IGNORED

Baker - Red Card

Bristol Rob

Thought at the time a yellow and so did everyone else, watched it back again and it's still a yellow oh and if you look carefully he actually won the ball the players reaction is what got him the red oh and the work player clapping the sending off what a prîck 

36 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The letter of the law is:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent when challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent, is guilty of serious foul play."

There's nothing in there about whether you hit them, whether you win the ball, whether they actually get injured, or whether it was intentional.

Thanks for the clarification Nibor. 

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Indeed you could and I’m not asking people to make their mind up based on one freeze frame, as I said I’m simply adding to the discussion. The image I posted does show that Baker’s position before making the tackle was unusual and did not lend itself to a clean challenge.

And Scowen looks like he is about to go into a Grande jeté, you can find any freezeframe to suggest what you want. 

4 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Having watched the highlights, it's questionable whether it's a red or a yellow, but there is no chance that's getting overturned and if we appeal it they'll just add another match to the ban. Given where the tackle occurred, it was a stupid challenge to make

This.

Nobody on the thread is denying it’s a foul, and nobody (that I’ve seen) is denying it’s a yellow.

Our basis of any appeal would be pretty ropey - “yes, it was a foul and yes definite booking but didn’t think it was that bad”. We’d have an extra game ban in no time.

FWIW I think it’s some way between a yellow and a red card (Orange??) you can go either way but there is no hope whichever side of the line you fall on of overturning this one.

Never a red in a million years, its a yellow all day long, could see it coming as Baker is stretching so unless we have decided that the laws of physics don't apply to footballers there is always going to be a moment when he is off the floor, but by the time he's got to sown he's on the floor, studs down. 

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

The letter of the law is:

"Any player who lunges at an opponent when challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force and endangering the safety of an opponent, is guilty of serious foul play."

There's nothing in there about whether you hit them, whether you win the ball, whether they actually get injured, or whether it was intentional.

I don't see how anyone can argue this isn't a sending off, the laws are very clear.

Take the red tinted specs off everyone, it's a shit pass from Flint and a stupid tackle from Baker which was only ever going to lead to a red.

1 hour ago, BCFC Richard said:

It's a ridiculously harsh decision but at the same time, it's still justifiable enough that an appeal would be a complete waste of time. No way will we win an appeal for that challenge.

It really was poor from the ref though and frankly, if he thinks that's a reckless/dangerous challenge there were probably a couple more reds in that game.

It all comes down to the angle the referee see the challenge. One of my lads is a Ref and we often have a conversation after his game about different decisions, quite often from my viewpoint on the sideline I will tell him things like you missed a clear handball. But that’s from my viewpoint with the player facing me, whereas he’s behind the player and gets a different view.

The most important thing to remember is the referee only gets one view, and only sees it one time. Obviously it helps if his linesman is in the area of the pitch where the incident happens, but it’s often not the case.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

I personally would go yellow but I can see why it's been considered a red, given the pace and lack of control there's a case for it being serious foul play.

Baker didn't need to do it, it's the one weakness he has as a defender that every so often he makes rash, poor decisions like that one.

The ref was awful but if he got this wrong it wasn't by much at all.

Bang on-rash, unnecessary,could easily be perceived as dangerous/uncontrolled & wild.......and to cap it all why even think about jumping in like that virtually on the half way line??...it's not a situation where he was risking "taking one for the team"..

I think most refs would have given it..

Deserved red.move on..

4 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Strangely, Bakers red (3 game ban) could be good news for us as there is not a hope in hell we can let Flint go now in this window.

We told him to get sent off :ph34r: We knew we could beat QPR with 10 and reckon we can beat Bolton and Sunderland without him, I love a good conspiracy theory 

19 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I don't see how anyone can argue this isn't a sending off, the laws are very clear.

Take the red tinted specs off everyone, it's a shit pass from Flint and a stupid tackle from Baker which was only ever going to lead to a red.

I thought it was a red all day long. But my Mrs just said Phil Thompson was doing the game on soccer Saturday and he said never a red. Opinions eh!

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

“Stupid”, really? Would it kill you to be a little more respectful Dave? 

There is a growing body of evidence on this thread -  either one way or the other - depending on your view. This frame simply adds to the discussion and gives people something else to consider when forming their opinion.

You’re not one of the female England footballers are you? :facepalm:

2 things for me; Scowen made a meal of it. He made out that he'd been hit hard on the knee as he clutches that. No contact IMO on his knee, it's lower down, and even then Bakers calf caught him, so hardly a leg breaker. Scowen got him sent off.

Secondly, their player claps after the red card is shown. Reminded me of that little freak Toffolo when Wade Elliott was send off at Swindle when he celebrated the card.

And for what it's worth, yellow only for me. You can hit the Lino though, that's OK :facepalm:

17 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I thought it was a red all day long. But my Mrs just said Phil Thompson was doing the game on soccer Saturday and he said never a red. Opinions eh!

If Phil Thompson is saying something I find that the best course of action is to believe that the reverse is the case!

Archived