IGNORED

Phil Neville’s Tweets....

Maesknoll Red

I made a comment on here 8 years ago about the Egyptian lad that did then didn’t sign. It was meant to be humorous but offended someone and I got suspended. If I was to stand for politics now or become something in the public eye undoubtedly someone would dig that up and my career would be ruined before it’s began. Which is probably a very good thing !

12 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

But it is offensive and certainly not funny.

We disagree there Ivor but it's obviously not a serious comment.

Can you tell me you never started a tweet / group messsage / post with 'Hi fellas / guys / lads'?

I do think people look for things to be offended by at times WTGR.

53 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is that it? That's just a tweet to mates and humorous. I certainly send messages like that to friends and I'm sure most of us do. Maybe he should try this one? ;)

Image result for women offside rule

:whistle:

Technically that’s not offside if the adjoining door leads directly into the bedroom!! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This culture of going back through someone's tweets to find something to smear them with is getting a bit alarming.

The internet was a different place - even as recently as 2011/2012. I remember Wayne Rooney's tweets from that period which included things like this

Image result for wayne rooney funny tweets

He wouldn't tweet anything like this now, it's all stage managed by PR companies.

What Neville tweeted was just the same sort of things he'd text his mates. A bit puerile yes, but not worthy of him being punished.

Rio was the "professional" name of a 65 year old Brazilian grandmother he'd met!

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We disagree there Ivor but it's obviously not a serious comment.

Can you tell me you never started a tweet / group messsage / post with 'Hi fellas / guys / lads'?

I do think people look for things to be offended by at times WTGR.

No I never have. 

Like many in public service equal opportunities training in The '80s made me and others aware.  

Some of the views expressed on here are the views of dinosaurs, i.e. They are a dying breed

36 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Spot on! It's humour and not meant to be offensive. 

The great thing with humour is that, with the right tone and context, you can joke about pretty much anything.

The problem with humour is that it is subjective- that itself isnt an issue, but it just takes one person to take a joke the wrong way and a fuss is made.

28 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

But it is offensive and certainly not funny.

As Southgate has said everyone knows that social media can catch up with you years later.  Something every child should be taught in school.  Simply don't use it if you can't be polite.  Don't think Neville will last long in the job

People need to man the **** up, SIMPLE!!

35 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I think you might find it was more than comments. My understanding is that he was in a relationship with one of the players which was deemed inappropriate and he was asked/forced to go on a course regarding his conduct to make sure he was not taking advantage of his position as head coach.

Fair enough, not really been following the saga.

Personally - Neville's tweets don't bother me, I've got a pretty sick sense of humour and find it hard to be offended by anything.

Sometimes I have to deliberately try and see it from the other perspective, or so my missus tells me.  :ph34r: I thought Sampson was sacked due to previous comments (or at least, that was the only confirmed accusation.)

It’s now pretty widespread standard practice for potential employers to do a social media search on anyone who applies for a job....they will always find something if they look hard enough....in my last job I headed up the social media accounts for a pretty massive company and a member of the public contacted me through Facebook saying ‘how can you possibly employ someone like xxxx?’ I replied asking what they meant and they sent me a link to a social media post by one of our employees who was boasting about how drunk they’d been on a Saturday night out. 

As far as I was concerned no reply or action was required, this was an employee enjoying their own time....but how scary is it that the general public seem to think it appropriate to highlight people’s private time activities....?! And if you’re in the public eye it is multiplied by a zillion times....

What annoys me is there is no context added to the digging up of social media posts. 

Im not saying there was as I've not got time to research it (and I doubt in Neville's case there was), but let's say there was a TV programme about domestic violence on that night in 2011 / 2012 whenever it was. He tweeted what he did, then tweeted another post with a link to an awareness charity. GUARANTEE the context won't be given, just the "offensive" message posted. It's all about context. 

I don't act like an MD. I don't use social media like and MD. in the future, if I become an MD, I will act and use social media like an MD. 

Adult, you must be punished, because 30 years ago you acted like a child.

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s now pretty widespread standard practice for potential employers to do a social media search on anyone who applies for a job....they will always find something if they look hard enough....in my last job I headed up the social media accounts for a pretty massive company and a member of the public contacted me through Facebook saying ‘how can you possibly employ someone like xxxx?’ I replied asking what they meant and they sent me a link to a social media post by one of our employees who was boasting about how drunk they’d been on a Saturday night out. 

