IGNORED

Aden Flint and Joe Bryan..

Negan

This isn’t a “they were great last night and deserve a thread”. No.. 

we’ve often asked the question is Flint even good enough for the prem when there’s been interest in him from premier league teams. I think this cup run has proved he is. Put him in a slightly better team than ours, a Stoke or West Ham and I think he’d thrive at that level. Wouldn’t be perfect but I don’t think he’d struggle. He’s done remarkably well against both Manchester clubs as well as every other premier league team we’ve faced. Shows that he can step up a level. If we fail to get promotion this season I think it’s safe to say he’ll be gone and I really hope he gets a prem move. 

As for Bryan, well.. he’s that level above Flint. He can easily become a top 7/8 teams starting LB. Everton would be an ideal club and he’s at the right age now. I’ve no doubt in my mind he’ll be playing premier league football next season, with or without us. May even be worth having a cheeky £10 on him making an England appearance. The lad is class, has things to learn still but a top level player he most certainly is. 

Hopefully these 2 are still pulling on our colours next season because if they are, then we’re playing Man City for 3 points next time they come to the gate! 

I love both of them: committed, dynamic and will bleed for the cause.  And whilst I don't doubt that Joe has what it takes to claim a regular starting place in a fair to middling premier league team, I'm not sure that Flinty's pace would serve him in similar stead.  

I agree both are good enough for the Premiership and Joe is a level above Aden.

Absolutely love the pair of them and it would hurt to lose either or worse still, both.

Joe's sliding tackles are simply world class, its a dying trade these days but when you have the speed, power and timing like Joe its simply stunning. 

1 hour ago, Negan said:

As for Bryan, well.. he’s that level above Flint. He can easily become a top 7/8 teams starting LB. Everton would be an ideal club and he’s at the right age now. I’ve no doubt in my mind he’ll be playing premier league football next season, with or without us. May even be worth having a cheeky £10 on him making an England appearance.

If you do please let us know what odds you get offered. I too would wager on that, but I get the feeling the odds would be shockingly low; young, quick, technically good and left footed. I would even be surprised if it would turn £10 into £100.

1 hour ago, Negan said:

This isn’t a “they were great last night and deserve a thread”. No.. 

we’ve often asked the question is Flint even good enough for the prem when there’s been interest in him from premier league teams. I think this cup run has proved he is. Put him in a slightly better team than ours, a Stoke or West Ham and I think he’d thrive at that level. Wouldn’t be perfect but I don’t think he’d struggle. He’s done remarkably well against both Manchester clubs as well as every other premier league team we’ve faced. Shows that he can step up a level. If we fail to get promotion this season I think it’s safe to say he’ll be gone and I really hope he gets a prem move. 

As for Bryan, well.. he’s that level above Flint. He can easily become a top 7/8 teams starting LB. Everton would be an ideal club and he’s at the right age now. I’ve no doubt in my mind he’ll be playing premier league football next season, with or without us. May even be worth having a cheeky £10 on him making an England appearance. The lad is class, has things to learn still but a top level player he most certainly is. 

Hopefully these 2 are still pulling on our colours next season because if they are, then we’re playing Man City for 3 points next time they come to the gate! 

They're both good enough to make the step up, though, as you say, Bryan is a level above. He seems to play better against better players. Should, and surely will, play for a top 10 PL club.

Flint's a hero, an example of what you can achieve by working on your game and playing with heart and character - I'm not sure I've seen a more-improved City player in the past 20 years. 

27 minutes ago, RedJim said:

They're both good enough to make the step up, though, as you say, Bryan is a level above. He seems to play better against better players. Should, and surely will, play for a top 10 PL club.

Flint's a hero, an example of what you can achieve by working on your game and playing with heart and character - I'm not sure I've seen a more-improved City player in the past 20 years. 

Nor have I, but Marlon is giving him  good run for his money at the moment!

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

If you do please let us know what odds you get offered. I too would wager on that, but I get the feeling the odds would be shockingly low; young, quick, technically good and left footed. I would even be surprised if it would turn £10 into £100.

The question was asked of Flint by someone on Twitter but Sky Bet weren't interested apparently.

England's greatest centre back never had any pace and he won a World Cup.  This would be Bobby Moore. So whilst the overall game is quicker now, Bobby Moore still had to 'manage' quick forwards.

In my opinion, It is more about reading the game and he appears to do that well, as well as offering goals benefit at the other end of the pitch.  I too believe he can step up a level. I think it was telling that Guardiola when to speak with him.  That speaks volumes in my book and was likely a sign of respect.  If Guardiola can recognise this, then other Premier League manager's will too.  I wouldn't be surprised if an offer came in for either of them this January, especially Flint for a Premier team that needs re-enforcing, believing he will help keep them up.

Flint has improved massively this season. He was once just a 'stopper' and a kick it and head it merchant and I thought he was fortunate to be playing in the Championship.

His development of his footballing ability has to be down to the quality coaching he's been subjected to and well done to LJ for working on Flints game.

Gone are the aimless long punts up the pitch and now when possession he lays off a simple pass to a more skilled player. That basic advice has made a huge difference.

Bryan has simply grown into the game as he's matured and gained experience. He always had natural footballing talent and if he carries on developing I can seriously see him gaining international caps.

3 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

just turned down 6 million for flint from brighton......

If that is true then  my comment from a half hour ago is very apt "I wouldn't be surprised if an offer came in for either of them this January, especially Flint for a Premier team that needs re-enforcing, believing he will help keep them up."

City shouldn't even let him go for £10 million at the moment.

It will severely damage our promotion prospects and they are worth a lot more than £10 million.  Also, it will undoubtedly create some disruption in the squad, as well as disappointment.

Keep him!

Flint's positioning and anticipation is what so impresses me about him this season. We all know he isn't the quickest but this season more so than before he seems to be in the right place at the right time, so that lack of pace isn't so detrimental. 

The headed clearance to prevent Sterling in the first game versus Man City is a perfect example. Top drawer.

He defends well, he frequently clears our lines, he scores goals and I think his passing is very good and direct, so his ball distribution is good too.  How many central defenders do this?

If we let him go when he understands the ethos of the coaching staff and club, how long will it take to find another that can blend in on all levels and play to the same ability in time for us to maintain our Premiership challenge this year?  Not easy!

Let him go at £10 million plus, but City keep him for this season.  That way, we retain continuity for our push for promotion and Flinty finds out if he is dispensable elsewhere (which he isn't here) because someone just wants him for the next 4 months to try and stay up.  I would want certain promises and clauses in my contract for a move to a lower level PL team, because players come and go se easily.  If dispensable in a short time, where does he go from there? Coming back is always difficult. Carey to Coventry didn't exactly go well, did it.

Archived