84 said:

I thought it was fine.

Good old fashioned trying to gain home advantage. It was 0-0, we we’re under siege a little at the time, ManC were zipping the ball around our box like grease lightning. It took a bit of wind out their sails to give our boys a chance to regroup.

I was sat next close to the ManC fans and you could see they actually found it funny. They copied it and enjoyed throwing around themselves in the second half. Ironically it was the flags they seem to be cringing at and found more tinpot. 

Worked a treat.

33 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Bristol legend. What he's done for raising the profile of the area needs to be recognised. 

I understand the sarcasm in your post Reg. I certainly hope the like that it got was in a similar vein! 

10 hours ago, Spoons said:

Weird is keeping the ball when we were 1-0 down and 3-1 down on aggregate !! That's weird and embarrassing !

Shame we are even talking about it on a night like this as players deserve all the spotlight on them not idiots who keep the ball and fight each other.

Nope I think the players appreciated it. Gave them a much needed breather. 

With the applauding the opposition thing... Its all been a bit of a big love - in, this man city tie. We bow down to their greatness. They give us a pat on the shoulder for being 'plucky' and making them try a bit. 

Always the way when David versus goliath. 

We get up to the prem and it will be very different trust me. 

18 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Unless you are Spainish/South American, in which case they are the Islas Malvinas. No different to us calling Deutschland, Germany. Different names in different languages. 

If they are so concerned about the language they wouldnt be displaying banners in english. Its to provoke a response.

9 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

I imagine the majority of you getting grumpy about this couldn’t even point out the Falklands on a map.

Ridiculous to bring this into football.

As AshtonPark said, Aguero & Ottamendi started it by supporting a political banner. He has to expect a response from the British public.

I was near the incident but also clapped Aguero off, nothing to do with politics, just to do with appreciating a superb footballer when I see one.  Man City are a mesmerising team to watch. Their speed, movement, choice of passing, team play, work off the ball to win it back at times were simply overwhelming, especially in the first half. 

I don't understand fans taking offence, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Striking fellow supporters though is an unbelievable reaction, so tada. The bloke clearly had an anger issue as he punched the OB in the face.

I would imagine in the cold light of day that he feels a bit of a tool.

Our chances of actually winning the tie were less than slim, but most fans were there to enjoy the experience, and what an experience it was!

Our team definitely gave their all and in no way were humiliated against probably the champion of England and potentially champions of Europe. Let's just let that sink in....

It's such a shame that the ugly scene happened during our best spell of the entire match. Calm your skin down innit?!!!

I do wonder if Argentina was occupying the Isle of Wight, on the basis of having stuck a flag there two or three hundred years ago, whether we might have had a sensible conversation with them about it by now.  Still, not really an issue for football, though I do remember watching the opening match of the 1982 World Cup, Argentina vs Belgium (I think), in a bar in Crete and being surrounded by people chanting "Malvinas!  Malvinas!". 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fighting with our own fans during our biggest game in a generation. How moronic and depressing. Too many shandies? 

It is embarassing yes, but I'd slow down on calling the participants moronic before knowing the full details. Say a fellow City fan had one of your party by the neck/throwing punches over a disagreement. Realistically most people would retaliate.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yeah, all that 'sportsmanship' nonsense, eh?  How pathetic is that?

Just an aside, I have to say that "You're just a sh*t Man Utd" wins my vote for the most embarassing chant I've ever heard, and totally lacking in class.

Personally I really think using Stockport County were his have been much, much funnier...

Archived