IGNORED

Baker - Red Card

Bristol Rob

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

I do think it is worth an appeal, and if the panel are in a good mood we might win, as at the point of the actual tackle, it is just late. However, the point is that it was not a late sliding tackle as much as a late flying tackle.

Stick in an appeal and hope, but winning it would be a bonus.

An extra 1 game ban for Baker if we lose the appeal though.

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Interesting to see it again, but definitely not a hospital pass in the traditional meaning of the term.

That would mean Flint's pass had put his own team mate in real danger of getting injured.

From my view in direct line in the Lower Dolman that wasn't the case and Baker's lunge was his own choice - he didn't have to do it, but he clearly enjoys that sort of challenge. Ill judged pass from Flint, for sure but Baker's initial slow reaction also appeared to be part of the problem.

That's how it appeared live from a distance. As I say, it'll be interesting to see it again.

P.S. Just seen the video above, nothing like as bad a tackle as it looked at the time, a definite yellow afaic. It would be good to see again a few seconds leading up to the challenge itself.

That clip doesn't show the whole tackle or tell the whole story. He leaves the ground and the ball is miles away.

Based purely on that clip I agree it looks like a yellow but the fact he was clearly making no attempt to get the ball made it a red I think.

I was watching on a stream and straight away thought he was going to be sent off. I would expect opposition players to get red if they did that to one of ours.

You can't even say he was unlucky because there was really no need to do it.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I just watched a replay. It is a tough one. He lunges in very late with two feet. I don't think there is any intent and I don't think studs are up as far as I can see but his trailing leg is right off the ground. He's definitely going for the ball but he misses it by a substantial margin. 

Some refs would give a red and some would give a yellow but I can't see how it will be overturned. I'm hoping it will only be a one-match ban though. 

Is it possible to have a trailing leg if you've lunged with both feet ? Heard he's a big lad but how many legs has he got ? :)

42 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Wasn’t sure watching it live. Watching it back on telly it’s a yellow all day long. But I think the crowds collective reaction to the tackle made a referees decision easy

Eh?! You think the City fans’ reaction to the tackle made it easy for a red to be shown?! Were we howling for Bakes to be sent off in your view??!!

3 minutes ago, Sparkz 76 said:

Personally I thought it was very similar to the Wolves sending off against us. Exactly the same tackle and he was shown a red so at a neutral point of view why should we be any different 

The Wolves tackle was different and more deserving of a red, albeit still a harsh red.

That player was going into Magnússon, Bakers tackle was side on. Huge amount of difference in force when contact is made.

I can fully understand why the ref gave a red card. Baker has come from miles away at full pelt and, whether he caught him badly or no, and there is some contact, intent alone is enough. There was absolutely no need for Baker to go off his feet, and in doing so gave the ref an opportunity to send him off. We can’t possibly appeal the decision, which could result in a 4 match ban if regarded as frivolous (a real possibility from those who rule on such things). 

It's a ridiculously harsh decision but at the same time, it's still justifiable enough that an appeal would be a complete waste of time. No way will we win an appeal for that challenge.

It really was poor from the ref though and frankly, if he thinks that's a reckless/dangerous challenge there were probably a couple more reds in that game.

Watching on TV and having the benefit of multiple replays - Baker's challenge was the worst by a distance. 

Luongo going through the back of Reid and then Reid going through the back of someone at the end weren't clever tackles either but clear yellows.

The worst decision of the day had to be the linesman giving nothing when Brownhill got clattered after nodding it on for himself.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Baker makes a challenge like that EVERY game. And he didn't touch the blokes knee so who knows what the rolling around was all about.

The player was clearly exaggerating his reaction in order to try and get Baker sent off - the same thing Bailey got a two match ban for. 

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Is it possible to have a trailing leg if you've lunged with both feet ? Heard he's a big lad but how many legs has he got ? :)

If Reece Witherspoon can have three then so can Nathan Baker...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42830535

Otherwise fair point - Not sure what the word is I want to use then! I mean the leg that didn't hit the ball and arrived second...

5 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

Watching on TV and having the benefit of multiple replays - Baker's challenge was the worst by a distance. 

Luongo going through the back of Reid and then Reid going through the back of someone at the end weren't clever tackles either but clear yellows.

The worst decision of the day had to be the linesman giving nothing when Brownhill got clattered after nodding it on for himself.

Onouha's on Diony was very bad as well 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Onouha's on Diony was very bad as well 

Didn't see that to be honest. Ah that must have been the free kick in the corner after my stream froze :shifty:

I'm not sure how anyone can defend Baker though, he leaves the ground and there's a scissor motion, way after the ball has gone. It is a red by the letter of the law and we would be mental to appeal it.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Onouhas on Diony was nasty and deliberate.

He had 0 chance of making contact with the ball from his approach and knew it, left Diony limping for a good few minutes afterwards too.

Yep and clearly was a frustration foul. That was yellow then Bobby got one a min later for something I didn’t even think was a foul. The ref was so inconsistent. 

I didn’t think it was red but there is no chance it’ll be overturned. More maddening is that the guy fouled rolled 7 times holding his knee with contact no higher than his ankle. So he cons the ref and nothing. 

Archived