IGNORED

Baker - Red Card

Bristol Rob

Final thought on this that has just come to me, spurred by Bennett’s “tackle” earlier.

My understanding is that because the ref saw Bennett’s challenge and gave a yellow, that it can’t be updated to a red retrospectively - refs seen it, made a call and the matters done.

In the case of Bakes, to reiterate - it is a foul, it is a yellow minimum (LJ said he was expecting that). 

So, does the same apply for appeals where a red is felt to be a yellow (I.e you can’t) as when a yellow is a felt to be red?

Put simpler, can anyone give me an example of where a red card has been downgraded on appeal to a yellow?

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Times have certainly changed. Seems like yesterday to us old folks that we were proud of our Normans, our Gerry Gows...  the game has gone soft

VAR   ffs   come on..

The game is soft in a lot of ways from the "good ole days", but it’s also faster, and injuries more likely from smaller contact.

Would you say that the two-footed straight on flying tackle is a more modern thing...say last 20ish years.

I’m 47, and it was a rarity to see that until I got into my 20s.

The hard men of yesteryear, could tackle hard and fair too, and it was more hacking and tripping than studs up stuff?

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Final thought on this that has just come to me, spurred by Bennett’s “tackle” earlier.

My understanding is that because the ref saw Bennett’s challenge and gave a yellow, that it can’t be updated to a red retrospectively - refs seen it, made a call and the matters done.

In the case of Bakes, to reiterate - it is a foul, it is a yellow minimum (LJ said he was expecting that). 

So, does the same apply for appeals where a red is felt to be a yellow (I.e you can’t) as when a yellow is a felt to be red?

Put simpler, can anyone give me an example of where a red card has been downgraded on appeal to a yellow?

Not that I can recall, it either stays a red or becomes nothing, never remember a red becoming a yellow.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not that I can recall, it either stays a red or becomes nothing, never remember a red becoming a yellow.

Cheers fevs, that’s what I thought.

Everything else around it (Bailey v Fulham, the other decisions in the game, Bennett) is just noise. We have to suck this one up whatever we think

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The game is soft in a lot of ways from the "good ole days", but it’s also faster, and injuries more likely from smaller contact.

Would you say that the two-footed straight on flying tackle is a more modern thing...say last 20ish years.

I’m 47, and it was a rarity to see that until I got into my 20s.

The hard men of yesteryear, could tackle hard and fair too, and it was more hacking and tripping than studs up stuff?

Maybe. But Chopper Harris, Kenny Burns, Tommy Smith, Norman... the list is massive I'm not sure fairness bothered these guys too much

got to add Souness to this list of nutters

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Maybe. But Chopper Harris, Kenny Burns, Tommy Smith, Norman... the list is massive I'm not sure fairness bothered these guys too much

got to add Souness to this list of nutters

Yeah, Souness was happy to go studs up, but I don’t remember too many others.

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My understanding is the appeals panel has discretion to downgrade the punishment (both suspension and financial penalty) if the original decision was deemed to be incorrect,  but the original decision remains on record. All somewhat moot in that case.  A Red doesn't become a Yellow.

28 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Times have certainly changed. Seems like yesterday to us old folks that we were proud of our Normans, our Gerry Gows...  the game has gone soft

VAR   ffs   come on..

Saw Dave McKay a few times. Hard as nails and boy could he play. Sadly there wouldn't be a place for him today.

Got to hold my hands up! I stated earlier that I thought the red card for Baker was right, or at least I could see why Sroud gave it. However, after much opinion to the contrary and seeing Bennett’s challenge in Sane yesterday I am inclined to change my mind. If Baker was late on Scowen then Bennett was still travelling from another post code before connecting with Sane’s ankle. 

5 minutes ago, dave36 said:

So why no appeal? could not justifiably be seen as frivolous and even if it were A ban for a 4th match would not bother us - surely they bad rep of a crap ref would be in our favour

4th match is Fulham I would certainly want Baker playing in that.

I don't think we will appeal but Scowen should take a look at himself. More rolls than Greggs FFS!

There's a big difference between being a hard player and being filthy. I remember Souness as more in the latter bracket. Sometimes the tackles could be viewed as more cowardly than anything else. Hard players would include Tommy Smith for me!

Archived