IGNORED

Casual, Toothless and Sloppy

Lew-T

18 hours ago, lager loud said:

Something that's concerned me this season is whether our high energy game would catch up with us; and I wonder if that's what's happening at the moment, leading to some lacklustre performances like last night. Not a lack of desire, I suspect, just a lack of the required energy.

Last season we often managed the high press successfully for up to an hour, then ran out of steam. It's been noticeable this season that we've maintained our tempo for the entirety of many games. But over a few months that can catch up with you, and I suspect Jamie Paterson's recent performances, for instance, are the result of him basically being exhausted. 

I just hope the players can get enough recovery time to get back to the higher energy performances of the first half of the season.

The players had six days to recover, I cannot think it was energy related, more of not up for the fight.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

The players are closely monitored and if there was a drop in performance levels that would be addressed. 

I believe it's mentally where the tiredness is dangerous but even then LJ talks about regular one on one conversations with the squad to see where their heads are at.

What I have noticed is that other teams have copied our high energy pressing game and we no longer take them by storm with the intensity of our game.

It's as if we showed them that this is how to play. The old guard didn't adjust quick enough and preseason favourites like Boro , Sheffield Wednesday etc got left behind .

Bolton stifled our attack yesterday and we couldn't beat them simply on energy and movement alone

I'm sure we're doing what we can to address any shortfalls. But the bottom line may be that the players simply need more rest than our recent schedule has allowed; and with our injury list and squad we haven't had the option to rest players without significantly weakening the team.

Your point about mental tiredness is interesting - and of course it's impossible to tell from the stands WHY energy levels have dipped.

I guess we have to expect other teams to get wise to how we play and take steps to counter it: LJ's current challenge is to tweak things to counter the counter.

It's true that Bolton stifled us. But I'm not convinced our movement and energy were at the levels of a few weeks ago.

Archived