IGNORED

Section 82 handbags

Hartcliffe red

10 minutes ago, SARJ said:

It is embarassing yes, but I'd slow down on calling the participants moronic before knowing the full details. Say a fellow City fan had one of your party by the neck/throwing punches over a disagreement. Realistically most people would retaliate.

It’s moronic that it occurs in the first place. Always takes one moron to start it no matter how many are involved come the end!

46 minutes ago, SARJ said:

As AshtonPark said, Aguero & Ottamendi started it by supporting a political banner. He has to expect a response from the British public.

Nah. Of course Argentinian players think the Falklands should be Argentinian, just as British people tend to feel they should be British. Given Aguero’s incredibly limited ability to influence British foreign policy, I find it weird anyone cares. He is patriotic and supporters his country in a partisan way. Who cares?

43 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I do wonder if Argentina was occupying the Isle of Wight, on the basis of having stuck a flag there two or three hundred years ago, whether we might have had a sensible conversation with them about it by now.  Still, not really an issue for football, though I do remember watching the opening match of the 1982 World Cup, Argentina vs Belgium (I think), in a bar in Crete and being surrounded by people chanting "Malvinas!  Malvinas!". 

The British Government prevented that match from being shown on TV in the UK because the Falklands War was still in it's last throes.  I haven't the faintest idea why. By doing so they prevented the British population having a good laugh at Argentina being beaten.

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Like lots of others, I was blown away by the football Man City played last night, they were awesome to watch.

But applauding an opposition player during the game is not in our job description as football fans is it? As I understand it, our job (during play) is to intimidate the opposition and put them off their game, and to berate the referee when he gives a decision against us (whether he's right or not). By all means we can congratulate them after the match if you like.

Anyway that's the football fan role that I learned when I was about 10. Or maybe the terms of the job have been updated in more recent years and I just didn't get the email?

I agree mate wholeheartedly. Of course Man City are a quality team and im not disputing that but the likes of Aguero De Bruyne etc im sure receive adulation everyday of there lifes and im sure are told none stop how brilliant and fantastic they are.. do they need a love in from our fans aswell? like really? If it was down to me we would have booed there every touch last night and made it hell for them, thats what football is about especially as such a massive underdog we needed every advantage we could get last night.. 

But like i said thats how football has gone now, its no different to going to the cinema for many.. pay your money sit back and expect entertainment. It is what it is.

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Nah. Of course Argentinian players think the Falklands should be Argentinian, just as British people tend to feel they should be British. Given Aguero’s incredibly limited ability to influence British foreign policy, I find it weird anyone cares. He is patriotic and supporters his country in a partisan way. Who cares?

Fair point. Just a shame that British people can't be equally supportive of the Falklands without getting derided by their own people.

1 minute ago, SARJ said:

Fair point. Just a shame that British people can't be equally supportive of the Falklands without getting derided by their own people.

Don't want to derail this thread but in response to my earlier post, I do believe that all our territories should remain British as long as the people there want to be. However I do understand the viewpoints of the Argies.

Not getting into the Falklands debate but I do want to stress one thing. 

The person who started throwing punches WAS NOT the person taking offence to someone praising Aguero. 

The bloke who threw punches was the same bloke who praised Aguero. 

Basically, he didn’t just clap him, he was going somewhat over the top in his love for Aguero and was told by some people near to him to pipe it down. He then thought his best course of action was to wade in. 

I don’t think many people took any offence to people clapping Aguero, and the bloke didn’t get struck because of it. It was his over the top lauding of Aguero that got people’s backs up, but it was HIM who threw punches. 

2 hours ago, bris red said:

I agree mate wholeheartedly. Of course Man City are a quality team and im not disputing that but the likes of Aguero De Bruyne etc im sure receive adulation everyday of there lifes and im sure are told none stop how brilliant and fantastic they are.. do they need a love in from our fans aswell? like really? If it was down to me we would have booed there every touch last night and made it hell for them, thats what football is about especially as such a massive underdog we needed every advantage we could get last night.. 

But like i said thats how football has gone now, its no different to going to the cinema for many.. pay your money sit back and expect entertainment. It is what it is.

Sometimes you have to doff your cap to an incredible opponent. Nothing more than that. You make it sound like people were clapping in the warm up. 

I don’t think 5 seconds applause is worthy of a Neanderthal style punch up but whatever floats their boat....

Wouldn't do it myself, and think that it's almost equivalent to waving a white flag to applaud the opposition while the game is still on.

The idea, for a fixture of that importance anyway, is to make it as uncomfortable for the visitors as you bloody well can. That means having a crack at their star players, creating a hostile environment and making Ashton Gate a bloody scarey place to set foot inside.

To clarify mind, I wouldn't hit anyone who disagreed with me :) 

7 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Wouldn't do it myself, and think that it's almost equivalent to waving a white flag to applaud the opposition while the game is still on.

The idea, for a fixture of that importance anyway, is to make it as uncomfortable for the visitors as you bloody well can. That means having a crack at their star players, creating a hostile environment and making Ashton Gate a bloody scarey place to set foot inside.

To clarify mind, I wouldn't hit anyone who disagreed with me :) 

My thoughts exactly.

16 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

I clapped him off, don’t do it as a rule but thought he was class tonight, his movement, touch, finishing and inter play was different gravy.

i also respect what he has achieved in the game and the way he goes about it

Sorry, meant to hit 'like', not 'rubbish'- won't let me change it now! 

8 hours ago, bris red said:

Morern football ladies and gentlemen.. all about clapping off opponents because they were 'entertaining' and also slowing down the opposition's rhythm and giving our lads the home advantage is 'tin pot'.. how times are changing ay. How the game is going though unfortunately :yes:

Bollocks. I'm City mad but sometimes it's healthy not to be totally one eyed about everything. 

31 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Anyone who was chanting about the Falklands should be banned imo.

Didn't hear any chants, also the flag was a small flag that two people were holding up. The only way you'd stop that is to ban fabric from the stadium. I'm not sure anyone wants that to happen.

Archived