As far as I was concerned no reply or action was required, this was an employee enjoying their own time....but how scary is it that the general public seem to think it appropriate to highlight people’s private time activities....?! And if you’re in the public eye it is multiplied by a zillion times....

I think there was some young BMXer or motorcyclist in the states who earned a huge sponsorship deal for some health drink or food....and someone found a photo of him smoking a fag.  He lost the deal.

You not only have to be careful with any social media stuff.

2 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

I do realise that some of you are stuck in the 1920's, but I don't find sexist jokes funny or clever. I mean, did grown men really laugh at that image posted above? I might have found it funny when I was 7...:facepalm:

Please lighten up for ***** sake.

22 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

No I never have. 

Like many in public service equal opportunities training in The '80s made me and others aware.  

Some of the views expressed on here are the views of dinosaurs, i.e. They are a dying breed

It's humour Ivor. No offence meant at all. Each to their own I guess.

45 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I recently watched an old episode of room 101 on Dave and the once worthy journalist and now sad woman who will go on to any reality show for money Janet Street Porter was one of the contributors.

One of her pet hates was men who open doors or offer to give up their seats for her (something I was brought up to do), the next day I was shoe shopping with Mrs Bung and having opened the door of the shop for her to enter and being almost halfway in myself, I noticed an older lady walking towards me and I instinctively took a step back and held the door open for her and I even doffed my cap and she gave a lovely smile and thanked me.

But it got me thinking, that there was a flaw in Street Porters pet hate, like how the **** are we supposed to know whether any female is an accepter or an objector of this chivalrous act?, how do we (men) know if we will get the smile from a lady or a torrent of abuse from a female gobshite?.

So wishing to avoid this problem any advice would be helpful especially from the ladies.

It is complicated world out there isn't it?.

My view for what it’s worth, well I do qualify, is that I am just as likely to hold a door open for a man, woman or child and certainly don’t expect it to be done for me because I am a lady...but when someone does, particularly a man it’s really nice. I always make sure I thank and aknowledge the gesture, I certainly don’t just walk though like it’s expected.

Just as us ladies like to smile and accept the gesture I think some men like to make the gesture and get the acknowledgement, eg when I’m going towards a door and getting there slightly later than a man coming the other way he will step back and get the thanks when he could have continued. Nothing wrong with either situation by the way.

As for men giving up their seats on the tube etc. Yes I have been asked and it’s a tricky one. I don’t believe anyone should give me their seat because I’m a woman,  I’m not that old, I can stand etc, but once they have asked me I usually either accept or say I’m getting off soon but still thank them, I think it probably takes guts and certainly wouldn’t humiliate them or they might not offer again to someone who might need it more.

As for Neville,  I don’t find his tweets upsetting but not sure they, or his humour, would have looked good on his cv for the England woman’s football manager application. Anyway he got the job, I think they needed someone experienced as well as squeaky clean and have fallen short.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is that it? That's just a tweet to mates and humorous. I certainly send messages like that to friends and I'm sure most of us do. Maybe he should try this one? ;)

Image result for women offside rule

:whistle:

I find this really offensive, if you keep her in the kitchen HOW does she clean the rest of the house?

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

My view for what it’s worth, well I do qualify, is that I am just as likely to hold a door open for a man, woman or child and certainly don’t expect it to be done for me because I am a lady...but when someone does, particularly a man it’s really nice. I always make sure I thank and aknowledge the gesture, I certainly don’t just walk though like it’s expected.

Just as us ladies like to smile and accept the gesture I think some men like to make the gesture and get the acknowledgement, eg when I’m going towards a door and getting there slightly later than a man coming the other way he will step back and get the thanks when he could have continued. Nothing wrong with either situation by the way.

As for men giving up their seats on the tube etc. Yes I have been asked and it’s a tricky one. I don’t believe anyone should give me their seat because I’m a woman,  I’m not that old, I can stand etc, but once they have asked me I usually either accept or say I’m getting off soon but still thank them, I think it probably takes guts and certainly wouldn’t humiliate them or they might not offer again to someone who might need it more.

As for Neville,  I don’t find his tweets upsetting but not sure they, or his humour, would have looked good on his cv for the England woman’s football manager application. Anyway he got the job, I think they needed someone experienced as well as squeaky clean and have fallen short.

Thank you very interesting, my only comment about Neville is did he apply for the job or was he head hunted?, the difference being that if he was head hunted this should have come out, in the grand scheme of misogynistic tweets the moron MP who won Sheffield Hallam from Nick Clegg wins hands down but he has still got a job somehow.

Archived